X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vmax
    replied
    Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

He's about three hours from me, it's worth the trip I think if everything is sorted in the one go.
    Do they take a bit of getting used to, is your vision clear close up amongst the balls and on long shots? I tried contact lenses they were great close in but worse far away.
    If you don't wear normal daily prescription glasses then they will take some getting used to, if you do then it will take about ten minutes for the brain to re-calculate the info it's receiving. After that it's instant focus as soon as you put them on. Clear vision at every distance, and like you I found contact lenses good close in but poor at distance, couldn't see a definite edge of the object ball.
    You could like me specify a prescription that gives you good vision within a certain range rather than a general prescription for everyday use, I plumped for three to twenty feet as you won't be looking any closer or further than that. In order to see a touching ball I need to take them off as I'm myopic anyway and don't need glasses for reading only for distance.

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    Cheers Starsky, much appreciated. The way I would describe my vision now is SD but with vasalin smeared on the screen.

Leave a comment:

• Starsky
    replied

He's about three hours from me, it's worth the trip I think if everything is sorted in the one go.
    Do they take a bit of getting used to, is your vision clear close up amongst the balls and on long shots? I tried contact lenses they were great close in but worse far away.
    If you already wear reading glasses then they don’t take that long . I would spend a bit of time by yourself first though so you maximize your table time with them .
    I would say it took me about a month before I didn’t notice them anymore. I couldn’t play without them now .

Both amongst the balls and long shots are clearer for me . I would say it’s the longer shots especially the thinner nicks back to safety that really benefit from before though .

It’s like playing in HD compared to SD is the best I can describe it(for me anyway) .

I like them that much I purchased two identical pairs in case one broke 😉

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    Originally Posted by vmax View Post

He's an optician with a shop but if you can't travel to see him in person he asks you to send him your prescription along with two photographs of you down in your stance, one from directly in front so he can see where your vision centre is and one from side on so he can determine the angle your lenses need to be. If it's a bit out then you can send them back for adjustment. I did that with mine but they were still a bit out when returned so I adjusted them myself by using two sets of hand pliers, very easy to do and now they're spot on.

Leave a comment:

• Nifty50
    replied

He's an optician with a shop but if you can't travel to see him in person he asks you to send him your prescription along with two photographs of you down in your stance, one from directly in front so he can see where your vision centre is and one from side on so he can determine the angle your lenses need to be. If it's a bit out then you can send them back for adjustment. I did that with mine but they were still a bit out when returned so I adjusted them myself by using two sets of hand pliers, very easy to do and now they're spot on.
    I wouldn’t go near my glasses with a pair of pliers. I’m the worlds worst DIY person. I broke the leg on my normal glasses when trying to give them a tweak. Clumsy sod lol.

Leave a comment:

• vmax
    replied

Can you go and see him in person? I didn't know that, thought it was just an Internet company. Do you have a contact for him Vmax?

Leave a comment:

• Nifty50
    replied
    Cheers Delphi, it always put me off using him as it was just over the Internet and all the palaver of posting them back and forward if they weren't quite right.
    You’re right. Bit of a hassle posting back but if it’s something simple like adjusting the legs/nose pads then any Optician will do it for you free of charge. I’ve popped into my local Specsavers a few times.

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    Originally Posted by Delphi View Post

Chris Cheshire is on facebook if you wish to contact him.
    And his website lists his phone number

Telephone : (0044) 01386 859109
    Mobile : +447792203039
    Email : Chris@snookerspex.com
    Cheers Delphi, it always put me off using him as it was just over the Internet and all the palaver of posting them back and forward if they weren't quite right.

Leave a comment:

• Delphi
    replied

Can you go and see him in person? I didn't know that, thought it was just an Internet company. Do you have a contact for him Vmax?
    Chris Cheshire is on facebook if you wish to contact him.
    And his website lists his phone number

Telephone : (0044) 01386 859109
    Mobile : +447792203039
    Email : Chris@snookerspex.com

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    The angle of the lenses of your glasses when down in the stance is vitally important as to whether you can focus on what you are looking at. It may look good standing up but a bit out of focus when down so you need to play around with how the glasses sit on your nose by tilting them forwards or backwards, arms off the ears, with your hands when in the stance position and focussing on a ball at distance until you arrive at an angle where you can see it clearly. This will be with either a forward tilt or a backwards tilt (mostly backwards) so then bend the arms a tad to replicate the angle you found with your hand tilt.
    Experiment until you get it spot on and after you have done this you will naturally tilt your head when stood up to get good vision when lining up the shot so no worries there.

If you can see Chris at snookerspex in person he will do this for you in store.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Mac 147
    replied
    I used Bowden opticians in Bolton would highly recommend talk to mark I got a pair called model mark only £75 inc prescription and delivery got them in 2 days !!!

Leave a comment:

• balkend
    replied
    Is there anywhere I could get snooker glasses for just a few quid ? i.e. just like you can pick up a pair of reading glasses in Boots for about ?15 with set magnification of 1.0 or 2.0 etc . I need a pair of 1.0 magnification in both lenses or possibly 1.25 . Why is there this lunacy about charging hundreds ? Seems an awful rip off. I use off the shelf Foster Grants 1.0 mag in both lenses for snooker but need bigger lenses slightly tilted.

Leave a comment:

• vmax
    replied
    The angle of the lenses of your glasses when down in the stance is vitally important as to whether you can focus on what you are looking at. It may look good standing up but a bit out of focus when down so you need to play around with how the glasses sit on your nose by tilting them forwards or backwards, arms off the ears, with your hands when in the stance position and focussing on a ball at distance until you arrive at an angle where you can see it clearly. This will be with either a forward tilt or a backwards tilt (mostly backwards) so then bend the arms a tad to replicate the angle you found with your hand tilt.
    Experiment until you get it spot on and after you have done this you will naturally tilt your head when stood up to get good vision when lining up the shot so no worries there.

If you can see Chris at snookerspex in person he will do this for you in store.

Leave a comment:

• Shockerz
    replied
    Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post
    Quite a few contact lenses around now which correct varying degrees of astigmatism. I tried a few when I was experimenting with contacts. Optician was very helpful.
    Yeah I went through a few until I found the one that was right for me.

I only where them at snooker or golf and only for the duration of the session so not too bad on my eyes. I use the Alcon Toric Daily Disposables from Specsavers.

Leave a comment:

• Nifty50
    replied
    Quite a few contact lenses around now which correct varying degrees of astigmatism. I tried a few when I was experimenting with contacts. Optician was very helpful.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X