Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking advice on a cue nameplate... I recently acquired this willie smith champion cue, can anyone tell me whether this badge is made from ivory? There is kind of a grain like pattern on the edges of the badge which I’ve been told indicates that it could be ivory.

Ill stick a few more pics of it on here too, it’s a beauty!

Comment

• a very nice cue there
      from the look of it it seems to be a later version from the shape and width of the butt (as opposed to the wider flatter billiard-cue look)
      the earliest cue are from 1924 when Smith contracted to B&Ws, and not sure when the later version came out and so this is precisely when plastics started to be used.
      From look alone I am not sure if it is ivory.
      I hope others come on with their views
      lovely looking cue
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Thanks Dean, it’s in really good condition considering it’s age and pretty much dead straight, so I’m happy with it. Plays surprisingly well too! If someone could give an estimate on the year of manufacture that would be great.

Comment

• my guess, purely a guess, for this version is 1930s to WW2

Comment

• I think it may be slightly earlier than the 1930s. As far as I know Burroughes & Watts closed their cue-making facility in the late 1920s and moved to wholesale supply for all the cues they were selling. The fact that this cue mentions that it was manufactured by them would suggest early to mid 1920s to me. Smith was, of course, champion in 1920 and 1923.

Willie Smith was under contract to Burroughes & Watts from 1923 to 1932, after which he entered into an agreement with Kent & Cleal, the wholesale manufacturer for the sole manufacture and supply of his branded cues.
            Last edited by 100-uper; 5 November 2019, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• so he sign with B&W 1924 to 1932
              so the cue could not be outside that range

you thoughts, ivory vs plastic?

Comment

• It is my understanding that Smith's contract with Burroughes & Watts commenced in May 1923 and was initially for six years, but towards the end of that period it was extended to nine years. Neither party would have been producing a cue which carried the other's name outside these dates. I haven't seen an advert for this particular cue, so can't say whether it was an ivory badge or not. They did still use ivory for top end cues right through the period between the wars, and beyond, but I can't say whether this was one of those models. Andy Hunter will know.

Update: Looking at the photos of the badge on my PC, I would say that was definitely ivory.
                Last edited by 100-uper; 5 November 2019, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• Hi, I have recently came into the possession of a Thurston Ltd cue which is about 200 years old... anyone know the value of such cue? It’s the 1815 or after model after they became a Ltd company. Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Originally Posted by SnookerSam1009 View Post
                    Hi, I have recently came into the possession of a Thurston Ltd cue which is about 200 years old... anyone know the value of such cue? It’s the 1815 or after model after they became a Ltd company. Thanks in advance!
                    Need some pictures and specs etc, but it is very unlikely to be that early.
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

• Pictures please, always pictures

You can use a free image-sharing site such as ImgBB, without registering, to upload your images, you may have to do the “not a robot” checks quickly.
                      In ImgBB, change the "Embed Code" to "BBCode full linked", hover over the code, a "copy" will appear, click this.
                      Go to your TSF post and paste. You can repeat for multiple images in a single post.

There are other sites as well.

Comment

• Thurston became a limited company in 1896.

Comment

• The last Thurston cue with the name inlaid into the flat of the butt (I think this is what you describe of your cue) went for ?30 on ebay.

Comment

• Well I am using this time to have a bit of an office sort out so will maybe post a few bits and bobs that might interest people as they turn up. Superb original condition Joe Davis 1936 Riley Tombstone to commemorate his 1933 114 world record break, the Peradon version you see a fairly often but these are rare.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

• Hi, If anyone has any Burroughes and Watts cues for sale in good condition then please let me know 07762586856 thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X