Cleaning a Tip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning a Tip.

Currently using Century G3, Getting on with it OK but i find I'm forever scuffing it ( Using masters chalk it holds it well )

Anyway I tried something yesterday I cut up about 6 small pieces of masking tape about 2 inches long and gently stuck it to the tip and pulled it off, did this for about 10 mins and I've got a brand new tip.

Same principal as using sellotape to get hairs off your coat

Anyone else used this method. If not I will patent it
    Snooker is a game of simple shots played to perfection, Joe Davies

That's different John.

I used a G3 for ages with triangle chalk.

If I ever felt it start to slip a little I just use a tip pricker at the beginning of each session and just scuff it a tiny bit.
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Shockerz, the tip pricker does remove a bit of the old chalk I admit, the masking tape removes it completely, give it a try

Comment

Sounds interesting John, I will give it a try. In theory this should prolong the life of the tip as you are not sanding anything away.

I wonder though if you did this too often could the gum residue possibly seal the tip up?! Even that could provide interesting results
        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Just noticed that something has gone wonky on this thread, not a big issue but maybe interesting to the site techies. The last post shows as made by Marc although it was me that made it and the response counter doesn't appear to have logged the replies?
          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Neil noticed this this morning and has mentioned it to the techie
            And seems to be fixed.
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
              Sounds interesting John, I will give it a try. In theory this should prolong the life of the tip as you are not sanding anything away.

I wonder though if you did this too often could the gum residue possibly seal the tip up?! Even that could provide interesting results
              I agrree CC, when I did earlier in the week it has taken all the old chalk off and its back to clean Leather and it's kind off scuffed it as well as its raised some very tiny bits of leather, Not sure how to describe it.

Comment

Here's a pic ( I Hope )

https://i.ibb.co/KWP6WBJ/DSCN0904.jpg

Cant get pic to show ? using Imgbb. tried direct link and viewer link.
                Last edited by John Flaf; 30 November 2019, 09:59 AM.

Comment

In ImgBB, change the "Embed Code" to "BBCode full linked", hover over the code, a "copy" will appear, click this. And paste into your TSF post to display the image in the post (cross-fingers)

is the photo a before or after you tidied up the tip?
                  I would no play with a fluffy tip like that
                  if - very rarely - I need to clean the tip of chalk I use some 3000 paper I have in the case, which removes the chalk but does not damage the tip

Comment

Originally Posted by John Flaf View Post
                    Here's a pic ( I Hope )
                    https://i.ibb.co/KWP6WBJ/DSCN0904.jpg
                    Cant get pic to show ? using Imgbb. tried direct link and viewer link.
                    Looks horrible John. Might be easier just to replace it.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                      In ImgBB, change the "Embed Code" to "BBCode full linked", hover over the code, a "copy" will appear, click this. And paste into your TSF post to display the image in the post (cross-fingers)

is the photo a before or after you tidied up the tip?
                      I would no play with a fluffy tip like that
                      if - very rarely - I need to clean the tip of chalk I use some 3000 paper I have in the case, which removes the chalk but does not damage the tip
                      Thanks Dean another go. No the photo is After I used masking tape as you can see it cleaned it so well it 'fluffed' it up I will use some 2000 W&D to get rid of the fluffyness as you suggest, It was just a trial at the end of the day to get rid of the old chalk, seems to have worked.

Looks horrible John. Might be easier just to replace it.

Nowt wrong with it Nifty, will give it a lite rub down though, I dont like a tip to be too shiny if that makes sense, doubt it would hold chalk But I'm no expert.

Edit : Cheers Dean, Sorted. Is there a thumbs up smilie

Comment

:encouragement:
                        colon encouragement colon (if you type out like I do)

you can click on "more smilies" just underneath the Write here box to display the listing

Comment

:encouragement: :applouse:

Comment

Working...
                          X