No announcement yet.

Question re snooker glasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Chris, nice to see you on the forum. Question of snooker glasses crops up now and again. If you read Hunters posts I’m afraid he’s binned them so sending them back isn’t an option. I did suggest that too him at the time I seem to remember.
    I’ve had my snookerspex for a few years now and they’ve been fine. Just had my eyes tested and no change to my prescription so will stick with what I’ve got for another couple of years.

Comment

Having spent god knows how much money on snooker glasses over the years, but in the thousands of pounds, I would say than if you can then use contact lenses - sadly I have no tear ducts So I can't
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

I have also spent far too much money on snooker glasses and also a couple of long trips to see Chris , who was very good . But I just could not get the line of sight correct . It is very hard trying to explain to someone who can't see what you are looking at the issue . So I reverted back to my oversized glasses . I.E a larger frame . Whilst this is not ideal , it is ok . What I have noticed , is that when you play well the glasses are not a factor . You don't think about them , but when you play poorly you seem to notice the light affecting you . So in my case it is about concentration .
        I had a reasonable break for me a few weeks ago , 73 , and didn't even think about the glare , the rims etc . But you don't realise this until afterwards !

I tried contact lenses , but I have a slight astigmatism ……...so unfortunately I am unable to use them .
        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post

I tried contact lenses , but I have a slight astigmatism ……...so unfortunately I am unable to use them .
          I used my glasses and looked straight at a tiled wall. What I noticed was that everything straight in front of me the grout was straight and and every line in the peripheral vision was slanted. It's not the same with all glasses but it was a struggle to pot balls in my peripheral vision, hence I tried the lenses.

I also has astigmatism so I use 'Toric' daily disposables which are made for this especially.

Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Quite a few contact lenses around now which correct varying degrees of astigmatism. I tried a few when I was experimenting with contacts. Optician was very helpful.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post
              Quite a few contact lenses around now which correct varying degrees of astigmatism. I tried a few when I was experimenting with contacts. Optician was very helpful.
              Yeah I went through a few until I found the one that was right for me.

I only where them at snooker or golf and only for the duration of the session so not too bad on my eyes. I use the Alcon Toric Daily Disposables from Specsavers.
              Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
              Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
              Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

The angle of the lenses of your glasses when down in the stance is vitally important as to whether you can focus on what you are looking at. It may look good standing up but a bit out of focus when down so you need to play around with how the glasses sit on your nose by tilting them forwards or backwards, arms off the ears, with your hands when in the stance position and focussing on a ball at distance until you arrive at an angle where you can see it clearly. This will be with either a forward tilt or a backwards tilt (mostly backwards) so then bend the arms a tad to replicate the angle you found with your hand tilt.
                Experiment until you get it spot on and after you have done this you will naturally tilt your head when stood up to get good vision when lining up the shot so no worries there.

If you can see Chris at snookerspex in person he will do this for you in store.
                Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Is there anywhere I could get snooker glasses for just a few quid ? i.e. just like you can pick up a pair of reading glasses in Boots for about ?15 with set magnification of 1.0 or 2.0 etc . I need a pair of 1.0 magnification in both lenses or possibly 1.25 . Why is there this lunacy about charging hundreds ? Seems an awful rip off. I use off the shelf Foster Grants 1.0 mag in both lenses for snooker but need bigger lenses slightly tilted.

Comment

I used Bowden opticians in Bolton would highly recommend talk to mark I got a pair called model mark only £75 inc prescription and delivery got them in 2 days !!!

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                      The angle of the lenses of your glasses when down in the stance is vitally important as to whether you can focus on what you are looking at. It may look good standing up but a bit out of focus when down so you need to play around with how the glasses sit on your nose by tilting them forwards or backwards, arms off the ears, with your hands when in the stance position and focussing on a ball at distance until you arrive at an angle where you can see it clearly. This will be with either a forward tilt or a backwards tilt (mostly backwards) so then bend the arms a tad to replicate the angle you found with your hand tilt.
                      Experiment until you get it spot on and after you have done this you will naturally tilt your head when stood up to get good vision when lining up the shot so no worries there.

If you can see Chris at snookerspex in person he will do this for you in store.
                      Can you go and see him in person? I didn't know that, thought it was just an Internet company. Do you have a contact for him Vmax?
                      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

Can you go and see him in person? I didn't know that, thought it was just an Internet company. Do you have a contact for him Vmax?
                        Chris Cheshire is on facebook if you wish to contact him.
                        And his website lists his phone number

Telephone : (0044) 01386 859109
                        Mobile : +447792203039
                        Email : Chris@snookerspex.com

Comment

Originally Posted by Delphi View Post

Chris Cheshire is on facebook if you wish to contact him.
                          And his website lists his phone number

Telephone : (0044) 01386 859109
                          Mobile : +447792203039
                          Email : Chris@snookerspex.com
                          Cheers Delphi, it always put me off using him as it was just over the Internet and all the palaver of posting them back and forward if they weren't quite right.
                          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Cheers Delphi, it always put me off using him as it was just over the Internet and all the palaver of posting them back and forward if they weren't quite right.
                            You’re right. Bit of a hassle posting back but if it’s something simple like adjusting the legs/nose pads then any Optician will do it for you free of charge. I’ve popped into my local Specsavers a few times.

Comment

He's an optician with a shop but if you can't travel to see him in person he asks you to send him your prescription along with two photographs of you down in your stance, one from directly in front so he can see where your vision centre is and one from side on so he can determine the angle your lenses need to be. If it's a bit out then you can send them back for adjustment. I did that with mine but they were still a bit out when returned so I adjusted them myself by using two sets of hand pliers, very easy to do and now they're spot on.
                              Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                              but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post

He's an optician with a shop but if you can't travel to see him in person he asks you to send him your prescription along with two photographs of you down in your stance, one from directly in front so he can see where your vision centre is and one from side on so he can determine the angle your lenses need to be. If it's a bit out then you can send them back for adjustment. I did that with mine but they were still a bit out when returned so I adjusted them myself by using two sets of hand pliers, very easy to do and now they're spot on.
                                I wouldn’t go near my glasses with a pair of pliers. I’m the worlds worst DIY person. I broke the leg on my normal glasses when trying to give them a tweak. Clumsy sod lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X