Century Pro cue tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by screw View Post
    Tried G3.. Nothing special. Especially at that price point. Elkmaster is better, simple as.
    Interesting - I was tempted to try it, but I think I'll stick to the MW supertip/blackspin and ADR which I'll be trying out soon :-)

Comment

MW Supertip is the nuts mate. Cant compare it to nothing else on the market. But at cost. Other than that, Elkmaster the finest cue tip for those who know how.

Comment

But worth a try though mate. Otherwise the curosity will always be there. Thats why i tried. Didnt work for me, might work better for others..

Comment

Bit of a shame though. I really thought i was gonna do a mark williams on someone. Will try it again sometime though as only had 1 session with it..

Comment

Have you tried Regency Pro tips?

They are on a par with Century and much cheaper! Read the lowdown below...

https://snookerzone.co.uk/new-regenc...dable-quality/

I'm also going to be trying the layered ones and his special blue ones...for review...
            Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

Comment

Originally Posted by screw View Post
              Tried G3.. Nothing special. Especially at that price point. Elkmaster is better, simple as.
              The tip debate is always interesting for as it'm sure it is for guys that fit lots of tips.

I fit hundreds of tips and unfortunately the Elks (standard) and to fair the Blue Diamonds aren't as good as they used to be. I'd give the Blue Diamonds the edge over the Elks at this moment in time as less fail (expand when fitting and stretch out so don't compress).

Many of both of them even come now where they are miss shaped so one side is more compressed than the other which totally is against what we require when fitting and using a new tip. That said, if you get a good one (once compressed), they are a great tip...............when it happens.

If you have used a G3 and compared it to an Elk you would have been better off using a G1 as it would be more of a like for like comparison as this is the soft grade in the range where as the G3 is the medium hard and not really the same as a new Elk which is very soft (unless you buy w=one of the many fakes out there which are rock hard!).

I fitted a G1 for a guy who is on the world seniors tour a few months back who has always used elks. He knocked a 147 in on his second session with it and he thought they were ok! He certainly hasn't gone back to Elks.

Now obviously it doesn't mean that if you buy a 1 you will get a maximum but you would probably need to pick a comparable tip to what you use to give a decent comparison and over a few sessions so you can see how the cue ball reacts as you get used to it playing a little different.

I always like to have a balanced approach so I'd say there are many great tips out there at the moment and we are probably spoiled for choice, each of us feeling our chosen tip cannot be beaten. The reality is that rarely have we tried all tips on the same cue so can do a like for like comparison as if you put a great tip on a poor cue you can guess what you are going to think about it performance?

As long as we all find something that provides us with the characteristics of a good playing tip without going out of shape, taking too long to play in and doesn't cost the earth then most tips are pretty good value for money when you look at it on a costs per week basis. I used to stick 2 pro v 1 golf balls over the fence sometimes when playing golf and that equates to £6 straight off so generally snooker maintenance costs as a sport are pretty low (I'll await a comment Mr Cue Crafty!).

I've probably fitted 50 tips in the last couple of weeks so I have a good feel for some of the more common tips.

Just a thought and hopefully the words don't come across punchy as they aren't meant to.
              Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
              Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
              Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                The tip debate is always interesting for as it'm sure it is for guys that fit lots of tips.

I fit hundreds of tips and unfortunately the Elks (standard) and to fair the Blue Diamonds aren't as good as they used to be. I'd give the Blue Diamonds the edge over the Elks at this moment in time as less fail (expand when fitting and stretch out so don't compress).

Many of both of them even come now where they are miss shaped so one side is more compressed than the other which totally is against what we require when fitting and using a new tip. That said, if you get a good one (once compressed), they are a great tip...............when it happens.

If you have used a G3 and compared it to an Elk you would have been better off using a G1 as it would be more of a like for like comparison as this is the soft grade in the range where as the G3 is the medium hard and not really the same as a new Elk which is very soft (unless you buy w=one of the many fakes out there which are rock hard!).

I fitted a G1 for a guy who is on the world seniors tour a few months back who has always used elks. He knocked a 147 in on his second session with it and he thought they were ok! He certainly hasn't gone back to Elks.

Now obviously it doesn't mean that if you buy a 1 you will get a maximum but you would probably need to pick a comparable tip to what you use to give a decent comparison and over a few sessions so you can see how the cue ball reacts as you get used to it playing a little different.

I always like to have a balanced approach so I'd say there are many great tips out there at the moment and we are probably spoiled for choice, each of us feeling our chosen tip cannot be beaten. The reality is that rarely have we tried all tips on the same cue so can do a like for like comparison as if you put a great tip on a poor cue you can guess what you are going to think about it performance?

As long as we all find something that provides us with the characteristics of a good playing tip without going out of shape, taking too long to play in and doesn't cost the earth then most tips are pretty good value for money when you look at it on a costs per week basis. I used to stick 2 pro v 1 golf balls over the fence sometimes when playing golf and that equates to £6 straight off so generally snooker maintenance costs as a sport are pretty low (I'll await a comment Mr Cue Crafty!).

