Ash grain darkness question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash grain darkness question??

I am currently finding that using my current cue that the Ash grain can sometimes distract me when I'm cueing.

Does anyone know why the grain is black on some cues and a much lighter colour on others?

Is it the different types of Ash or is this dark grain artificially done to highlight the grain so perhaps it's in the way the Ash shaft is finished?

Just curious

Here's a couple of pictures of the 2 cues side by side which demonstrate this

Last edited by sootyvrs; 9 August 2011, 08:38 AM.

am the opposite, i love dark grain

but to answer post am guessing the grain filler has been darkened more by a dye.
    Last edited by mattyshinobi22; 9 August 2011, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by mattyshinobi22 View Post
      am the opposite, i love dark grain

but to answer post am guessing the grain filler has been darkened more by a dye.
      From what I understand, this is close. Its not a dye, but various powder or such added to the grain filler. Jason Owen (Cue Guru) uses ebony dust, which will give a really dark grain. Others use various lighter substances, such as graphite dust. It is (from what I understand) all about what gets mixed in with the filler.

Of note though, you have 2 completely different cues there, one close grained, one quite wide grained, so the wider grained shaft (the darker one) will always appear darker anyway.

I'm sure if I'm wrong, Mike, Trevor, or one of the other cue makers here will correct me, but I think that is what it is.
      If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Yes the close grained cue is just a cheap cue and I guess with all the close grains makes the grains appear less distinctive but even so there is a difference.

So do all cue makers use this grain filler? I assume this is to make the shaft smooth?

Interesting that the grain can be made lighter though

Comment

Originally Posted by sootyvrs View Post
          Yes the close grained cue is just a cheap cue and I guess with all the close grains makes the grains appear less distinctive but even so there is a difference.

So do all cue makers use this grain filler? I assume this is to make the shaft smooth?

Interesting that the grain can be made lighter though
          I'm sure the closer grain results in a stiffer cue (more cue mass or something like that), so unless both are sports store brought type cues, for wood selection a cuemaker would choose the wood according to whether you want a stiff cue or whippy one, making a stiffer shaft more expensive.

The grain does get filled on all ash cues. The natural brain is quite open, even on a "close grained" cue, so would be catching on whiskers or snagging your chin. Plus, it helps to act as a sealer for the wood, keeping the natural oils in etc.

The actual grain in the ash is normally a darker "natural" wood colour, that is all. It isn't black, grey, brown, or any other colour. I found this out when I started making a cue a couple of months ago.
          Dean
          If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

you fill the grain to seal the wood and also to give a nicer appearance, it is possible to get a lighter colour grain or even a coloured grain, such as blue, if one wanted.
            "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Yes, you can get it in any colour. Actually a dark brown might be a nice choice if you do not like the grains to look too dark.
              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

That's very interesting to hear that you can make the grain to be same colour as the shaft to make it more "invisible" as it now gives me options to go for Ash if I decide to get a custom made cue in the future.

Comment

Originally Posted by sootyvrs View Post
                  That's very interesting to hear that you can make the grain to be same colour as the shaft to make it more "invisible" as it now gives me options to go for Ash if I decide to get a custom made cue in the future.
                  It's not you make it more "invisible", it is visible from the start, there just isn't too much difference between the wood and the grain. The grain pattern itself is still visible, and still stands out, but it isn't highlighted by the darkness.
                  You could always just use a "natural" coloured filler that wouldnt darken it too much, making it slightly less obvious.
                  Dean

Comment

Working...
                  X