Century titanium ferrule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Century titanium ferrule

Has anyone tried the century titanium ferrules? If so what did you think of them? Did it change the hit? Did it lessen throw off with side? Does it wear down through numerous retips?

Not seen these , I will have a search .

got a new cue yet Fraser ?
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Going to greenbaize this weekend hopefully to sort one out I think

Comment

Friend of mine has one fitted. He was showing me what it's like. He played a straight ball with loads of screw and side and he lined it up straight and didn't allow for deflection and potted it in the heart of the pocket.

I had a go and it works but it does play tricks with your mind cos your thinking I should be allowing for throw here. Suppose you'd get use to it quickly.

They do seem good although they are shorter than a standard brass ferrule so will reduce the length of your cue but you're only talking about 5-10mm
        Maximus Legend Plus : Ebony butt with Ovangkol front wedge and thick maple veneer : Premium ash shaft : Tip 9.45 mm Talisman Trinity Soft, length 58″, weight 18.4 oz, butt diameter 29.4 mm, balance 18″

Comment

They r 6mm in height the titanium ones, that's pretty much the height of any brass ferrule I've had so wouldn't really lose anything as long as it was able to fit onto the same stem

Comment

Are these titanium ferrules thick walled. I tried some brass ferrules that were thick, heavy things that had to be screwed on. What a pain. You have to make your tenon thinner and for what? No improvement whatsoever, in fact , I think it made it worse. Would a pro player ever mutilate his tenon, or shorten an expensive bespoke cue for this as yet unproven titanium gimmick. I doubt it.

Comment

Originally Posted by kramer8 View Post
              Are these titanium ferrules thick walled. I tried some brass ferrules that were thick, heavy things that had to be screwed on. What a pain. You have to make your tenon thinner and for what? No improvement whatsoever, in fact , I think it made it worse. Would a pro player ever mutilate his tenon, or shorten an expensive bespoke cue for this as yet unproven titanium gimmick. I doubt it.
              I doubt it, titanium is much stronger than brass so they will probably be much thinner, which is why they won't throw the cue ball off line as much.
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

I doubt it, titanium is much stronger than brass so they will probably be much thinner, which is why they won't throw the cue ball off line as much.
                so no ferrule would have even less throw, why not only use a fibre pad & tip then? I think it has more to do with the wood / taper than the ferrule, but don't know why

Comment

Originally Posted by matthias View Post

so no ferrule would have even less throw, why not only use a fibre pad & tip then? I think it has more to do with the wood / taper than the ferrule, but don't know why
                  Yep no ferrule has less , there never used to be ferrules on cues but it's a different game now so one is needed to protect the cue.

Comment

what does a brass ferrule weigh 5 grams maybe? titanium is about half the weight of brass, would 2 or maybe 3 grams really make a difference?

Comment

I went to Green Baize a couple of weeks ago to buy a new cue. I bought a ton praram series 1 which came with a brass ferrule. Whilst I was there, Craig re-fitted it with a century Titanium ferrule. I can't really comment on how it changed the feel as I didn't play with it for long enough to tell but what I can tell you is that Stu tested the deflection/throw before and after it was fitted and it went from 1/2 ball to 1/4 ball deflection.

Comment

Originally Posted by matthias View Post

what does a brass ferrule weigh 5 grams maybe? titanium is about half the weight of brass, would 2 or maybe 3 grams really make a difference?
                        if it's 3 grams that's roughly 2% of the cue ball weight (141/142 grams)so it could make a difference. From what I've read it's all about tip end mass, so a smaller tip and a lighter ferrule should be the best combination. Didn't those accurate cues have small ( for snooker) tips ?

Comment

Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
                          I went to Green Baize a couple of weeks ago to buy a new cue. I bought a ton praram series 1 which came with a brass ferrule. Whilst I was there, Craig re-fitted it with a century Titanium ferrule. I can't really comment on how it changed the feel as I didn't play with it for long enough to tell but what I can tell you is that Stu tested the deflection/throw before and after it was fitted and it went from 1/2 ball to 1/4 ball deflection.
                          You can bet your arse he struck the shot with the titanium ferrule a little bit slower, that's how they sell these snake oil gimmicks. I've seen a bloke on youtube do the same with a Predator pool cue that was supposed to be deflection free, he adjusted his aiming and hit the Predator shot slower and voila! no deflection. I challenged him over it and got no reply :greedy_dollars:
                          'Tip end mass' is simply marketing bollocks, all cues will deflect the cue ball when you apply side spin, more or less doesn't matter as you need to get used to how your cue deflects the cue ball, it becomes subconscious when you've played enough times with it.
                          You won't suddenly be able to play with side without adjusting your aiming just because you have a titanium ferrule fitted, you might have to re-learn your cues deflection and there will be times when your subconscious will falter.
                          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post

You can bet your arse he struck the shot with the titanium ferrule a little bit slower, that's how they sell these snake oil gimmicks. I've seen a bloke on youtube do the same with a Predator pool cue that was supposed to be deflection free, he adjusted his aiming and hit the Predator shot slower and voila! no deflection. I challenged him over it and got no reply :greedy_dollars:
                            'Tip end mass' is simply marketing bollocks, all cues will deflect the cue ball when you apply side spin, more or less doesn't matter as you need to get used to how your cue deflects the cue ball, it becomes subconscious when you've played enough times with it.
                            You won't suddenly be able to play with side without adjusting your aiming just because you have a titanium ferrule fitted, you might have to re-learn your cues deflection and there will be times when your subconscious will falter.
                            For me personally, I cannot see the centre of the ball (due to cataracts in my eyes) which meant with my previous cue which was really whippy and had loads of deflection, the ball was throwing out when I didn't want it to so couldn't adjustment for it. A cue with less deflection (which I now have) means that if I hit the ball off centre accidentally it doesn't matter so much (at least in terms of making the pot).

I've actually been avoiding playing with side for a long time due to my sight issues and in my case, the cue with lower deflection has helped massively, whether or not the titanium ferrule has been an additional help is another question.....

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

if it's 3 grams that's roughly 2% of the cue ball weight (141/142 grams)so it could make a difference. From what I've read it's all about tip end mass, so a smaller tip and a lighter ferrule should be the best combination. Didn't those accurate cues have small ( for snooker) tips ?
                              I really don't know, but I seriously doubt it's the ferrule material/weight that makes the cue ball deflects more or less, you can throw a piece of lead of 2 /3 grams at a cue ball al day long without moving it so I doubt it would make a difference when you play a shot.

not a lot of pro's are using them I think (I don't know any), so if it really worked they would have switched I think.

but who cares, it's all in the head anyways hahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X