Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mikee
    replied
    I’ve used normal Elkmaster for years and years ,occasionally I get a bad or iffy one out the box ,but it’s no big deal ,just put a new one on .A good Elk is still as good as anything ,cheap as chips and proven over the years .

Leave a comment:

• kramer8
    replied
    Originally Posted by arsalanjami View Post

Maybe I posted in the wrong thread; got replies but no answers .

Question - Talisman Snooker Tips - do these always come in a gold color or do they also have a dark version? In the past - I always got the golden tip but this time received a dark version.
    Plays quite similar so not worried but just curious.
    Cheers
    The Talismans I used were a dark brown and were made from water buffalo hide. I tried a few other laminated tips for snooker but I must agree with the many other people who said that the laminated tips caused miscues or kicks on snooker sized balls. The glue lines on the top layers were believed to be the culprit. I used Moori's on larger, heavier American pool balls and thought they were great. I haven't used the Century, Adr's,Regencies, or pro elks yet. I have heard that a lot of professionals are going back to regular Elk Masters because they can play all the shots.

Leave a comment:

• hasan.rashid14
    replied
    If u are looking for compressed tips then Legends is the best u can find. Very consistent and easy to cut, shape and burnish.
    Amongst laminated tips my choice is definitely ADR tip followed by Talisman (provided they don’t delaminate while shaping) and Navigator tips.

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied

That's the one. Wonder why it changed from beige to black.

Cheers
    I don't know but I do remember ADR made a tan tip but had to change to black but I forget the reason for it. He might come on and tell us again.

Leave a comment:

• arsalanjami
    replied
    Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

Found these on eBay so I guess you can get black ones.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Talisman-...4383.l4275.c10
    That's the one. Wonder why it changed from beige to black.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied

Question - Talisman Snooker Tips - do these always come in a gold color or do they also have a dark version? In the past - I always got the golden tip but this time received a dark version.
    Cheers
    Found these on eBay so I guess you can get black ones.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Talisman-...4383.l4275.c10

Leave a comment:

• arsalanjami
    replied
    Recently ordered 3 Talisman Medium 11mm tips from the John Parrott website. Shipment was cheap for Canada so went with them.
    it left back in mid Feb from the UK and I just received the package this week!

Anyway - I have never seen Talisman (the old style, not trinity) come in a dark version. The ones I have used in the past have all been light cream color and made out of pig skin.
    Not sure if these are the same. The color is sort of dark blueish and the bottom has a "Talisman M" in gold imprinted.
    I do see some online with a similar look.

Are they the same but different color? Going to try one out this week.

Cheers

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Starsky
    replied
    Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

I went round this whole loop of trying new tips Starsky as there are dozens these days. Its a pain in the back side, and I recommend avoiding trying all of them. Its a hole many have fallen into on here including myself to a degree.

The elks these days vary in quality and are not as good as back in the day generally speaking. The ratio of good ones in a box of 50 is said to be about a 3rd these days, so its its a lottery each time you put one on.

I really recommend Century tips, they come in 3 (Or maybe 4?) grades with 1 being the softest. They come with guaranteed consistency so each time you buy the same grade it will play the same. I think they are the closest to a good elk.
    Hi CueCrafty,

Thanks for the tip .

Your right , I’m trying to avoid falling into that hole as you say.

One in three on the Elks is very poor consistency . I will give the century’s a go .

Leave a comment:

• Cue crafty
    replied
    Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
    Hi all,,
    Back in the day down in the club it was either Blue Diamond or Elkmaster and that was it .
    I used to play with Elkmaster and I can’t even remember why .
    This would have been the bog standard club ones and I never had any issues apart from the odd one going spongy.
    Do the current EM play like the old ones ?, if not what brand would you recommend ?.

What I remember is once a new tip was put on it took a while for it to harden up to the degree I liked so I guess I prefer a hardish tip. In fact I remember taking off tips from the clubs rack cues so I could get one that had been played in a bit
    I went round this whole loop of trying new tips Starsky as there are dozens these days. Its a pain in the back side, and I recommend avoiding trying all of them. Its a hole many have fallen into on here including myself to a degree.

The elks these days vary in quality and are not as good as back in the day generally speaking. The ratio of good ones in a box of 50 is said to be about a 3rd these days, so its its a lottery each time you put one on.

I really recommend Century tips, they come in 3 (Or maybe 4?) grades with 1 being the softest. They come with guaranteed consistency so each time you buy the same grade it will play the same. I think they are the closest to a good elk.

Leave a comment:

• Starsky
    replied
    Hi all,,
    Back in the day down in the club it was either Blue Diamond or Elkmaster and that was it .
    I used to play with Elkmaster and I can’t even remember why .
    This would have been the bog standard club ones and I never had any issues apart from the odd one going spongy.
    Do the current EM play like the old ones ?, if not what brand would you recommend ?.

What I remember is once a new tip was put on it took a while for it to harden up to the degree I liked so I guess I prefer a hardish tip. In fact I remember taking off tips from the clubs rack cues so I could get one that had been played in a bit

Leave a comment:

• fkhan
    replied
    ADR pressed or Grand soft for me.

Leave a comment:

• arsalanjami
    replied
    Recently ordered 3 Talisman Medium 11mm tips from the John Parrott website. Shipment was cheap for Canada so went with them.
    it left back in mid Feb from the UK and I just received the package this week!

Anyway - I have never seen Talisman (the old style, not trinity) come in a dark version. The ones I have used in the past have all been light cream color and made out of pig skin.
    Not sure if these are the same. The color is sort of dark blueish and the bottom has a "Talisman M" in gold imprinted.
    I do see some online with a similar look.

Are they the same but different color? Going to try one out this week.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• tomwalker147
    replied
    Originally Posted by cueboy777 View Post
    I am still playing the talisman medium alongside Taom chalk. Still on fence maybe, i like the tip, seemed to play in really quickly, quite hard and responsive. Not sure bout the tip/chalk combo, i seem to have to chalk more, and less is being applied. Couple of mis-cues as well. I notice Ronnie is still use old school triangle!
    I use a Talisman soft currently and my mate let me try his chalk, the Taom V2. I played half a dozen frames with it and he asked me what i thought. I genuinely think it's a massive gimmick. I hate the light colour of it, never sure if you've applied enough to the tip and there are no miraculous benefits people claim to be able to 'feel' i.e. more feel when playing shots with spin etc. I'll continue with 'old school triangle' which does what chalk should do.

On the miss cues, I've had one since using the talisman and I'd have 6/7 pints and tried a deep screw shot so think it was the beer not the tip/chalk

Leave a comment:

• cueboy777
    replied
    I am still playing the talisman medium alongside Taom chalk. Still on fence maybe, i like the tip, seemed to play in really quickly, quite hard and responsive. Not sure bout the tip/chalk combo, i seem to have to chalk more, and less is being applied. Couple of mis-cues as well. I notice Ronnie is still use old school triangle!

Leave a comment:

• Delphi
    replied
    Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    Yep JP does like an Elk
    sorry you did not get on with the MW
    Could have been a combination of the tips, which seems soft and the russian chalk that provided the oh so many miscues.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X