Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thurston & Co Cue

Hi all,

After some great responses from members to other posts over my Stevens & Sons table and W.Cook cue, I have now also found the attached cue during my recent clearout!

This is a Thurston & Co cue (57”) that I had given me about 35-40years ago, and used to be my personal cue when I played regularly at a local club.

I have done some research which suggests that as this predates when Thurston went to a limited company, then it’s quite early???

The name Thurston & Co is inlaid into the butt, and as I vaguely recall the ferule was replaced when I first had it.

There is no weight stamp on it that I can see.

Any further information or history on this would be much appreciated.

Kev

Considering that Thurston became a limited company in about 1815, the "Co" cue could be before/around this date
    You confirm the lettering is inlaid light-wood into the ebony, later they used a stencil of lettering
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
      Considering that Thurston became a limited company in about 1815, the "Co" cue could be before/around this date
      You confirm the lettering is inlaid light-wood into the ebony, later they used a stencil of lettering
      It's unusual for you to get something wrong Dean! Thurston became a limited company in 1896, not sure what you were thinking about with a date of 1815.

I don't normally comment on cue values, but I've seen enough of these to feel qualified in this instance. Thurston would supply this model by the dozen with every table they sold as a general purpose accessory, so as you can imagine there are a lot of them about. The last one I saw in a similar condition sold on eBay for GBP 26, although the later brass ferrule on this one might detract a little.

Comment

Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post

It's unusual for you to get something wrong Dean! Thurston became a limited company in 1896, not sure what you were thinking about with a date of 1815.

I don't normally comment on cue values, but I've seen enough of these to feel qualified in this instance. Thurston would supply this model by the dozen with every table they sold as a general purpose accessory, so as you can imagine there are a lot of them about. The last one I saw in a similar condition sold on eBay for GBP 26, although the later brass ferrule on this one might detract a little.
        ah ha
        I got this from thurston heritage, sounded a bit early as I did not think the cue looked that old
        maybe it is a typo for 1895
        which would align with the age of cue I was thinking, thanks for the correction
        https://www.snookerheritage.co.uk/th...ue-collection/

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

ah ha
          I got this from thurston heritage, sounded a bit early as I did not think the cue looked that old
          maybe it is a typo for 1895
          which would align with the age of cue I was thinking, thanks for the correction
          https://www.snookerheritage.co.uk/th...ue-collection/
          I thought there must be a good reason. I'll have to drop a line to Peter Clare and let him know about the error. It just goes to show, what you might usually expect to be a reliable source is not always correct.

Comment

Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post

I thought there must be a good reason. I'll have to drop a line to Peter Clare and let him know about the error. It just goes to show, what you might usually expect to be a reliable source is not always correct.

I knew I should have checked elsewhere but family got in the way and forgot to go back

Comment

Thank you 100-uper and DeanH …. hope I haven’t caused any friction ….. what’s 80yrs between friends

Really impressed by the extent of knowledge and response times from both of you …. Real credit, thank you

Great to get an approximate date for my everyday cue …. Although haven’t used it for a number of years, but will keep it for when I return to playing.

Comment

Working...
              X