Sand down the cue butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sand down the cue butt

Hi guys, anyone knows if it’s possible sand down the cue butt diameter? My cue is about 30.5mm and I wanna sand down to 29-29.5mm. Is it gonna affect the playability and will the weight and balance point change a lot?
    Thanks.

Might not be that noticeable with weight and balance ,but the cue would have to be sanded down perfectly evenly .Job for a cue builder really .How long you had the cue ,do you play ok with it and is there a particular reason for sanding it down .If it’s not really an expensive cue ,might be worth looking at a new one .Just my opinion though

Comment

Is it a three quarter cue ? Might be easier getting a new butt end made.
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

What sort of cue is it?
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by hottt123 View Post
          Hi guys, anyone knows if it’s possible sand down the cue butt diameter? My cue is about 30.5mm and I wanna sand down to 29-29.5mm. Is it gonna affect the playability and will the weight and balance point change a lot?
          Thanks.
          You'll need an awful lot of elbow grease mate. One millimetre sounds small but that's about two hours hard graft, and it's not that accurate either, you could end up with something not very round. Better to plane it and then give it a final fine sanding to finish it off, but if you're not an experienced wood worker you'll end up ruining it for good, best give it someone who is.
          The playability won't be affected seeing as it's the butt, and weight and balance point wouldn't be noticeable, doing the same to the shaft would make quite a difference.
          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post

You'll need an awful lot of elbow grease mate. One millimetre sounds small but that's about two hours hard graft, and it's not that accurate either, you could end up with something not very round. Better to plane it and then give it a final fine sanding to finish it off, but if you're not an experienced wood worker you'll end up ruining it for good, best give it someone who is.
            The playability won't be affected seeing as it's the butt, and weight and balance point wouldn't be noticeable, doing the same to the shaft would make quite a difference.

Totally disagree.
            Sanding 1mm off the butt will change the way the cue plays drastically. Sometimes for the good, sometimes not.

Comment

Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post

Totally disagree.
              Sanding 1mm off the butt will change the way the cue plays drastically. Sometimes for the good, sometimes not.
              Find two 3/4 spliced cues with full ebony butts, one of 30mm diameter and one of 29mm diameter, unscrew them both, test the flex of each butt and let me know the drastic differences as I could use your greater knowledge in the next cue I make .
              Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
              but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Find two 3/4 spliced cues with full ebony butts, one of 30mm diameter and one of 29mm diameter, unscrew them both, test the flex of each butt and let me know the drastic differences as I could use your greater knowledge in the next cue I make .
                I haven't been in for a while but that made me chuckle!
                Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Ain’t got a clue what your on about as usual. Good to see nothing has changed lol

Comment

Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post

Ain’t got a clue what your on about as usual. Good to see nothing has changed lol
                    Ain't got a clue and always in a bickle as usual travis. Next time I'm on a demonstration I'll ask the nearest riot cop what diameter his baton is, if it's only 29mm I might antogonise him a bit more than if he has a 30mm one because I wouldn't want any 'drastic' injuries

Comment

Ain't got a clue and always in a bickle as usual travis. Next time I'm on a demonstration I'll ask the nearest riot cop what diameter his baton is, if it's only 29mm I might antogonise him a bit more than if he has a 30mm one because I wouldn't want any 'drastic' injuries
                      You need a whack on the head to knock some sense into you lol

Comment

That's what I like, a nice bit of banter, that'll bring the crowds back.
                        Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Depending on the taper of the butt, if it’s a straight or traditional. What is the diameter where you actually hold the cue at the finger and thumb point?
                          if you have found a cue butt that you actually like the feel of, would be good to copy that taper .
                          but yes the cue will change as if the cue butt is ebony you would loose At least 0.5oz in weight

Comment

Working...
                          X