Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue making

Hi all,

I am thinking of making my first cue and I have been looking around for a piece of ash or maple for the shaft but I can't find any big enough (57") on the net.

So I wanted opinions: firstly does anyone know of anyone selling ash or maple big enough? or do i have to join it with a piece of ebony or something (i.e the butt)?

You could find some old one piece cues and start with it...
    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

If your not bothered about the quality of the shaft and just want a first foray into cue making you could just use cheap painted one piece cues like pub cues or something.
      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

depending how new you are to it, you should start by playing about with some old, cheap cues, and decorate them with a front splice or try 4 splices...
        since seeing totlxtc's (dan's) work ive been playing about and have gone through a few sh1tty cues i bought from ebay for 5 or 6 or 7£ inc postage but uve gotta keep trying, im struggling now with a one piece ebony cue, but the beauty is that i can see the mistakes as i go along, but god... its hard!!!

Comment

Thanks guys, I think I might have a play around with splices on some cheap ebay cues then who knows.....I just wanted to create something from scratch, but i'm kidding myself if i think i can do a good job first time round.

Anymore suggestions are welcome.

Comment

Buy an Ash shafted cue from mike with an ash butt and 4 ash splices

Ebay would be cheaper though

Oh and remember to ask for a square taper or he will do that bit for you

Comment

What i did was work the whole job out, ie: how to splice, how to measure, how to shape etc. Then i did a design that was complicated to see where i would go right and where i would go wrong. In theory it is simple. But in practice there are so many things that will come back and bite you if you are not careful.

After doing the "frankenstein" cue I went onto (as stated here) old pub cues, cheap knackered 1 pieces, old bce/riley cues etc and even broom handles. Get yourself some cheapo hardwood (craft supplies are a good bet) and practice, practice, practice. If you have a idea, try it! If you try it on a old broom handle and it messes up, nothing lost! At least its not a piece of expensive ebony. Once you have got a little confidence try rosewood for a butt onto a donor maple shaft. Its cheaper and easier to work and can produce a nice cue. Add a splice and veneer on it. Dont go over the top tho as its so easy to make 1 mistake and its ruined. Aim lower and achieve higher.

Ferrules for example need a little practice to get right aswell (Yes Mike i messed your one up before you add your 20p). Get some from ebay or Dave Coutts does some. Play around with different sizes, lopping an inch off and retapering the shaft.

Finishing is the hardest part of the whole job to be honest. To get it right is a long and tedious task, but is very rewarding when you have the finished article.

And finally....YOU WILL MAKE MISTAKES! Accept it, its a learning curve. Simple things like planing a splice and the ebony starts ripping on the blade can become a nightmare. Dont get fustrated. Stop, have a coffee, relax and go back. Dont expect to be as good as Trevor, Mike or John Parris, it wont happen overnight. They do it for a living and have had all the hassles and fustrations. Even now i have spoken to Mike and a cue will be giving him heartache, so it happens to the best of them.

So a few tips:

1) Start basic and cheap.
              2) Work out where your strengths and weaknesses are.
              3) Dont work on anything if your tired or fustrated....IT WILL GO WRONG!
              4) Practice, Practice and practice a little more.
              5) Enjoy it

Oh and another thing......Dont put the badge on till last as i found out after trying to remove it...

PS: Equipment you will need:

A lathe if you can get one (I still do not have one)
              Bailey plane
              Hand plane
              Tenon Saw
              Glue (Araldite or Wood glue)
              Huge stockpile of mixed sandpapers
              Wirewool
              Linseed oil
              Scalpel
              Stanley Knife
              Ferrules
              File

PPS: If you want any pre-cut splices i have a mixture here of bits and bobs that i have cut up. So if you fanncy a look PM me and i can show you what i have spare.

Dan
              Last edited by totlxtc; 21 May 2009, 02:26 AM.
              sigpic <---New Website
              Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Please Please Please will you make me the worlds coolest spliced broom handle Dan???

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
                  Please Please Please will you make me the worlds coolest spliced broom handle Dan???
                  Bloody students. Always wanting a free ride!
                  sigpic <---New Website
                  Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Thanks totlxtc thats some great advise. I was thinking of some pau rosa splices and maybe some satine bloodwood as they're quite cheap and since i wont be using ebony on my first cue i think a nice dark bloodwood would be ideal.

I'm gonna give cutting the splices myself ago first. But if i have any real difficulty i may have to purchase some of you totlxtc, just so i can try to reproduce your handy work.

By the way I love the look of 'Frankenstein'. I hope I can produce something as good.

Comment

I'm gonna have a bash at this one day too. Got a little shed in the back, so its a lightbulb moment haha.

Comment

I was wondering where people are getting their wood from for splices etc. I know of craft-supplies but i would like some alternatives???

Comment

Originally Posted by Virkokka View Post
                          I was wondering where people are getting their wood from for splices etc. I know of craft-supplies but i would like some alternatives???
                          why? they're good people....
                          The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

I like to shop around. Plus I eventually want to make a cue from scratch so I'll need ash/maple/ebony etc which craft-supplies dont seem to do.

Comment

Dan,
                              How do you do a ferrule without a lathe?
                              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                              X