Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Cue Tips

Anyone using Grand Tips out there?

I have been looking for a decent alternative to my stock cues as lost a bit of faith with the Blue Diamonds and Elks that I have fitted for a few years.

I fit a lot of tips for local players and as a budget tip I have bee using the Grand Tips for about 6 months and what a joy they are to fit. They cut great and shape really easy and the feedback has all been positive.

I had one guy travel from 2 hours away and I told him to try the Grand over the Blue Diamond. He was really sceptical after trying it for a couple of hours (as he'd always used Blue Diamonds) and still wanted the Blue Diamond so I changed it. A week later he drove down and wanted it changed back to the Grand.

They are getting some decent reviews but wondered if this was the same for other people who either fit them on their own cue or regularly fit tips for others?
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

IIRC - Colin (Ninja Cues) has been using them for a while
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Yeah I've spoken to Colin about them and he swears by them as he fits a fair few when he carries out the re-tipping; certainly worth a look if you aren't looking to spend £6+ on other tips.

Comment

They are good tips.

Comment

I guess that's my point. I think they are a little bit undiscovered.

Comment

Mediums are very good, hold their shape well. And don't get shiny to quick. The soft I find too soft. Lose shape an awful lot.

Comment

Originally Posted by hunter101 View Post
              Mediums are very good, hold their shape well. And don't get shiny to quick. The soft I find too soft. Lose shape an awful lot.
              I tend to get asked for the Grand Soft when fitting tips as a decent alternative to Blue Diamonds and Elks but I'll have to give the Medium a shot; so many tips out there at the moment.

Comment

Feel wise their isn't much difference between soft and medium. The soft holds chalk a little better but for me loses shape every few frames. The medium holds it's shape well and only needs a light scuff every 3-4 frames I'd say. If you don't mind it a little shiney don't worry. I don't find it miscues even when it's shiney unless you're playing with extreme side. I personally like my tips scuffed often.

Now onto chalk. Light triangle, spruce triangle and master work fine on both soft and medium. Light triangle pro works fine on soft but not medium in my testing. I've yet to try the "spruce pro", Taom or Russian Magic. I suppose everyone has their own thoughts on chalk. To me nothing beats triangle spruce.

Comment

To me nothing beats triangle spruce.
                  If we are allowed to talk chalk here?
                  100% agree
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Feel wise their isn't much difference between soft and medium. The soft holds chalk a little better but for me loses shape every few frames. The medium holds it's shape well and only needs a light scuff every 3-4 frames I'd say. If you don't mind it a little shiney don't worry. I don't find it miscues even when it's shiney unless you're playing with extreme side. I personally like my tips scuffed often.

Now onto chalk. Light triangle, spruce triangle and master work fine on both soft and medium. Light triangle pro works fine on soft but not medium in my testing. I've yet to try the "spruce pro", Taom or Russian Magic. I suppose everyone has their own thoughts on chalk. To me nothing beats triangle spruce.
                    I always use a Tip Pricker (Tip Mate) to release the compacted chalk every couple of frames and to ensure the tip remains grippy.

Comment

6 boxes left, they certainly went swiftly!

Comment

Hi Shockerz,
                        I have been using Grand Cue tips for 6 months now, I am surely not going back to Elks. I have the grey unchalked ones, soft type (that turn out to be much harder than most "soft" tips). If burnished properly, they don't lose shape at all (that was my main problem with Elks). I agree with hunter101 they tend to get shiny and need a scruff every 3 frames but once you do it, that's all the maintainance you need, they play really well and consistently, which is what matters (for me). And, as you noted, fitting them is sooooo easy. I am not a tip expert but I am quite happy with them.
                        Best

Comment

Originally Posted by Zelig View Post
                          Hi Shockerz,
                          I have been using Grand Cue tips for 6 months now, I am surely not going back to Elks. I have the grey unchalked ones, soft type (that turn out to be much harder than most "soft" tips). If burnished properly, they don't lose shape at all (that was my main problem with Elks). I agree with hunter101 they tend to get shiny and need a scruff every 3 frames but once you do it, that's all the maintainance you need, they play really well and consistently, which is what matters (for me). And, as you noted, fitting them is sooooo easy. I am not a tip expert but I am quite happy with them.
                          Best
                          I think they are one of the lesser known tips but have been really pleased with how they fit, shape and stay in shape. I just use a tip pricker to bring the grip back out and remove any impacted chalk. I try a few tips on different cues once they have been finished and I tend to stick these on now unless someone wants a specific tip.

Comment

The grand tips are now my default tip to fit if people do not express an opinion, I am currently getting about 45 good tips per box, it would be fair to say I don't get that from elks!
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Are you not fitting your own Andrew
                              Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Working...
                              X