X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by x3dnd3x View Post
    Originally Posted by Inoffthered View Post
    Tip looks fine m8, I'd be happy with that on my cue. What brand of tip did you use?
    Its a Kamui tan medium. Its suppose to be a pool tip but I sanded the 10 layers to 5. It was free from my friend so might as well try it out. Used to be using Tailsman medium.
    I think I read that some people just cut the tip on half so they have 2 tips instead of sanding down the layers.

Comment

• p2user:

Cutting the tip in half is fine however you must be very careful to cut in line with the layers. I have some tips here from ADR which are called 'Bentleys' which I think were made for pool at they're 14mm and also have 14 layers, with the top couple being very small in diameter.

For these tips I think I would cut them in half to 7 layers each and then shape and use the top half.

Incidentally, with any tip but especially layered tips I never turn the cue upside down and cut off the excess with a sharp craft knife. It takes a lot more time however I use a 'b*stard' file which is fairly coarse and only use the file in a downward motion when reducing the tip. I feel cutting off the excess, even with a surgical blade you run the chances of loosening up the layers and with my method there's no chance of that as you would be compacting the tip with each stroke of the file.

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by x3dnd3x View Post
        I just retip my cue successfully. I tried Trev's method but I couldn't turn as smoothly thus I slowly sliced it bit by bit. Can't imagine the sun is already up. When I started, it was still dark at 2am. LoL.

Is the tip okay? Sorry for the blur image. Its taken from my handphone with my shaky hands.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11571[/ATTACH]
        Looks good. Kudos to you for a successful re-tip. The satisfaction and relief that it's finally done must have been tremendous.

Practice makes perfect. The time you take to re-tip your cue will shorten dramatically once you get the hang of it and have all the tools at hand... I still remember taking a whole afternoon when I first did it but I can now do a thorough job in less than 15min, maybe slightly more for those thicker laminated tips.
        When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

• I feel cutting off the excess, even with a surgical blade you run the chances of loosening up the layers and with my method there's no chance of that as you would be compacting the tip with each stroke of the file.
          Getting rather annoyed with you Terry... Once more, exactly what I do!

Comment

• Terry.

I tried your method and I couldn't really get it to work. Took the Kamui beige out and fitted an oversized Elks to try your method. Its either my file is not rough enough or the technique I'm doing is all wrong.

If you don't mind, could you post up a video of how you file the tip in a downward motion?

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            p2user:

Cutting the tip in half is fine however you must be very careful to cut in line with the layers. I have some tips here from ADR which are called 'Bentleys' which I think were made for pool at they're 14mm and also have 14 layers, with the top couple being very small in diameter.

For these tips I think I would cut them in half to 7 layers each and then shape and use the top half.

Incidentally, with any tip but especially layered tips I never turn the cue upside down and cut off the excess with a sharp craft knife. It takes a lot more time however I use a 'b*stard' file which is fairly coarse and only use the file in a downward motion when reducing the tip. I feel cutting off the excess, even with a surgical blade you run the chances of loosening up the layers and with my method there's no chance of that as you would be compacting the tip with each stroke of the file.

Terry

Comment

• Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
              trevors method is what i imagine all the cue makers use but it does require a degree of practise!
              It requires a new sharpe blade, that's for sure!

Comment

• Here's my attempt at putting a MW supertip on. Ferrule size is 9.6mm and tip is 10mm. Hacked away at it with a craft knive then gave it a rub with fine sandpaper. I reckon the tip is about 9.7ish now. Do you think it needs a bit more of a dome shape? Any comments? Can take it off and have another bash.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Just tried trevs method, never done it like that before, seems to work!
                  Photo 22-03-2014 18 12 49.jpg
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Old cue collector --
                  Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                  (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                    Just tried trevs method, never done it like that before, seems to work!
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]16039[/ATTACH]
                    Nice Job Mike, i tried it once, my blade wasn't sharp enough tho

Comment

• Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                      Just tried trevs method, never done it like that before, seems to work!
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]16039[/ATTACH]
                      Tip looks good, I'd put a little oil on the shaft just below the ferrule though, looks like you've caught it with the wire wool

Comment

• Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                        Here's my attempt at putting a MW supertip on. Ferrule size is 9.6mm and tip is 10mm. Hacked away at it with a craft knive then gave it a rub with fine sandpaper. I reckon the tip is about 9.7ish now. Do you think it needs a bit more of a dome shape? Any comments? Can take it off and have another bash.
                        Tip shape is preferance, its upto you to decide on the degree of dome you like. I'd burnish the edge of the tip though mate

Comment

• Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
                          Tip shape is preferance, its upto you to decide on the degree of dome you like. I'd burnish the edge of the tip though mate
                          Thanks Dave, will do.

Comment

• daft question but eny one got a pic of the wird wool so a get right kind?

Comment

• Stevie, haven't got a photo for you but if you search e-bay for "wire wool 0000" you'll see what it looks like. B&Q sell it as well. Looks a bit like a large Brillo pad, greyish in colour. I'm not sure what the best make is but maybe someone will advise. Important to get the grade 0000 stuff as it's fine.

Comment

• get it on ebay much cheaper , i bought liberon and its good ..

Comment

Working...
                                X