Snooker cue tip question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker cue tip question

I just bought a snooker cue a few days ago. The cue has a 8mm tip instead of the usual 9-9.5mm tip. I like the 8mm tip because based on playing pool I like a small tip as I found out that I can control the cue ball better. Also, I saw somewhere that some players do play snooker with 8mm tip cues which further pursuaded me to get a 8mm tip cue and led me to believe there isn't anything wrong with a 8mm snooker cue.

However, after I bought the cue I saw from another forum that a smaller tip cue is not good because the shots tend to feel whippy or something? and that there is less wood under the tip (if you get what I mean) which could lead to the shaft being cracked. Does this mean I've made the wrong decision in getting a 8mm snooker cue? or do I have to take extra precautions? and if I do have to take extra precautions then how? Any advice, tips and suggestions would be fantastic.

Thank you very much for the help.

btw, if there is a need then I can post pictures of the cue.

Originally Posted by sKyhiGh
    I just bought a snooker cue a few days ago. The cue has a 8mm tip instead of the usual 9-9.5mm tip. I like the 8mm tip because based on playing pool I like a small tip as I found out that I can control the cue ball better. Also, I saw somewhere that some players do play snooker with 8mm tip cues which further pursuaded me to get a 8mm tip cue and led me to believe there isn't anything wrong with a 8mm snooker cue.

However, after I bought the cue I saw from another forum that a smaller tip cue is not good because the shots tend to feel whippy or something? and that there is less wood under the tip (if you get what I mean) which could lead to the shaft being cracked. Does this mean I've made the wrong decision in getting a 8mm snooker cue? or do I have to take extra precautions? and if I do have to take extra precautions then how? Any advice, tips and suggestions would be fantastic.

Thank you very much for the help.

btw, if there is a need then I can post pictures of the cue.

the cue taper will depend on whether its "too whippy" or not

(you could have a very strong thich cue wchich has a very sharp taper to 8mm and you could also have a thin cue with a more shallow taper with not such strong wood)

so, it depends

also, only youd know whether an 8mm tip is too small for you. its slightly smaller than the snooker average, but its about correct for "english" pool

Comment

having played american pool (where they have very interesting discussion about their equipments), I guess the taper plays a part in how whippy the cue feels, along with the quality of the wood and/or processing.

having said that, I noticed that some of the Parris cues (e.g. Ronnie's cue that he gave away last worlds; Jimbo's) have a weird parabolic taper in them.... the tip runs conical abt 10", and then the taper dive down again to the butt end. Very obvious when view from the front when they are cueing on TV.

I have not seen a cue made from Thailand (e.g. RoboDing's, I presume he is using a MasterCue?) which has such kind of taper. Limited amt of experience with other English cues.

Wonder how special those parabolic taper feels.

Comment

yeah semih another reason I chose a 8mm tip is because the balls here in Aus are same size as the english pool balls and that I only play pool up until now since I wish to start playing snooker as well.

lbs: it seems my cue doesn't have that special parabolic taper - it's just a 'normal' taper (if thats what it is called).

thanks for the help so far, cheers.

btw, the cue I bought is a Mastercue, Mastercue Century according to the badge/logo disc (But the seller told me it is actually a Pyragon(sp?) ie. a Mastercue M7). Anyway, I've uploaded some photos of the cue and the cue tip - the photos are not very good but it is the best my digital camera can do, sorry.

link to photos: Mastercue

Comment

in snooker mho potting accuracy is very important i am currently trying to use a 8mm tip on a peradon cue i feel my potting accuracy is not as good as before have won 2 snooker comps with my old £5 cue 9.5mm tip now need new cue can still play well and have not persevered with 8mm cuetip long enough yet but forgetting about whippy etc you will put unwanted side on cue ball with a smaller tip but will usually do more with the cue ball

Comment

yeah, I've decided to change to a 9mm tip cue and the seller has allowed me to change it which is very good. So it'll be all good.

Comment

Working...
            X