Cordless drill when re-tipping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless drill when re-tipping?

I've just had to put a new tip on and I had an idea about using a cordless drill as basically a mini-lathe in order to sand and shape the tip.

All I did was place the cue in the drill (it's a 3/4 cue so unscrew the cue and place the male end into the drill, this won't work for 1 piece cues), place the drill on the floor with the cue pointing straight up and with your big toe you can control the drill trigger.

Loosely grip the cue near the top to stop the slight wobbling and then just touch sand paper to the tip. It gives a much better finish than sanding by hand and is much quicker. Can obviously also burnish the tip and polish the ferrule with some 0000 steel wool afterwards.

Anyone else do this?!

I have used a Dremel tool with a fine tip on it to bring down large tips and also to bring down ferrels that are too large. It works fine but you have to be careful and not go too deep.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

lol if your eyesight is so bad you cant fit a tip by hand and make a good job of it. stay away from snooker your going to tear some cloth someday.

Comment

Lol

Best done by hand and sandpaper...one slip and you could land yourself with a big repair bill

Comment

I've tried many ways to fit a tip and save time just for experiments.

Taken it down with a belt sander, Dremel grinder, angle grinder and good old sandpaper.

When you get high speed equipment you can almost smell the tip surface fibres burn. Some make the tip surface hard where the fibres have melted together.

You can see some of the jigs in the Thai videos using a saw on a jig and skimming the edges.

Personally, I think the best way is with sandpaper and an eye as you can feel your way to the right shape and the fibres don't burn or go hard.

Just my take on it!
          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by MrPearwood View Post
            lol if your eyesight is so bad you cant fit a tip by hand and make a good job of it. stay away from snooker your going to tear some cloth someday.
            errr what?

I can re-tip cues absolutely fine as well as play to a pretty good standard. The point was to speed up the process of shaping the tip and to give a nicer more even finish, and to be honest it works well.

You can control the speed of the drill quite easily and it's stable enough to not destroy the tip or cue.

Comment

I think that's a brilliant idea.Just be careful your foot doesn't fall off.I had a similarly brilliant idea of cutting my toe-nails with a scythe & MY foot fell off.

With apologies to Nursey
              :snooker:

"You're not standing in my line of sight,but you are standing in my line of thought".

Comment

I'm probably going to give this a miss:nevreness:
                It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

I use files exclusively, a coarse one, a fine one and then one of those fingernail files. This is all on tips. I have to admit when I only have a 9.5mm brass ferrule and have to fit it to a 9mm shaft it does take a bit of elbow grease and I have tried the Dremel which shortened down the process.

Put the Dremel tool in a vice and handle the shaft of the cue, not the other way around.
                  Terry Davidson
                  IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
                  X