X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starsky
    replied
    Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

There has been some good information on here mate with these old tips and although I don't currently use them I still fit a few for others. What I was told to look for is a nice "clicky" sound when you tap them on the head on a hard smooth surface like a kitchen worktop. If you have a box of them take them out and do this and you will hear a difference in some sounding duller when you tap and look for that harder click when you tap. Means the tip was compressed properly and is tight. The other tip to go with this is trying to press your finger nail into the side walls of the tip. If you can make an impression with nail the tip is no good.

So bit of faffing but if you love the tips it's worth the hassle.
    Thanks CC.
    When I played Steve last weekend we spoke about tips and he recommended the Elkmaster Pro tips as they were more consistent than the standard Elkmaster tip. . Given the price of them they should be !.
    Anyways. I’ll be buying a box of the Pro’s and giving them a go and I’ll have a go at banging them on the table . Can’t do the nail thing as I bite my nails ( terrible habit I know )

Leave a comment:

• Cue crafty
    replied
    Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
    I’m currently using an Elkmaster that came with my cue from Greenbaize . I’m starting to really like it and realise that im starting to prefer a softer tip than my previous G3 . I have to say that the tip doesn’t go out of shape as much as the Century tip and it’s definitely holds chalk better.
    I might give the Elkmaster pro tips a go after this one as I know I’ve got lucky with this Elkmaster given their consistency issues .
    There has been some good information on here mate with these old tips and although I don't currently use them I still fit a few for others. What I was told to look for is a nice "clicky" sound when you tap them on the head on a hard smooth surface like a kitchen worktop. If you have a box of them take them out and do this and you will hear a difference in some sounding duller when you tap and look for that harder click when you tap. Means the tip was compressed properly and is tight. The other tip to go with this is trying to press your finger nail into the side walls of the tip. If you can make an impression with nail the tip is no good.

So bit of faffing but if you love the tips it's worth the hassle.

Leave a comment:

• Starsky
    replied
    I’m currently using an Elkmaster that came with my cue from Greenbaize . I’m starting to really like it and realise that im starting to prefer a softer tip than my previous G3 . I have to say that the tip doesn’t go out of shape as much as the Century tip and it’s definitely holds chalk better.
    I might give the Elkmaster pro tips a go after this one as I know I’ve got lucky with this Elkmaster given their consistency issues .

Leave a comment:

• andycam
    replied
    I have been playing for about 3 years and have used Elkmasters all that time. I have just had a titanium ferrule installed and they fitted me a Century G2, it feels really hard and goes out of shape quite frequently. I have some ADR147 calf tips to try out, and they may be going on sooner rather than later.

Leave a comment:

• mikee
    replied
    After a bad run of Elkmaster with lousy tips ,I have had a G3 on now for about a month ,it’s fine and in good shape ,like anything theres bound to be a few ropy ones .

Leave a comment:

• Cue crafty
    replied
    Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post

Two friends of mine have fitted G3's in the last month, both reported they go out of shape incredibly quickly and give generally poor feedback. Could there be a bad batch of them out there?
    Personally still using a Talisman Prosoft tip and loving it. After a year of using the same tip it's still in good shape and only requires the odd light brushing to bring out fibres. Probably look to change it in the next couple of months for another one.
    Quite possibly Tom, trouble is it breeds doubt where people just want to and are happy to pay for quality. I've been lucky so far with Tom Classic tips, on my third one and still love them, keep shape and feel and only need a light spiking here and there. They cost roughly a quid each!! But we all like what we like eh.

Leave a comment:

• fkhan
    replied
    Quite a few bad comments about the Century tips. I hope they pull up their socks.

Leave a comment:

• tomwalker147
    replied

Thanks mate, I don't use them anymore but have fitted quite as few for people with varying degrees of quality and consistency. If you think about it Century are trying to garantee 100% consistency in quality over 4? Different grades of tip , that's gotta be costly and at some point Mr Business owner is going to say we need more profit.... Somewhere corners get cut. I hope they manage this element out and continue to provide decent tips because they have become a go to for lots of players who are fed up with bad Elks. Hate seeing snooker players waste precious practice time dicking around with dodgy tips.
    Two friends of mine have fitted G3's in the last month, both reported they go out of shape incredibly quickly and give generally poor feedback. Could there be a bad batch of them out there?
    Personally still using a Talisman Prosoft tip and loving it. After a year of using the same tip it's still in good shape and only requires the odd light brushing to bring out fibres. Probably look to change it in the next couple of months for another one.

Leave a comment:

• Cue crafty
    replied
    Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

My pal got a G3 put on, I had a go with it, hated it with a passion. He had it on no more than three weeks and it constantly spread and had to be maintained, ended up giving up on it and I put a TSF medium on for him, he loves it. I honestly wouldn't put one of those on if they paid me.
    Thanks mate, I don't use them anymore but have fitted quite as few for people with varying degrees of quality and consistency. If you think about it Century are trying to garantee 100% consistency in quality over 4? Different grades of tip , that's gotta be costly and at some point Mr Business owner is going to say we need more profit.... Somewhere corners get cut. I hope they manage this element out and continue to provide decent tips because they have become a go to for lots of players who are fed up with bad Elks. Hate seeing snooker players waste precious practice time dicking around with dodgy tips.

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    Has anyone heard bad reports on century tip quality?
    My pal got a G3 put on, I had a go with it, hated it with a passion. He had it on no more than three weeks and it constantly spread and had to be maintained, ended up giving up on it and I put a TSF medium on for him, he loves it. I honestly wouldn't put one of those on if they paid me.

Leave a comment:

• mikee
    replied
    Originally Posted by Met75 View Post
    Hey guys,

How much is its "lifetime" for Elk Master (normal, blue, soft) tip?
    After the first few frame I have modified the shape and I play 20-25 frame with.
    Yesterday I looking the tip and it is flat and thin.
    This is the end?
    The more expensive and/or laminated tips (Kamui, Taom, Talisman etc.) more durable?
    Elkmaster have gone downhill over the last couple of years ,it used to be a few duff ones in a box ,now it seems it’s a box full of duff ones with a couple of decent tips .I can’t be arsed with them any more ,constantly changing tips just to find one that isn’t soft or bends out of shape .Rather pay a few quid more for quality control with the century G3 .Thanks Elkmaster and Bollox to your tips

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    Originally Posted by bobgrant View Post
    ADR makes his own tips does he does he make cues too?
    He is a retailer, he sources top quality cuemakers from Thailand and China (possibly elsewhere?) and has some cues made for him.
    I have only heard good things about them.

Leave a comment:

• Met75
    replied
    Hey guys,

How much is its "lifetime" for Elk Master (normal, blue, soft) tip?
    After the first few frame I have modified the shape and I play 20-25 frame with.
    Yesterday I looking the tip and it is flat and thin.
    This is the end?
    The more expensive and/or laminated tips (Kamui, Taom, Talisman etc.) more durable?

Leave a comment:

• bobgrant
    replied
    ADR makes his own tips does he does he make cues too?

Leave a comment:

• JC_snooker_37
    replied
    Has anyone heard bad reports on century tip quality?

I'm starting to get a little collection. Elk, cue soul, century G1 and then ADR.

​​​​​The G1 seemed to need the face sanding a few times. But when it was right. It's the most spin I've ever been able to generate. I would like to try a G2 and g3.
    but I've no reason or interest in taking this ADR off.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X