New Shaft.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Shaft.

I need to get a new shaft handspliced into my cue, unfortunately I snapped it tripping over. Im after advice on different woods, maple vs ash, different grades and where the wood comes from. I like the feel of ash but wish to keep a open mind. Could someone advise me on the different grades of ash and what difference this makes to the feel of a cue. Cheers guys

Originally Posted by scott
    I need to get a new shaft handspliced into my cue, unfortunately I snapped it tripping over. Im after advice on different woods, maple vs ash, different grades and where the wood comes from. I like the feel of ash but wish to keep a open mind. Could someone advise me on the different grades of ash and what difference this makes to the feel of a cue. Cheers guys
    you wont get any better advice, imho, than to go out and actually sample the differences.

BOL

Semih

Comment

I prefer the feel of ash and the look of maple!
      I love to try a pearwood cue but haven't as yet!

Comment

Sounds like you got shafted!

Comment

very much so, shafted is a polite way of saying it. Unlucky accident, the cue itself was from my Dad before he passed away and have his name on the badge as a memonto to pass onto my kids when they play,have to admit I cried when it happened (im a sentimental bugger when it comes to my old man), ooh well, now saving my money to get it fixed

Comment

Originally Posted by scott
            very much so, shafted is a polite way of saying it. Unlucky accident, the cue itself was from my Dad before he passed away and have his name on the badge as a memonto to pass onto my kids when they play,have to admit I cried when it happened (im a sentimental bugger when it comes to my old man), ooh well, now saving my money to get it fixed
            heart firmly on your sleeve there scott

theres quite a few types of wood you could use, but id go for "traditional" ash.

you could e-mail a few cue makers (make a draft e-mail, and copy it to each) asking for advice, and quotes.

Comment

Hi Scott,

Not sure where in Australia you are?

If your in Sydney try Peter Hanley.

www.peterhanleycues.com

If in Melbourne, there's a guy in Geelong, I have to find out his details though.

Micky

Comment

Im in Mudgee, out in the sticks mate, Ive heard of Peter Hanley, will email him straight away and also thinking of kasman billards, as I have had dealings with them before and they are great.

Comment

cheers mate, will get onto it, was always thinking traditional ash and have had a little bit of communication with Kasman billards, thanks for the reply. Will let you know what I do once all communications with cue makers completed.

Comment

The varying grades of ash are represented in both the feel and the aesthetic look, ash is a grainy wood but better quality ash (grade A) has a more uniform grain and when played with feels fantastic. You don't get the same feel with the lower grades. Ash over maple every time for me.

Ash also gives a much stiffer hit than maple, maple is rarely seen in snooker cues these days and I would choose ash over maple any time of the week!
                    Watch Exclusive Snooker Live & On Demand
                    Freeview Snooker TV channel

Comment

just talked to peter, looking at about 350 for a new ash shaft to be handspliced on, now to save the money, put 2 of my surfboards up for sale and will need to save a little more then should get it done

Comment

The surfboards were no bloody use in Mudgee anyway!

Seriously though, why not just get a new cue, or get the old butt fitted with a (3/4) joint and then have a new shaft?

Comment

Working...
                        X