Thailand.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thailand.....

Apologies if this sort of thing has been posted before, but I have had a bit of a look and found nowt.

I'm pondering a holiday in Thailand, probably November or December (for some happy rays to ward of SAD) and the clincher could well be shopping opportunities is prices.

How much are the good cues over there? I'm not sure on whether to post it, or try going through customs with it, lol.

Also any ideas on linen shirts\suits\trousers\jackets and silk shirts would be appreciated.

Having bought a Mastercue back in 2005, my experience is you get a decent deal but not a great deal. The price I was given was for a foreigner...not a local...and the exchange rate he gave was in his favour too, so I'd suggest your best bet is to buy with US dollars but don't be too upset if they don't drop the price much. I paid in local currency and he still didn't budge much.

Easier to get extras thrown in like a mini-butt, towel, tips etc.

You'll obviously get a better deal if you also buy a leather case.

I walked straight through customs and didn't get stopped. Perhaps I got lucky. But the package I had wasn't too pricey anyway.

Clothes...no idea...you'll get taken to countless shops en-route to your requested destination - enjoy the chaos otherwise you'll go mad :-)))

Comment

Ton Praram has a price list in thai baht, fully transparent. Cues start at roughly 130-135 GBP going by recent rates

Comment

Ton Praram is expensive relatively. You could get cues from around 80 quid for a plain black ebony. sometimes even cheaper. question is what brand you want to buy. The few times I did buy in the past I had not issues bringing it over. But then I am in South Africa. Different rules for customs in different countries I sippose

Comment

Thanks to all....

Originally Posted by anish147 View Post
          Having bought a Mastercue back in 2005, my experience is you get a decent deal but not a great deal. The price I was given was for a foreigner...not a local...and the exchange rate he gave was in his favour too, so I'd suggest your best bet is to buy with US dollars but don't be too upset if they don't drop the price much. I paid in local currency and he still didn't budge much.

Easier to get extras thrown in like a mini-butt, towel, tips etc.

You'll obviously get a better deal if you also buy a leather case.

I walked straight through customs and didn't get stopped. Perhaps I got lucky. But the package I had wasn't too pricey anyway.

Clothes...no idea...you'll get taken to countless shops en-route to your requested destination - enjoy the chaos otherwise you'll go mad :-)))
          Hmmm, I am far too clumsy to go for a leather case; but the Currency is a good point - some may offer a better "price" than others....

re the clothes: I'd more likely be after tailor-made type stuff

Originally Posted by qc2 View Post
          Ton Praram has a price list in thai baht, fully transparent. Cues start at roughly 130-135 GBP going by recent rates
          hmm, not bad, and probably the top end of what I was hoping\expecting ie half price here....

Originally Posted by sanman View Post
          Ton Praram is expensive relatively. You could get cues from around 80 quid for a plain black ebony. sometimes even cheaper. question is what brand you want to buy. The few times I did buy in the past I had not issues bringing it over. But then I am in South Africa. Different rules for customs in different countries I sippose
          £80? Ideally I'd go for Ton, Master, Maximus etc is who I would be looking at, but I tend to go for how a cue feels rather than brand, butt and arrows...

Comment

I'm an American living in China and wondering about a decent Thai cue too so can't help you there. However if anyone has direct experience with moderate priced Thai cues please let me know some decent thai cue makers.

But... about the custom clothes.... beware! They play a big game there. First of all you can take the little scooter taxis for almost free or even free, they just will take you to a custom clothes shop or jewelry shop. They will "try" and intimidate you into buying some custom clothes and insist of 1/2 down payment. Then they will show up hours or even days late, at the last minute, before your departure to the airport, no time to try on and you got ill fitting poorly made clothes.

Even if you just search out you own custom tailor BEWARE. They run the same scam. After they agree on what you want, and have your deposit, all bets are off. You will get what they make, even if it's not what you ordered or does fit well. So lose your deposit or accept sub par custom clothing, your choice. Ok, I'm sure there must be good, or even great tailors in Thailand but after several trips there I abandoned the idea and I had local connections.

Comment

As soon as a few pros started using praram cues the prices really rocketed up. They're comparable to parris for the higher end cues when you consider import duty etc.

Comment

Working...
              X