Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice: Cue Care and small repairs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Advice: Cue Care and small repairs

    Hi all, recently joined so first post for me.
    I am getting back into snooker after a number of years, so the cue has been packed away.

    Any advice on how to treat the butt end of the cue? The picture doesn't really do it justice but the end is quite dried out compared to the rest. Also, would anyone have advice to repair dents and dings? I went down the cotton bud route etc with no real joy. I know these are small thing I guess with hindsight should have been more careful and all that. Anyway, looking forward to learning more here and getting back into this great game. Thanks folks

  • #2
    What picture ?
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally Posted by vmax View Post
      What picture ?
      Apologies, I think I've to have posted a number of posts before I can post photos? Can't seem to edit my post either I meant 'Cue care and small repairs'

      Comment


      • #4
        welcome to TSF Ronan
        as a newbie you do not have attachment function until over 10posts

        but you can do the following:

        How to add images to your TSF posts
        You can use a free image-sharing site such as ImgBB, without registering (you can register for free), to upload your images, you may have to do the “not a robot” checks quickly. There are other image sharing sites as well.
        ImgBB.com
        Click on "Start Uploading"
        Browse to the file and select it, click Open
        Auto delete image - leave as "Don't autodelete".
        Click "Upload".
        Change "Embed Codes" to "BBCode full linked".
        Hover over the code in the box, a "COPY" will appear, click this.
        Go to your TSF post and paste.
        You can repeat for multiple images in a single post.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally Posted by Ronansnooker2022 View Post
          Apologies, I think I've to have posted a number of posts before I can post photos? Can't seem to edit my post either I meant 'Cue care and small repairs'
          topic fixed for you
          there will be a lot you can not do until over 10posts (and some patience) and even then there are still some functions restricted
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

          Comment


          • #6
            "cotton bud route"
            how long did you leave the damp cotton in the dent?
            I have found that some needed a refresh of dampness for a couple of days to get stubborn dents out
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              "cotton bud route"
              how long did you leave the damp cotton in the dent?
              I have found that some needed a refresh of dampness for a couple of days to get stubborn dents out
              Thanks Dean, I left it overnight but might be no harm in giving it longer. I have pasted in the photo links so that might give a better idea. Cheers

              https://ibb.co/N6qNFwb
              https://ibb.co/vcSPLgY

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally Posted by Ronansnooker2022 View Post

                Thanks Dean, I left it overnight but might be no harm in giving it longer. I have pasted in the photo links so that might give a better idea. Cheers

                https://ibb.co/N6qNFwb
                https://ibb.co/vcSPLgY
                tip: you missed a step, if you follow every step the photos will display instead of just a link

                been a while since I have seen that badge
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

                  tip: you missed a step, if you follow every step the photos will display instead of just a link

                  been a while since I have seen that badge
                  Ah ok! (I am learning already haha) Yes I'm not sure if Shark cues exist anymore? I won it in an online draw years ago, inclined to take care now getting back into snooker again! Been my only cue.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    To me the photos show gouges not dents, i.e. wood removed not compressed, cotton wont do it
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                      To me the photos show gouges not dents, i.e. wood removed not compressed, cotton wont do it
                      To be honest I am thinking the same as there are two fairly deep gouges unfortunately. Do you think they can be filled and then smooth out? Or is that a hard task with wood/grains/wood type etc?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally Posted by Ronansnooker2022 View Post

                        To be honest I am thinking the same as there are two fairly deep gouges unfortunately. Do you think they can be filled and then smooth out? Or is that a hard task with wood/grains/wood type etc?
                        I hope one of our resident cue doctor/maker come on here for you
                        I am good with cotton wool, not much with filler
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          It looks to me like the laquer on the butt has a couple of dings in it. One needs to remove the laquer (on the butt only) completely with 120 grade sandpaper, then sand over with 180 grade, then a final sanding with 200 grade and finish with a good buffing with 0000 grade steel wool.
                          Wipe the cue down with a cloth dampened with white spirit or IPA to remove any dust and then treat it to about three or four coats of danish oil with at least six hours between each coat, I would apply the oil liberally, then remove any excess and leave overnight before the next coat. Leave the oil to cure for at least a week after applying the final coat, just feeling dry isn't good enough, it needs time to cure.

                          If the rest of the cue is also laquered then do the above proceedure with the whole cue. BTW take care to avoid sanding the badge as it will scratch and it's a long process to bring it back to looking good again.
                          Last edited by vmax; 13 May 2022, 03:09 PM.
                          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X