David bowen cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David bowen cues

Has anyone got / seen / played with one of these cues? Never heard of them before

The cues look okay in picture. It's up to you really but there are alot of makers out there now who are charging silly money whilst being relatively unknown or not serving their time and tbh I put them in that category.

Most of the top makers were relatively cheaper to begin with and are now pricey but in this day and age some Tom dick Harry will get started and charge top buck.

Comment

I've had some dialogue with David, he doesn't seem to be the usual FB cuemaker churning out dozens per Month, attention to detail looks spot-on and you can tell he's taken pride in his work- His website is quite informative and shows off his work- In all honesty I think he has priced his cues a little on the high side especially being new to the scene, only time will tell....... I know he's started making high end cases also.

Comment

I agree Rob , lovely looking cues but a little over priced .

When you compare with the establishment , i can purchase a Trevor White or Robert Osborne for cheaper .

Would be interested to hear how they play also .
        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

David bowen cues

Yes agree, entirely. Also, Interested to hear how they play!

Comment

He has made stunning cues which I have seen on facebook, his website is very professional and just going by pictures the quality of wood he uses looks very good. He seems to have a quality over quantity attitude but I've never seen his work in real life so can't comment too much. Some people still think if you're not charging a premium price it's because it's not a premium product and you get what you pay for, so he's maybe just not selling himself short. Would be interested to hear how well his cues play. I suppose the size of his order book will tell him if his prices are right.

Comment

I placed an order with him and he stated 9 months which was re-assuring- Couple of mates ordered cues from a prolific (facebook) Cue maker and were literally ready within 10 days- Workmanship Splicing etc.. were awful, shafts very very stiff, even if you like a stiff shaft (oh err missus) these were unusable, they weren't particularly cheap either.

I think David is on the right track, once he gets a bit of a following his cues will become very popular. Just difficult at the moment as it seems every man and their dog are making cues.
              Last edited by Rob153; 22 May 2018, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
                The cues look okay in picture. It's up to you really but there are alot of makers out there now who are charging silly money whilst being relatively unknown or not serving their time and tbh I put them in that category.

Most of the top makers were relatively cheaper to begin with and are now pricey but in this day and age some Tom dick Harry will get started and charge top buck.
                100% agree with you. There was a time I'd known or heard of pretty much everyone in the cue making business but now they are popping up all over the place, to be honest its a little off putting.

With so much choice and so many buying in shafts or part made cues and badging them up and selling them its hard to know who's genuine. Also even if someone does take a lot of pride in their work and uses exhibition grade exotics, it doesn't mean to say they have the knowledge of selecting the right shaft for playability.
                With some of these cue makers charging as much as established guys who've been around and served their apprenticeship so to speak, who would take a risk, knowing the resale value is going to be less than half what you've paid.

Comment

Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
                  ......Couple of mates ordered cues from a prolific (facebook) Cue maker and were literally ready within 10 days- Workmanship Splicing etc.. were awful, shafts very very stiff .....
                  Who was that then ?

Comment

there are so many 'cue makers' on FB especially who buy Grand cues etc, stick a custom badge on them give them a lick of linseed and claim them to be 'finest hand made cues'.

I'd wager most folk wouldn't know these boys are buying them from Ali Express or Alibaba for 30 quid or less and banging em out for 120+. Its, imho, nothing short of fraud.
                    #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Don’t really want to plaster
                      His name on here- let’s just say he posts a hell of a lot of new cues on FB must have an ‘XL’ collection.....

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                      Who was that then ?

Comment

Agree with what's been said, and another key point mentioned already but only briefly is the re-sale. Nothing worse then buying a cue, which may in fact be well made and good quality, but finding out you just don't get on with it and given he's a relatively unknown cue maker, you'd be lucky to get even 50% of what you spent back.

Comment

Isn't this kinda the point about buying without trying?

Comment

To buy and sell at a loss if you can't get on with it? - not for me anyway. You could buy a John Parris or Trevor White and if you needed to sell it for whatever reason, you could expect to get a similar price back. But with an unknow quantity, you're very unlikely to get anything near it back. Partly, I suspect, because if someone is selling it then the market would assume it's not very good and hence the reason for selling.

I certainly don't buy to lose half my money!

Comment

Buying and selling can work both ways though, you win some you lose some. Lots of people must have made tidy profits buying early TW's and Wooldridges. It's a risk buying from an unknown maker especially at a relatively high price, but if they do make a name for themselves their prices only go one way. Several times I've nearly bit the bullet and ordered a cue from Mike, but when I do the prices seem to have gone up, his basic legend plain ebony cue, 3/4 maple shaft with round butt and joint including delivery is now £875, 1 piece ash with round butt and joint is £750. Trevor's prices will always remain high simply to avoid the long waiting list and the difficulty in getting a new cue to your specs from him.

Comment

Working...
                              X