No announcement yet.

My Honest "Woods Cue" Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry misread you, it's smooth, u never said it wasn't lacquered or varnished, my bad m8

Comment

• Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
      I have had a few of these cues in from customers and refinished them. Just remember, generally the 3* cues are ebony and sanded easily, the cheaper lacquered ones are generally a man made composite which is fine but will not sand the same and can scratch or leave pink sections easily.

Removing lacquer is not easy and you should really use the correct safety equipment if you are going to sand it and breath it in; I personally do not sand the cheaper ones now for many reasons!
      Just bought a standard cue, it says it's ebony in the description, in your experience are the stock cues not? I'll be looking to strip the lacquer and don't want to find a stained hardwood and ruin the finish, suppose I could always send it back as not as described if that's the case

Comment

• Originally Posted by The8baller View Post
        Just bought a standard cue, it says it's ebony in the description, in your experience are the stock cues not? I'll be looking to strip the lacquer and don't want to find a stained hardwood and ruin the finish, suppose I could always send it back as not as described if that's the case
        Easier way is to stripe the front and leave what ever is on the butt.
        That way you will not have the stained problem but the woods cues I've seen have not been stained..
        For that one you've always wanted...
        https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

• I’m not sure wether you could send it back that’s the only problem with woods cues, don’t strip the laquer to far back there’s a very fine line between stripping it and ruing it over time, just bed it in if the laquer is too much use a crunched up piece of paper to clean it aswel hope this helps

Comment

• The cue plays really well love the feel and balance on it and it’s straight, it’s just the numpty who plays with it that’s the problem lol

Comment

• Yes your right my cue does have a laquer on it but only upto the 2nd chevron, the cue has no laquer on it where my rest hand is, it’s just a great cue it’s just me who holding it needs to learn to play saying that tho, I’ve had a 21 break and few mid teen breaks so I’m happy with that

Comment

• Mentioned I was thinking of getting a snooker cue to the pool lads last week, had a rearranged match tonight and one of them has brought a Britannia cue I'm a peradon case and said it's yours, I've played 3 frames with it and I'm sticking to pool! Told him I couldn't possibly but he insisted, I straightened, refinished and retipped his cue for him last month so he wanted to! If the woods cue is bent it won't come out of the case again ha ha

Comment

• Guy i know uses a woods cue, a maple, he's made numerous maxes and centuries. He's only ever had about 2 cues in total for all his years playing, cue looks like a turd to be honest but it works for him.

Comment

• Obviously a brilliant player, I promise you this cue will never make a century with me holding it m8! I'd never play with a bent cue, it would annoy me, but look at Hendry.

Comment

• curious thing about woods cue, having obtained a one piece I decided that a 3/4 was easier to transport. cutting the cue was not a problem and several joints are redily available. surprise when icut the cue I discovered not ebony as expected, but a phenolic plastic surrounding the wooden shaft. nowhere in the listings do I see plastic listed as a splice option. I have continued with the project, added weight to the but and installed a joint.i now have a 3/4 that plays fairly well but has 0 $ value. this cue advertised at around $250. for imitation wood I don't think is fair value

Comment

• Not had chance to reply to this thread, been mega busy, my cue arrived and I can tell it's not real ebony also, I know they shouldn't advertise it as ebony when it's not, but for the price I paid, with a case, extensions and postage, it's finished well, nice shaft, good balance and is perfectly straight, so for the odd few frames it will play it's fine for m, not worth sending back as you pay postage both ways apparently.

Comment

• Return the cue unaltered within 6 months and Woods would be liable for the postage and full refund whatever they say. If they don't cooperate, open a case with paypal or you card issuer, however you paid. You may need to prove the cue isn't as described, which isn't so easy. If you have a local woodworker or cue maker who can put in writing that the but isn't ebony, would be a quick win for you.

I really think anyone with major issues like this with Woods cues should return. They're bare faced lying, and will continue to do so if they're not being forced to stop. So many times I've read about cues being bent, cracked or different to what was promised, but people keeping the cue anyway because it was cheap and/or the return is a hassle.

Comment

• I've retipped it, but that's it, I'm a joiner and can 100% tell it's not ebony, but like you say it's a hassle. If it was bent or cracked it would be going back regardless.

Comment

• aslong as we spread the word that WOODS cues are not of fair value are cheaply made and the company does not stand behind their products this forum will be fullfiling its purpose. these cues are worth about $100 in line with the other cues in this price range. I will be overjoyed when I read here tha woods is no longer in production due to falling sales !!

Comment

• woods cues are junk

further to my previous post I am listed as a junior member. since I am over 70 I am flattered but bewildered. I have played snooker for 60 yrs own serveral cues, and am still learning to play, this wonderful game. I hope my experience with woods cue will be of help to anyone who is planning on buying a cue and they wont waste their money on junk

Comment

Working...
                                X