Newbie confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie confused

Hi all, i am newish to playing snooker, i have knocked a few balls round the table on several occasions during my life, but never took it seriously before, i have just started playing on a Monday night in my local social club, where i play darts predominantly, but was asked to cover one week as they were short of players, and i really liked it, so off i trotted and bought myself a new cue. I got a Cannon Synergy, not the worlds best cue, but it was what i could afford, i have now played with it a few times(after leaving it due to illness for almost a year), i played last Monday and lost on the black, must say that this is a handicap league, and being a new player i am off +15, my opponent was off +18, so i gave him a 3 point start lol, most of my team mates are all around the +35 mark, anyway, we got to the last red, i managed to pot the red, followed by the brown, then potted all the colours up to the black which i rattled in the jaws, and he then potted, so i lost by 1 point, and i was well pleased with myself even though i lost, it was my highest break, 25 points, anyway my question. The cue came with a Blue Chrome tip (whatever that is), and when i play a shot it sounds rock hard, i also struggle to get any movement on the cue ball, i have not had any miscues yet, i also asked a few team mates to try the cue and they also hard a hard time getting the cue ball to react to screw shots or really take any side spin, they said the tip needs changing, this is where i am confused, which tip to replace it with, Elks have so much bad press, don't think i want a laminated tip as i don't want to spend to much on a tip just yet, when i start to find out what i like or works for me, then i can start paying a bit more. I have to take into account that i need to play a shop to change the tip for me as well as buying the tip, so that is around £15 every time i change, and if i get a bad tip that's another £15, so any advice on a new tip would really help, i think a soft to medium tip to start may help me, as i believe this would help with imparting spin on the cue ball.
    Looking on the internet has really just made things even worse lol so many different reviews.

Cheers Andy

my recommendation would be Mike Wooldridge SuperTips [https://handmadecues.com/cue-tips/] three tips for £16.99
    not the cheapest or the most expensive but certainly the nicest I have played with, and they are all consistently good.
    These are now back to their best after a little glitch with quality a few years back.
    The tip has a good feel on the shot, they are easy to shape and hold their shape well, they take and hold chalk nicely.

You will have to register on the site to open the shop but that is not painful
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Isn't there anyone that can change the tip for you at where you play?
      I only charge £5 to change a tip and can't think of many places that should charge you more than £10.
      I don't change again for a bad tip..
      For that one you've always wanted...
      https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Hi Andy, welcome to The Forum. Its well worth it to learn to re-tip your cue yourself. Not that difficult. You can practice with cheap Elks so not costly if you mess it up. Even if you have to pay someone its not that expensive if you're only doing it once a year.

Comment

ask down the club as who retips for them, is this the shop you are talking about?
          Usually a club will have a player or two that will do it.
          Or as mentioned by a small number of cheap tips, some Loctite Superglue Gel, maybe some masking tape, some sheets of sand paper (not too rough to fine), and give it a go your self.
          If you have an old cue try it on that
          It does seem daunting at first but once you get used to it (as anything in life) it becomes easier and you wonder what all the fuss is about :wink:
          Last edited by DeanH; 17 January 2019, 04:09 PM.

Comment

where do you live?
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

So if i bought a new Stanley knife and blades, some super glue, masking tape, a clamp, one of those pencil sharpener things, a tip shaper and some sand paper and say 5 blue diamond tips, (one of the boys at the club said they are decent and cheap) and give it a go myself, not done a tip for years lol, did my own when i used to play pool about 12 years ago, but hey that tip is still on my old cue lol.

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                where do you live?

I live in sunny Bradford, Yorkshire ADR147

Comment

Just another quick question, what size tip should i fit?, the info says the cue is fitted with a 9.5 to 10. mm tip, so should i fit a larger tip and sand it down to fit?

Comment

Originally Posted by Carpy2009 View Post
                    You're not too far from Craftsman cues. They are based at Kippax, Leeds LS25 7AH and have very well stocked showroom.

If you were to pay them a visit, then you would be able to explain your requirements and I am sure that they would sort you out for a reasonable price.

Comment

Just another quick question, what size tip should i fit?, the info says the cue is fitted with a 9.5 to 10. mm tip, so should i fit a larger tip and sand it down to fit?
                      Yes

Comment

Cheers Paul, got 2 shops nearer than that lol, cue sports Yorkshire and Cue and Case (Funky Chalk LTD), so will try and pop in to one of them over the weekend, i got my cue from Craftsman cues, nice place.

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UW2J_0fFyqA
                          Loads of you-tubes on how to fit a tip. Here's Barry Starks one.
                          Most folk prefer to fit a tip slightly bigger than the ferrule and then trim it down with a sharp blade.

Comment

Cheers Paul, got 2 shops nearer than that lol, cue sports Yorkshire and Cue and Case (Funky Chalk LTD), so will try and pop in to one of them over the weekend, i got my cue from Craftsman cues, nice place.
                            No problem Andy, I hope you get it sorted and that you continue to enjoy your snooker, take care and all the best.

Comment

then you next port of call is Bex Kenna at cue sports yorkshire. Address: Unit 45 Mantra House South Street, Keighley BD21 1SX
                              Phone: 07511 147100 - tell her I sent you and she will look after you.
                              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                              X