No announcement yet.

The difference in weight between snooker and billiard balls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess the biggest thing for me is that the white definitely reacts differently and I figured it felt like the billiard balls were heavier.

I have the scales by the door so will find out when Ii pop down for a club comp tonight.
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
      I guess the biggest thing for me is that the white definitely reacts differently and I figured it felt like the billiard balls were heavier.

I have the scales by the door so will find out when Ii pop down for a club comp tonight.
      My set of Billiard balls are Aramith Tournament champion pro cups :-

Red = 141.45g
      Yellow = 141.43g
      White = 141.38g

so only only 0.07g difference ( I'm still rubbish at it though ).

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
        My set of Billiard balls are Aramith Tournament champion pro cups :-

Red = 141.45g
        Yellow = 141.43g
        White = 141.38g

so only only 0.07g difference ( I'm still rubbish at it though ).

Well shut my mouth!

Billiards Balls
        White: 141g
        Yellow: 143g
        Red: 142g

Snooker Balls:
        White: 142g
        Red: 143g

So, there must be ghosts as I would have bet a small fortune the balls were heavier!

Both sets were bought the same time, both are Aramith and both are Tournament so I guess it'sin my head!

Comment

well it has been said many times - a lot about snooker is "in the head"
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

well it has been said many times - a lot about snooker is "in the head"
            Gonna play in my head from now on.......

Comment

I'm really good at in-offs when I play snooker. I'd bet I couldn't get the white in for love nor money if I ever played billiards, probably because the balls are heavier

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                I'm really good at in-offs when I play snooker. I'd bet I couldn't get the white in for love nor money if I ever played billiards, probably because the balls are heavier
                Just go for pots then jonny and you should get plenty of in offs.

It's always a little amusing when I see a good snooker player potting the red a couple of dozen times on the trot to the utter disgust of a billiard player and I can still hear the words of a highly respected billiards player from the eighties shouting, "BILLIARDS NOT ******* SNOOKER!"

................I think I need to get them scales fixed.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                  It's always a little amusing when I see a good snooker player potting the red a couple of dozen times on the trot to the utter disgust of a billiard player and I can still hear the words of a highly respected billiards player from the eighties shouting, "BILLIARDS NOT ******* SNOOKER!"
                  It's potting their cue ball and double baulking that really gets them, something I did quite often when I first started to play the game. After a while you realise that it dramatically cuts down your options so you learn to control the three balls instead of just the two required for snooker.
                  An in off follwed by a long cross double cannon to bring the three together near the top cushion is first point of call when I play, from there it's cannon pot, cannon pot as often as you can to keep the red on the top/black spot.
                  And the in offs become easier when you learn to use side to spin the cue ball in off the jaws.
                  Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                  but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                    It's potting their cue ball and double baulking that really gets them, something I did quite often when I first started to play the game. After a while you realise that it dramatically cuts down your options so you learn to control the three balls instead of just the two required for snooker.
                    An in off follwed by a long cross double cannon to bring the three together near the top cushion is first point of call when I play, from there it's cannon pot, cannon pot as often as you can to keep the red on the top/black spot.
                    And the in offs become easier when you learn to use side to spin the cue ball in off the jaws.
                    I only play once a year in the club comps so by the time I've got used to it it's all over. Only played once in the last 2 years but managed a 63 which is very good for me as a non player (we won't mention the flukes in there!).

Looks like a really nice flowing game if you could play regularly and learn how to keep the breaks going.

We used to have a decent regular century breaker who used to play in there but he moved on; it was nice to watch when he get a run on.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                      An in off follwed by a long cross double cannon to bring the three together near the top cushion is first point of call when I play...
                      In billiards parlance its called a drop cannon. Being a billiards player myself, I can attest nothing more irritating than seeing a snooker player scoring prolifically by potting the red a dozen times and then invariably potting your cue ball and leaving you double baulked. Grrr...

Comment

Originally Posted by cpserrao View Post
                        In billiards parlance its called a drop cannon. Being a billiards player myself, I can attest nothing more irritating than seeing a snooker player scoring prolifically by potting the red a dozen times and then invariably potting your cue ball and leaving you double baulked. Grrr...
                        Drop cannon, thanks for the terminology.
                        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Working...
                        X