Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member, Cue Wanted

Hi All,
    Been lurking for a few days whilst researching cues, makers etc as I am looking to buy myself a new cue. I have a budget of a couple hundred, don't really want to spend a great deal more so English handmades are out of the equation I think. From what I have seen I'm sure I would be pretty happy with one of several, Phoenix, Craftsmen, Master, Powerglide, Perradon, GBL all seem to have nice looking cues in my budget, however, I would prefer to see and hold the cue and maybe knock a few balls before I select the actual cue that I want and I am stuggling to find anywhere in the south of England that has this facility. There appears to be a couple of places in the North (Craftsmen and Green Baize) where this is possible but I live in Petersfield (just north of Portsmouth) and given the absence of any outlets nearby-ish I am considering going to the Pompey away game to Leeds to visit the Craftsmen cue shop. Any advice will be appreciated regarding cue choice, quality, value for money, manufacturers reputation and hopefully someone might know somewhere in a hundred mile radius of Petersfield (London included) where I might be able to look at and buy a cue.
    Many Thanks Dan

One of the absolute top cue makers (mike wooldridge) is in Pompey I believe. Although he doesn't have "stock cues" if you email him (be polite, hi mike, hope you're well, thank you etc) he might be able to advise you anywhere you can try local. I doubt he got where he is without knowing his competition, local and national. There is also another cue maker in Southampton, but his reputation for cues is a bit suspect. Some swear by him, some say avoid like the plague. I'm sure mike will advise you regarding him.... I have never had any problem, and when I sent him an email asking advise he responded very quickly and was very helpful, so I've no reason to say any bad words about him.
    Alternatively, go to the Leeds game and visit craftsman. I have never read a bad word about their cues, and apparently the service level is brilliant.
    Hope you find what you're looking for.
    Dean
    If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Thanks Dean, I think it might be a good idea to contact Mike, his website shows some Shark cues that I might be able to stretch to. I am going to Birmingham later today and there are 3 places there that I hope to check out. If I go to the Pompey away game I will have to work out what to do with the cue during the match, I think security might take a dim view of me taking inside the stadium although with the animal supporters at Leeds it would probably come in handy.

Comment

Good advice from Dean.
        May be ask ADR147 as well. He probably has something in your price range in stock.
        Good luck.
        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Not sure of the distance, but I think Trevor White is in South Wales (near Cardiff??). He is another I don't think has "stock cues", but may have names of places for you to try, or may have a part finished cue that is available. His email address is on this forum somewhere, or look him up under trevs1. He's another very knowledgable and helpful guy who won't do you wrong, not to mention top tier cue maker!

I forgot about ADR. He might have a cue to your specs and budget, but somehow I doubt you will be able to try them, due to location above all else!
          If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Ordered a Mike Wooldridge 1 piece black shark, can't wait for it to arrive.
            regards dan

Comment

Hi Dan,

Excellent choice mate I've had my ash one piece shark for a few months and love it.

Cheers,
              Simon.

Comment

Good choice. I'm not a fan of the "shark" series (not keen on the design, personal preference) but from what I understand, any cue made by Mike Wooldridge is good, so hopefully you will be happy with it.

Give us an update after you've had a few games with it and let us know what you think.

Dean

Comment

Originally Posted by danfire70 View Post
                  Ordered a Mike Wooldridge 1 piece black shark, can't wait for it to arrive.
                  regards dan
                  Good choice, don't forget to tell us how you get on and post piccies
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Will do, hope it doesn't take too long to arrive.

Comment

Working...
                    X