No announcement yet.

My Honest "Woods Cue" Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have recently begun playing snooker after I gave up for more than 20 years. The first thing I want to do is to buy a snooker cue which was not affordable to me when I was a student. In my home city, it is not easy to find a snooker shop as it is no longer a very popular sport. Therefore, like others, I searched internet and wanted to buy one online with a reasonable price. Since I am a beginner, I don’t believe that I can really tell the difference among cues just after trying a few shots. There are also not many cue producers offering cross border selling services, except Woods Cues. After looking its catalogue, I quickly ordered one. My lessons learnt are:

1) never buy a snooker cue online. You must try, or at least take a look at the surface of the cue, before making a purchase;
    2) free UK shipping shown on the top of website does not mean the products are made in the UK;
    3) never trust the reviews posted by the cue producers as only those with 5 stars will be posted.

A few weeks ago, I finally decided to buy a Peradon Cue when I took the Woods Cue to a snooker shop to re-tip as its original tip was already fully worn off when delivered.

Comment

• I think that’s to do with the joint, if it was a one piece I think it would be lined up

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ashchan View Post
        I have recently begun playing snooker after I gave up for more than 20 years. The first thing I want to do is to buy a snooker cue which was not affordable to me when I was a student. In my home city, it is not easy to find a snooker shop as it is no longer a very popular sport. Therefore, like others, I searched internet and wanted to buy one online with a reasonable price. Since I am a beginner, I don’t believe that I can really tell the difference among cues just after trying a few shots. There are also not many cue producers offering cross border selling services, except Woods Cues. After looking its catalogue, I quickly ordered one. My lessons learnt are:

1) never buy a snooker cue online. You must try, or at least take a look at the surface of the cue, before making a purchase;
        2) free UK shipping shown on the top of website does not mean the products are made in the UK;
        3) never trust the reviews posted by the cue producers as only those with 5 stars will be posted.

A few weeks ago, I finally decided to buy a Peradon Cue when I took the Woods Cue to a snooker shop to re-tip as its original tip was already fully worn off when delivered.
        Some don't leave up anything but 5 stars, i for one of I had any about with I did.
        I would leave it up and try to sort the problem.
        For that one you've always wanted...
        https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

• I’ve ordered a 3/4 snooker cue from woods and been very happy with, yes the tip needs replacing but I tend to retip any cue brand new anyway, as long as you know what weight you need and do research what suits you I think woods cues are exceptional for the price, for what I need it for anyway I really cannot fault woods cues, great delivery time aswel, yes it’s not a paridon, britania or John Parris, if you want to spend £150+ then go for it but if you don’t then woods cues are great

Comment

• Did you get the 3 star woods cue or the lower end ones that have a lacquered finish on the shaft?

I read in a lot of posts that if you remove the lacquer and re-oil the shaft using a good cue oil/raw linseed oil it plays much better

Comment

• Originally Posted by psyhigh View Post
              Did you get the 3 star woods cue or the lower end ones that have a lacquered finish on the shaft?

I read in a lot of posts that if you remove the lacquer and re-oil the shaft using a good cue oil/raw linseed oil it plays much better
              I have had a few of these cues in from customers and refinished them. Just remember, generally the 3* cues are ebony and sanded easily, the cheaper lacquered ones are generally a man made composite which is fine but will not sand the same and can scratch or leave pink sections easily.

Removing lacquer is not easy and you should really use the correct safety equipment if you are going to sand it and breath it in; I personally do not sand the cheaper ones now for many reasons!
              Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
              Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
              Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

• Hi psyhigh, I’ve got a woods classic not a 3* but the weight is exactly what a ordered all the pictures where exactly correct to what I ordered, it may have a slight lacquer on it but the ash shaft is very smooth will see how it gets on after a few games with it over a month or so, the case is class and all the extensions included tough to beat for the price quality hand made cue

Comment

• Ive used my cue for the first time tonight and more than happy with it, I think the laquer thing with woods cues is hit and miss either it has it or just a little of it or like mine feels like no laquer at all really smooth the other cue I bought had a little laquer on it but still smooth nothing to worry about, quality cues overall

Comment

• Hi, first time post.
                    Ordered a cue today from woods, I'll let you know what it's like when it comes. I pretty much only play pool, but don't fancy using my 16yo parris with a 8mm tip for snooker, so thought I'd buy a cheap cue. Hopefully it's not a lemon.

Comment

• Cool hope it serves you well, no 8mm tip far too small for me mines 9.5mm just make sure you change the tip on first

Comment

• Cheers, me too! I'll have the odd night of 9ball with it too, just break off with a house bat. Yeah I've heard the tips are no good, luckily I've got some 10mm elks knocking about. The varnish will have to go thoug!

Comment

• So hit and miss with the varnish some are some aren’t varnished or lacquered mine smooth and straight might if got lucky what number did you get

Comment

• It looks like it has been finished on the pictures, no idea how thick it is though, I'm a joiner so not bothered about refinishing it, just hope it's straight like yours! It's number 7477, asked to swap the case to a black one, not to keen on the one in the pics.

Comment

• Mines 6188 if you want to have a look I’ve also taken pictures aswel to upload to the forum but not sure how to do it yours looks very cool cue you can swap it to any case you want I think

Comment

• Just had a look at yours, nice looking cue, nice chevrons on the shaft, does it play well? My parris has a very stiff shaft, if I hold it lightly and cue across the cushion on a pool table, resting it on the metal trim, it sometimes sounds like a miss cue but it's not lol, sort of vibrates like a tuning fork ha ha, plays well though, can literally play the extreme edges of the white and there's no noticeable throw, don't think I'd get on with a whippy shaft after playing with this for about 16 year. BTW are you sure yours hasn't got any lacquer or varnish? It seems to end on the 2nd chevron up from the end of the ebony splice? Can u see the change in colour in the pics on the website?

Comment

Working...
                                X