I've probably fitted 50 tips in the last couple of weeks so I have a good feel for some of the more common tips.

Just a thought and hopefully the words don't come across punchy as they aren't meant to.
                Regency Pro tips are my go to tips...Just reviewing the new batch. Have you fitted anyone with those yet> ?
                Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

Comment

Thats a good post mate, and thank heaven for this site and your website to help us all not only decide on a new tip but how to fit them properly etc too.

For some the current flood of new tips on the market makes for a fun time time trying new gear, but for me changing a tip is a hindrance to playing. As said above, we probably all know what the optimum "characteristics" in a tip are for our own games and i'd say its wise not to look for more, shall we say "magic" qualities.

Im not mentioning the golf, pulled the tits of a lot of drives this year and need to visit Dr Hook.

Not this one.....
                  [IMG][/IMG]
                  ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                    Thats a good post mate, and thank heaven for this site and your website to help us all not only decide on a new tip but how to fit them properly etc too.

For some the current flood of new tips on the market makes for a fun time time trying new gear, but for me changing a tip is a hindrance to playing. As said above, we probably all know what the optimum "characteristics" in a tip are for our own games and i'd say its wise not to look for more, shall we say "magic" qualities.

Im not mentioning the golf, pulled the tits of a lot of drives this year and need to visit Dr Hook.

Not this one.....
                    [IMG][/IMG]
                    We all have a tip we like and then swear it's the best there is but there are many decent tips out there and that doesn't make the rest poor or deficient unless they actually are.

I came back to snooker as I couldn't take any more pain off the tee at golf; playing off 9 for a decade without hitting a decent drive was tough enough. Hopefully your hooks will turn into slices for a couple of months so you get a change of scenery around the golf course for a while...........

Comment

Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
                      Regency Pro tips are my go to tips...Just reviewing the new batch. Have you fitted anyone with those yet> ?
                      Hi Chris

Not as yet as I've got my hands full researching another website (and then building).

Trying to be a little careful with tips as I keep purchasing new ones and then of course they go out of fashion and you get stuck with a drawer full that cost a fortune.

I'm a little behind on the tip stuff and still have to give the Grand tips and Mr Ramsay's a go as they both have great reviews so I guess I'll add this one to the list!

Comment

We all have a tip we like and then swear it's the best there is but there are many decent tips out there and that doesn't make the rest poor or deficient unless they actually are.

I came back to snooker as I couldn't take any more pain off the tee at golf; playing off 9 for a decade without hitting a decent drive was tough enough. Hopefully your hooks will turn into slices for a couple of months so you get a change of scenery around the golf course for a while...........
                        I'm happy to listen to good reviews on here by trusted folk. If it comes to the fore that there is a tip I want to try instead of a phoenix black I trial them on my trusty #2 cue before my playing cue.

You must have got fed up with people saying to you "you could get down to scratch if you could drive straighter". Aaaggghhh!

I find golf much more frustrating than snooker but they have a lot of parallels. Asking for 4+ hours of good play to achieve a decent score is asking a lot. ( from my talent especially )
                        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                          I'm happy to listen to good reviews on here by trusted folk. If it comes to the fore that there is a tip I want to try instead of a phoenix black I trial them on my trusty #2 cue before my playing cue.

You must have got fed up with people saying to you "you could get down to scratch if you could drive straighter". Aaaggghhh!

I find golf much more frustrating than snooker but they have a lot of parallels. Asking for 4+ hours of good play to achieve a decent score is asking a lot. ( from my talent especially )
                          The subtle difference between golf and snooker is that when you hit a snooker shot off line it is only generally going to go 13ft at most so will never be far off line. If you hit a drive off the tee that has spin off it and is 6 inches off line it would be over the fence when it gets 280 yards away!

I certainly find snooker a lot less stressful and discussing the price and characteristics of tips is a lot cheaper than golf balls and driver heads!

Comment

I certainly find snooker a lot less stressful and discussing the price and characteristics of tips is a lot cheaper than golf balls and driver heads!
                            Have you got any opinion on the titanium ferrule? (There is a thread I think)

To me titanium was a plus in golf because it was light and therefore larger heads for drivers were possible. Meaning big bat to clobber ball with! Simple.

But for snooker???
                            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

It fooked my swing tbh and took ages to get used to after my old wooden woods....

I went round Belfairs in 74 (with two triples) once upon a time.

Not a clue re ferrules, but it is stronger, more rigid etc than brass?

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                                It fooked my swing tbh and took ages to get used to after my old wooden woods....

I went round Belfairs in 74 (with two triples) once upon a time.

Not a clue re ferrules, but it is stronger, more rigid etc than brass?
                                That's good shootin Blah, my best round there was 83 so you was a player! These days it's more fun aiming at the dog walkers. Lol.

Only benefit in the material as a ferrule I an see would be it's less likely to diminish in size from brass over time (from sanding tips, cleaning with wire wool etc)
                                Last edited by Cue crafty; 28 November 2018, 07:13 PM.
                                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Working...
                                X