Retipping with Araldite any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retipping with Araldite any good?

Just a quick question with regarding using Araldite to fit new tip please.
    I know the most popular way to retip a cue is with superglue gel but is Araldite fine to use if you have the time? Also, any cons with using Araldite in terms of feel, brittleness etc?
    Would love your opinions on this subject and best way to use the stuff.
    Cheers.
    VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.
    Long & Short Tele Extensions | 6” & 3” Ebony Mini Butts.
    Peradon Blue/Black Patchwork Leather 1 Piece Wide Case.
    Century Titanium Ferrule | ADR147 Tip | Taom V10 Chalk.

Can't see what the benefit would be. Mate of mine uses Araldite but that's because he's used it for over 40 years and doesn't want to change to "new fangled stuff" lol. Personally I couldn't be bothered mixing the two compounds together. The guys who do the re-tipping at my club just use Evostik but that's because they're doing loads of tips and Evostik is cheaper than superglue.
    For me loctite gel is quick and easy. A tube might be a bit pricey but what the hell. I only buy one tube a year, if that.
    Often wondered about the Tweetens cement. Never tried it.

Comment

No. Would be a quick answer.
      There's too much that could go wrong being a reactive chemical resin based substance.

Loctite super glue gel = simple and quick.
      "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
      National Snooker Expo
      25-27 October 2019
      http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

I used Evostick for year's with no problem but use super glue for speed, no waiting time.
        You would waste a lot of glue mixing epoxy and no advantage.
        It's a great glue and have used it for year's but never bothered using it for tips.
        For that one you've always wanted...
        https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

I've used many types of glues over the years and I guess my answer would be, "Whatever floats your boat!"

I used to used the Tweetens glue, then mainly loctite liquid and then on to the super glue gels of which I use Gorilla gel which is fine.

There used to be a lot of chat about the liquid types soaking up into the tip and the effects but by the time you have cut an over sized tip down I never had any issues with the base and soaking that would affect any shot.

As regards Araldite, I wouldn't bther myself but whey not fit a tip with it and see how it goes. We all swear by whatever we use but I can't see any real benefits to not just using a gel.
          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Cheers for the replies guys as always appreciated:applause:
            Reason I ask is that I have Araldite to hand and spare time today to fit or go out to buy. Tesco not far from me has Gorilla superglue gel 15g for £3.60 on offer. I’ve always used Loctite gel but last couple bottles seemed to dry out with fancy cap fitted properly??
            VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.

Comment

Originally Posted by TooDark View Post
              Cheers for the replies guys as always appreciated:applause:
              Reason I ask is that I have Araldite to hand and spare time today to fit or go out to buy. Tesco not far from me has Gorilla superglue gel 15g for £3.60 on offer. I’ve always used Loctite gel but last couple bottles seemed to dry out with fancy cap fitted properly??
              I always used a pin for the Loctite as the nib used to dry out but I would pierce it every time!

Comment

Is Gorilla superglue gel recommended them Marc?

Comment

I always use an epoxy resin like Araldite, my fave at the moment is Zpoxy 30 minute formula which sets in 30 minutes and isn't rock hard when set so will not crack with constant impacts. I also use this glue for joints and ferrules so have a pack handy at all times.
                  Never had a tip come off or come loose with epoxy resin but ALL old glue must be removed from the end of the cue as glue doesn't stick to glue, the bottom of the tip fine sanded flat and EQUAL amounts of both compounds mixed until no air bubbles remain.
                  Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                  but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by TooDark View Post
                    Is Gorilla superglue gel recommended them Marc?
                    I like it mate and it doesn't give me any grief;; just remember to shake the bottle to help it mix before it's use. As I said, I used to use the Loctite liquid and that was still ok in my opinion but you had tp be quick to position the tip; my personal preference would be the Gorilla Gel.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                      I always use an epoxy resin like Araldite, my fave at the moment is Zpoxy 30 minute formula which sets in 30 minutes and isn't rock hard when set so will not crack with constant impacts. I also use this glue for joints and ferrules so have a pack handy at all times.
                      Never had a tip come off or come loose with epoxy resin but ALL old glue must be removed from the end of the cue as glue doesn't stick to glue, the bottom of the tip fine sanded flat and EQUAL amounts of both compounds mixed until no air bubbles remain.
                      Hi VMAX
                      Do you get any residue lines under your ferrules when fitting them. I did hear of someone who kept getting a line of Araldite around the base of the ferrule after each fitting. Even the though the Araldite was clear it managed to give him a dark line (possibly a reaction to the brass).

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                        Can you pm me where you get that Zpoxy please.

Comment

It's a bloody snooker tip! Not a replacement knee!

Tip off, remove crap, sand flat, sand tip flat, dollop of super glue gel, put tip on, press and hold, wait a bit, shape, play... All over in 10/15 minutes until you need a new tip.

You won't remember what glue you're using when you're playing. If it sticks, it works.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                            Hi VMAX
                            Do you get any residue lines under your ferrules when fitting them. I did hear of someone who kept getting a line of Araldite around the base of the ferrule after each fitting. Even the though the Araldite was clear it managed to give him a dark line (possibly a reaction to the brass).
                            Haven't had anything like that, don't use a lot for the ferrule, just a smear as it's a tight fit anyway, wipe away any excess while it's still wet with white spirit and it's OK.

Originally Posted by Ninja.cues View Post
                            Can you pm me where you get that Zpoxy please.
                            Zpoxy is freely available on ebay.
                            Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Thanks vmax, I will have a look.

Comment

Working...
                              X