This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
    Well I am using this time to have a bit of an office sort out so will maybe post a few bits and bobs that might interest people as they turn up. Superb original condition Joe Davis 1936 Riley Tombstone to commemorate his 1933 114 world record break, the Peradon version you see a fairly often but these are rare.

Just out of curiosity, why did the pigeon ring ferrule go out of fashion? It's bound to have less effect on the cue ball, did it not last long enough ?
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Hi,

I've recently inherited some old cues and have no info on them. Can anyone help? The First one has a barely visible engraving of "Burroughes & Watts London", The middle one has a plate with "Ye Olde Ash Cue, Burroughes and Watts, London, and the third has a plate with "Padmore, The Tournament Cue, Specially Selected Birmingham." The pictures are a bit dodgy (its harder than I thought to get good pictures of snooker cues) but I will add better ones tomorrow if needed.

Thanks,

Scott

Comment

• your images do not show on TSF.
        You can use a free image-sharing site such as ImgBB, without registering, to upload your images, you may have to do the “not a robot” checks quickly.
        In ImgBB, change the "Embed Code" to "BBCode full linked", hover over the code, a "copy" will appear, click this.
        Go to your TSF post and paste. You can repeat for multiple images in a single post.
        There are other sites as well.
        look forward to seeing all your photos
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by Scott JB Jones View Post
          Hi,

I've recently inherited some old cues and have no info on them. Can anyone help? The First one has a barely visible engraving of "Burroughes & Watts London", The middle one has a plate with "Ye Olde Ash Cue, Burroughes and Watts, London, and the third has a plate with "Padmore, The Tournament Cue, Specially Selected Birmingham." The pictures are a bit dodgy (its harder than I thought to get good pictures of snooker cues) but I will add better ones tomorrow if needed.

Thanks,

Scott
          Thanks Dean, Hopefully the images are visible now.

Comment

• That short cue is virtually worthless, the Padmore you might get ?100 or more if you put it on Ebay. The Ye Olde Ash is worth a fair bit of money, shame the badge is so faded, but if you want to sell it let me know, how long is it ? And what is the tip end diameter.
            Think ?400 plus, could be a lot more if specs are good, don't sell it cheap
            Last edited by jrc750; 29 May 2020, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

Just out of curiosity, why did the pigeon ring ferrule go out of fashion? It's bound to have less effect on the cue ball, did it not last long enough ?
              Not sure - I always liked them!
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

• just bored so i thought i put a cue on here

Comment

• Top example of the inmann cue Gary

Comment

• Hi all,

Do many of you guys with an interest in old cues actually still play with them ?.

Ive got an old Riley Tombstone that I’ve been practicing with but I can see it’s limitations compared to a modern cue . I’ve been swapping the Riley with a Maximus to see the difference and how it affects my game.

Comment

• Starsky, do you find modern cue more rigid and the old cue more flexible?

Comment

• machine made burroughes and watts stevenson cue champion

Comment

• where do you find these?!
                          if I ever go to a car-boot I find nothing!

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                            Starsky, do you find modern cue more rigid and the old cue more flexible?
                            Sorry Dean I missed this reply.

Yes that’s what I have found.
                            It’s been a bit of a dilemma as while I like a cue with a bit more feel the extra power that a more modern cue gives is a definite plus point. The Maximus is more balanced through the cue compared to the Riley which is more butt heavy.
                            I’m playing at the same level with either cue ( crap ) but going forward I can see more potential in the Maximus and I’ve been solely using that for a while now.

The reason I ask the question is that you rarely see anyone playing with an old billiard cue these days. I wonder if any of the pro’s still use one ?. If they do I’d guess it’s one of the older players.

Comment

• there are a few pros who use a cue that they have had since younger days but that is not what you mean
                              There could be a current pro with an old but I have not heard of one on the tour now
                              One that I know about is Shaun Murphy who's previous cue was an old Tom Newman 1370 (c1924-1930) which he got for his 15th birthday but had (supposedly) been used by Ray Reardon back in the 60/70s. This broke on Shaun around June 2013.

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                                there are a few pros who use a cue that they have had since younger days but that is not what you mean
                                There could be a current pro with an old but I have not heard of one on the tour now
                                One that I know about is Shaun Murphy who's previous cue was an old Tom Newman 1370 (c1924-1930) which he got for his 15th birthday but had (supposedly) been used by Ray Reardon back in the 60/70s. This broke on Shaun around June 2013.
                                I guessed as much, thanks for confirming .

I remember seeing a interview with Ronnie and he was talking about when he changed from the cue he had as a kid which I remember being an old billiard cue. He said he should have changed a long time earlier due to the limitations of the old cue compared to a modern cue. I’d say most of players from around that time were using old cues, that was until Jimmy started to play with the H&O three quarter length...

Comment

Working...
                                X