***Wanted - Cue Ferrule Fitting Machine***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by paul_b View Post

I'm only joking with you. There doesn't seem to be any second-hand ones available at the moment.

Andrew from ADR has kindly offered to order a brand new one. I'm just waiting for the owner/manager of the local snooker club to make a decision.

I certainly don't fancy the idea of using a pipe cutter and Stanley knife. That might be a good option for a very rare on-off, but I've got quite a few to do. I have had experience of using a machine and it make the job fast and easy.
    I used the one by tweeten, and it worked fine for maple cues, but it tore out a large chunk of my ash cue and completely ruined it. This machine was made in the U.S. where everyone uses maple cues. The ash grain got caught by the blade and ripped out a piece about the size of an old fashioned 3 inch triangle shaped nail. Anyone else ever tried this machine on ash?
    Last edited by kramer8; 4 August 2021, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by kramer8 View Post

I used the one by tweeten, and it worked fine for maple cues, but it tore out a large chunk of my ash cue and completely ruined it. This machine was made in the U.S. where everyone uses maple cues. The ash grain got caught by the blade and ripped out a piece about the size of an old fashioned 3 inch triangle shaped nail. Anyone else ever tried this machine on ash?
      I have one of them and it sounds like the blade needs sharpening as I had to do that with mean and it cuts no problem.
      With no breakout from any timber I've used it on.
      Friend has one that has the replacement blades but mine has ones you can sharpen and will be making a blade for my friend.
      Get the blade as sharp as you can.

Hope this helps.
      For that one you've always wanted...
      https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Originally Posted by kramer8 View Post

There's still a few of the current cue makers I've seen using them and they occasionally come to me for spares.

They are fiddly to reset and the blades have to be shar0p and positioned well; if you take the blades off without marking where they are it can take a few hours to get it right so you don't have tear out.

I did a video for a guy showing how difficult they can be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4iXoz1_Kfo&t=129s
        Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

I might have a tweetens cutter for sale in the next few weeks, i have just ordered a cue lathe so depending on how I get on with that the cutter could be obsolete.
          http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
            I might have a tweetens cutter for sale in the next few weeks, i have just ordered a cue lathe so depending on how I get on with that the cutter could be obsolete.
            Hi Mellow

Which lathe did you go for?

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post

Hi Mellow

Which lathe did you go for?
              Hi mate, I've ordered one of the woods ones. See how it goes, I've used one briefly before, so bitten the bullet and got one of my own.

Comment

Hi mate, I've ordered one of the woods ones. See how it goes, I've used one briefly before, so bitten the bullet and got one of my own.
                Ah ok, not a bad price. Make sure the cue tip end is perfectly adjusted to central so you don't too much of one side. Always worth a mention. You'll enjoy playing with it.

Comment

Ah ok, not a bad price. Make sure the cue tip end is perfectly adjusted to central so you don't too much of one side. Always worth a mention. You'll enjoy playing with it.
                  cheers mate, yeah i'm looking forward to it!

I have 4 cues in this week for new ferrule, retaper, grain fill etc so hopefully it will speed up a few jobs in the future!

Comment

cheers mate, yeah i'm looking forward to it!

I have 4 cues in this week for new ferrule, retaper, grain fill etc so hopefully it will speed up a few jobs in the future!
                    Lol. I should have sent you some of my grain filler to try!!

Comment

Lol. I should have sent you some of my grain filler to try!!
                      ah shame, id definitely have tried it out for you.

Comment

ah shame, id definitely have tried it out for you.
                        I'll see how I get on with the feedback from the last batch. If I need any more info I'll contact you ta.

Comment

Working...
                        X