Opinion on this cues arrows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion on this cues arrows?

I got this cue on ebay, I'm a novice and I'm curious what others opinions are on the arrows? there isn't any on the last 12 inches of the cue shaft and i'm not sure if that will be bad for sighting or anything?

https://i.postimg.cc/wxWPx8d7/cue-shaft.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/cHFDJY2V/cueshaft2.jpg

well, to me, (1) the images do not show - private?; (2) the arrows (or chevrons) should not be used for aiming/sighting.

I hope one of the resident coaches pops on here with further info for you
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I'm no expert. IMO the chevrons being at a certain distance from the tip, being evenly spaced etc makes no difference to the cues playability. It is just a visual thing. For example, Higgins has reverse chevrons on his playing cue.

Comment

Generally decent cue makers align the point of the chevrons directly in line to the flat on the butt of the cue for two reasons, 1, so it's easier to hold the cue in the same place each time for consistency and 2 so that when you are cueing up the chevrons are pointing straight down the barrel of the cue so to speak, which is much more pleasing to the eye than wonky chevrons that play havoc with your Attention/focus on the shot.
        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          well, to me, (1) the images do not show - private?; (2) the arrows (or chevrons) should not be used for aiming/sighting.

I hope one of the resident coaches pops on here with further info for you
          Strange, the images are uploaded on a free site with no account. Works for me on another browser too

It is a Phoenix Master cue, machine spliced. Not an expensive cue but from what I've heard, are decent quality. I paid £140, chose it mainly on the spec for my own preference over anything else. Thought it was unusual to not have a chevron closer to the tip, but if its only about aesthetics, I won't worry about it.

Comment

Originally Posted by scofield View Post
            I got this cue on ebay, I'm a novice and I'm curious what others opinions are on the arrows? there isn't any on the last 12 inches of the cue shaft and i'm not sure if that will be bad for sighting or anything?
            Chevrons on an ash cue are dependant on closeness of the grain, if the grain is straight, or at what point on the shaft the grain meanders. Very close grain creates lots of chevrons while wider grain doesn't and a shaft with a meandering grain will create chevrons wherever the grain comes to the surface of the shaft.

As for using the chevron to sight the shot, you should be looking at the object ball, cue tip to the cue ball and then object ball on the strike, the shaft doesn't enter into it.
            Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

I have never cared about all this chevron rubbish on a cue ,you shouldn’t and dont need to be looking there .

Comment

I know a few players who will only play with a cue if it has X amount of chevrons. OCD? Maybe

I think so long as they line up with the flat on the butt then that’s good enough for me! Heck I even use my cue flat down with the canoe grain showing, makes no difference, I still miss!

Comment

Ok so it's just about looks and preference, but not relevant in quality or playability, thats the main thing. I'm happy with how the cue feels/plays so I'm gonna stick with this one for now.

Comment

Ok so it's just about looks and preference, but not relevant in quality or playability, thats the main thing. I'm happy with how the cue feels/plays so I'm gonna stick with this one for now.
                    there we go!
                    bullseye!
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

there we go!
                      bullseye!
                      Beat me to it.
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

When buying an ash cue it's best to look at the side grain as straight grain means a shaft's resonance is consistant along the shaft to the shoulder. I will choose an ash board based on straight grain when making a cue, it doesn't have to be straight all along the shaft, but as straight as possible from the shoulder of the cue to the tip so any meanders of the grain are under the butt splices where the wood is thicker and the resonance has basically dissapeared.
                        A cue with good feel means quality timber has been chosen, look at all the Parris using pros who use ash and you'll see dead straight grain as John makes sure they get the best. All is not lost lost for ungraded budget ash cues as the manufacturers make so many that some are really excellent. My mates one piece machine spliced ash that he bought from Blue Moon in ilfracombe has a great shaft, but is a tad butt heavy in the balance department, but that's high production machine splicing for you.
                        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Hi all. Might anyone have any old one piece cues for sale? Starting to collect. Many thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X