This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• img20150628_173137.jpg
    Any one know age and value of these 2? Special cue is a bit beat up and been shortened to around 56.5 " but the riley cue is in pretty good nick at 58"" unferruled both stamped 16 and a half with a Y underneath?
    No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

• Originally Posted by culraven View Post
      [ATTACH]17925[/ATTACH]
      Any one know age and value of these 2? Special cue is a bit beat up and been shortened to around 56.5 " but the riley cue is in pretty good nick at 58"" unferruled both stamped 16 and a half with a Y underneath?
      My initial thoughts are for mid-late 1970s due to the name and layout; being after the "Riley Burwat" and before the 80s stylized logo.
      Any photo of the stamp please?
      as you have probably seen before, on the Gordon Radford (The Cue Collector) website, etc, the letter stamp probably does not indicate any particular year.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
        My initial thoughts are for mid-late 1970s due to the name and layout; being after the "Riley Burwat" and before the 80s stylized logo.
        Any photo of the stamp please?
        as you have probably seen before, on the Gordon Radford (The Cue Collector) website, etc, the letter stamp probably does not indicate any particular year.
        Thought E J Riley was before Riley Burwat, did they go back to that when they dropped the Burwat and went back to just being Riley?

Comment

• yep, for a short period after Riley Burwat and before Rileys they do appear to me to go back to EJ Riley, mid70s to early 80s.

Comment

yep, for a short period after Riley Burwat and before Rileys they do appear to me to go back to EJ Riley, mid70s to early 80s.
            Cheers for that, never knew they brought the name back. Here is the stampsimg20150628_183620.jpgimg20150628_183531.jpg

Comment

• Originally Posted by culraven View Post
              Cheers for that, never knew they brought the name back. Here is the stamps[ATTACH]17926[/ATTACH][ATTACH]17927[/ATTACH]
              I think the name never really went away but was not used on badges/logos etc for that Riley Burwat period

Comment

I think the name never really went away but was not used on badges/logos etc for that Riley Burwat period
                I'd just always used the logo to get a rough date, so anything with the E J Riley logo I assumed was pre 1967 when they took over Burwat. Got a feeling I might of overpaid?

Comment

• this is only my feelings at this time which what I have come across, they could be late 60s but have not found evidence of that, only 70s... anyone?

how much did you pay? :wink:

Comment

this is only my feelings at this time which what I have come across, they could be late 60s but have not found evidence of that, only 70s... anyone?

how much did you pay? :wink:
                    £40 for the pair, thought I'd got a bargain as I never seem to find old ash cues!

Comment

• Just to clarify the changes to the Riley trading name, "E. J. Riley Ltd." formed "Riley Burwat Ltd." as the operating company on the amalgamation with Burroughes & Watts in 1967 (two years prior to the takeover, when they bought out the Hurst Park Syndicate.) They continued with this name until 1977, making various acquisitions through the seventies and eighties, with "E. J. Riley Ltd." remaining the holding company for the group. In 1977 they became a public company and this entity traded as "E. J. Riley (Billiards) Ltd." although several subsequent acquisitions also traded under their own names. In 1987 the whole group was itself taken over by Midsummer Leisure and renamed "Riley Leisure Ltd."

As DeanH says, the company name of "E. J. Riley Ltd." never went away and could possibly have been used at any time during this period, but personally I would think it unlikely. So, if I had to put money on a date for this cue, I would go for pre-1967 (although I could be wrong.)
                      Last edited by 100-uper; 29 June 2015, 09:16 AM. Reason: updated thoughts not relevant

Comment

• done some more looking around and have found some indicators to move this badge design to pre-1967 (when the rb. logo appeared as discussed above) but I think this badge is any much earlier than 1960. Will continue to look around but it appears that this "EJ Riley Accrington, London three ball" is ~1960-66, then the "rb." logo 1967-1980~, then "stylised ball in corner pocket" logo from 1984 (deffo).

Culraven, seen the special club cue bought for around £40 elsewhere so I don't think you have lost out

Comment

• Thanks guys. I really need to stop impulse buying, bought a walking stick cue the other day and I don't even remember wanting it or bidding on it! Lol

Comment

• Anyone interested in vintage snooker cues may find a video that I've just put on Youtube of interest. Andy Hunter shows and discusses a selection of thumbprint cues including an exceptionally rare John Roberts Picture badge. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has come across one of these before
                            Here's the link: [URL="https://youtu.be/eu7tJ_AHLMQ"

Comment

• Try this link: [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu7tJ_AHLMQ"

Comment

• Latest cue just arrived. Very pleased to have got this. A few pics then it's being tucked up safely. .

Comment

Working...
                                X