X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vmax
    replied
    Originally Posted by Inoffthered View Post

This is excellent, quality workmanship.. are they for your own pleasure? Or do you sell? Would do well in retail!
    It was a lockdown project purely to enhance my wood finishing skills. Parts were sourced on ebay, pretty cheap at around 150 quid all in, didn't make anything myself except stain and finish the neck and body. I wouldn't do it again, but will make one from scratch sometime in the future with better quality timber and parts now that I know what I'm doing.

Leave a comment:

• Inoffthered
    replied
    Originally Posted by vmax View Post
    Have stained and grained the body and neck, shaped the pick guard and laid the parts together to see what it looks like, pretty cool I think. Now I have to attach the neck and solder the pick ups and switches.

http://
    This is excellent, quality workmanship.. are they for your own pleasure? Or do you sell? Would do well in retail!
    Last edited by Inoffthered; 9 June 2021, 01:36 PM. Reason: sausage fingers lol

Leave a comment:

• Inoffthered
    replied
    Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post

Fair play for answering. I think most cue makers don't hand plane from squares down now, maybe just Parris and J6. I don't think it makes any difference but it is a USP for some buyers. The resting you've done sounds spot on. I think Parris recommends 3 planings over 9mths, I could be wrong, the damn barley wine has affected the old cognitive today.
    Nothing wrong with Barley wine!

Leave a comment:

• John Flaf
    replied
    Nice job vmax, didn't notice the gold filler until you mentioned it, that would make a unique cue indeed.

Leave a comment:

• Cue crafty
    replied
    Gotta say I do love the way those Royal Blood lads get so much out of a bass guitar and drum kit. My kid tells me the guitar player uses several tuned bass guitars to get the required sound for each track! Jimmy page likes them so that's good enough for me!!

Leave a comment:

• vmax
    replied
    I think that gold grain filler on black stain is the bollocks, going to make a cue like that sometime

Leave a comment:

• Cue crafty
    replied
    Get your stacka boots on Steve, and Kerrang some glam rock! Love it.

Leave a comment:

• mikee
    replied
    Looks good mate ,has a nice vintage vibe about it ,hope it sounds and plays nice .

Leave a comment:

• vmax
    replied
    Finally finished it this week, looks and sounds pretty good for a first effort

Leave a comment:

• PatBlock
    replied
    Very nice indeed Steve. vmax would be a great brand name for guitars, would look cool on the headstock. Let us know when you start taking orders.

-

Leave a comment:

• John Flaf
    replied
    Bloody nora Vmax, not bad at all for someone with limited tools, very impressed.

Leave a comment:

• vmax
    replied
    Have stained and grained the body and neck, shaped the pick guard and laid the parts together to see what it looks like, pretty cool I think. Now I have to attach the neck and solder the pick ups and switches.

Leave a comment:

• vmax
    replied
    Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    The mocking bird ,Slash used one on the You could be mine video .Trouble with Floyd rose trems there are so many different ones ,and not all great quality ,the. Cheaper ones wear out the knife edges ,I prefer the Kahler trems with the Floyd rose lock nut in titanium ,stays in tune perfect .Trouble with guitars ,theres always another one to get
    It wasn't the trem's fault, it was mine as I had to rest my picking hand on it as that's how I learned on my Les Paul. If you touch any floating bridge it moves so therefore goes out of tune. Guitars are like cues I suppose, always another one to try 'til you find the one. I'm putting together this telecaster style one for a mate at work, I'm not too sure on my woodworking skills to make a neck from scratch just yet, for a start I don't have all the correct tools, but this tele partscaster will help me with my wood finishing and will take my cues to a higher level, finish wise anyway as that seems important for some.
    Something made from wood needs to be ultra shiny and not feel like wood for some reason

Leave a comment:

• mikee
    replied
    The mocking bird ,Slash used one on the You could be mine video .Trouble with Floyd rose trems there are so many different ones ,and not all great quality ,the. Cheaper ones wear out the knife edges ,I prefer the Kahler trems with the Floyd rose lock nut in titanium ,stays in tune perfect .Trouble with guitars ,theres always another one to get

Leave a comment:

• vmax
    replied
    Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Think it will look better with out the scratch plate ,what pickups you going for ,I really like the Bare Knuckles ,been using them for years .Guitar looks nice , have you made the neck too .
    I haven't made any of it, bought the various parts from different suppliers as I couldn't find a decent kit with the exact specs I wanted. Pick ups are Vanson humbucker sized P90's and will change the plastic nut for a brass one. Flattened and polished the frets today, will contour the body when my bigger clamps arrive, my four inch ones aren't big enough to clamp the body to my bench. Scratchplate will be cut down below the pick ups so as to only cover the lower horn up to the control plate anyway.
    I did make one back in the day in collaboration with a friend, I made the body and he made the neck and put it togther, a BC Rich Mockingbird copy with a floyd rose trem in metallic white, sold it on as I couldn't play the thing as I learned with my hand resting on the bridge and with a floyd rose it went out of tune everytime I touched it

Same as this but with a flying V pointed headstock

Leave a comment:

Working...
X