Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A controversial topic. If u r an expert, help me answering the below 2 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A controversial topic. If u r an expert, help me answering the below 2 Questions

Regarding chevrons or arrows of a shaft. I have collected stats for a long time which I can't neglect the fact that I found, which goes against some experts or cue makers which I believe if it was true why they make the opposite?

The general saying is, the shaft that has few arrows mean the shaft grown fast in a tropical or moist area (as I believe, it can be both types stiff or flex) and for the shaft that has many and close arrows +10 to 15 the shaft grown slow in long winter forests and also can be both types stiff and flex. I have tested and found stiff and flex cues in both types whether many and few arrows.

The below stats the I have collected:

- Any top-quality cues or pro players cues I found, they don't have more than 8 or so arrows, and in some even less than 5, but when you ask a cue maker about the arrow numbers, he would reply, no, there is no difference between few or many arrows, it is just for aesthetic look but when he makes a quality one it would have few.

-As I know the majority of pro players tend to play with stiff cues or medium stiff and remember there are players like to play with flex ones. As I checked most of the cues have few arrows.

-Most of the cheap cues have 10 up to 15 or more close arrows.

My questions

1-Does not that mean the shaft that grow fast is much better than the one that grow slow? and that would absolutely make it way more expensive.

2-Has anyone found a very good quality cue from a reputable cue maker (an expensive cue) that has more than 15 arrows?

You'll find that an ash shaft with straight grain will produce less arrows than one with curved grain as the curved grain will ensure that more lines of grain will reach the surface of the shaft and be exposed.
    An ash shaft with very close straight grain will also produce more arrows as there are more lines of grain, these shafts tend to come from slow grown trees from very cold countries like canada, russia, norway but not exclusively.

A cue maker will tend to look for ash boards with close straight grain for his top of the range cues as they will have the same reflex qualities through the shaft. If a cue warps it will warp in the direction on the grain so if the grain is straight it will tend not to warp as much as one with curved grain but if one looks after ones cue and stores it properly this shoudn't be an issue.

Some players like many arrows, some don't give it a thought, my own cue has very few arrows, about three on the mace flat side and one on the opposite side, side grain is dead straight so there's your answer.

.http://
    Last edited by vmax; 24 May 2024, 08:53 AM.
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Thanks for your solid info.

Comment

Working...
      X