Which is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is better?

I went to a cue shop today looking for information. I was told that Britannia cues are a pile of junk and not worth the money. The use the bloke showed me looked good, but he said there was shrinkage? I mentioned another brand of cue (cue craft) and he said they weren’t a good brand.

Can I get some advice as a novice cue buyer

There's such an enormous choice these days it's difficult to know where to start. What kind of budget do you have? Are you a fairly experienced player or complete novice? I ask that because if you know this is something for you then you may want to spend a little more. If you're really just testing the game then you'll probably want to start out with something relatively cheap or even use the hall cues until you begin to understand which weight and weight distribution you prefer, tip size, butt diameter etc.. A cue is such a personal tool that you'll want to have some idea of what you're after yourself so you know what to look for. Alternatively, if you live close to a seller/maker that has a table so you can try the various cues and get advice right there, then that will be an obvious advantage for you.

Also, your forum name suggests you're after a pool cue, as opposed to snooker? 8 ball English or American?
    Last edited by WIGHTDIAMOND; 3 January 2019, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Yeah the amount of choice is confusing. I play nglish 8 ball pool in a league and looking to upgrade the current cue I am using. Budget is probably somewhere around the £100 mark, maybe a little more if it is the right cue for me. I know roughly what weight I’m looking for too (18.5 oz) but as for the cues themselves I’m lost.

Comment

Originally Posted by Poolrookie View Post
        Yeah the amount of choice is confusing. I play nglish 8 ball pool in a league and looking to upgrade the current cue I am using. Budget is probably somewhere around the £100 mark, maybe a little more if it is the right cue for me. I know roughly what weight I’m looking for too (18.5 oz) but as for the cues themselves I’m lost.
        If you've looked at ADR147 cues on eBay and like them, I have one for sale on there in your price range.
        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
          If you've looked at ADR147 cues on eBay and like them, I have one for sale on there in your price range.
          I have but I though they were all 1pc cues? I could be mistaken. I was leaning towards 3/4 cut.

Comment

Found a company called Tiger Cues. They look like a decent cue for a low price. Are they English made and does anyone have any experience with them?

Comment

I have but I though they were all 1pc cues? I could be mistaken. I was leaning towards 3/4 cut.
              My one is 3/4 wood to wood airlock joint. 9.5 tip, 57 inch long , 18:25 weight.

Take a look.
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113504528209
              Last edited by Cue crafty; 3 January 2019, 11:40 AM.
              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

My one is 3/4 wood to wood airlock joint. 9.5 tip, 57 inch long , 18:25 weight.

Take a look.
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113504528209
                That is a very nice cue. Would you reckon I could get away with putting a 9mm tip on instead of 9.5?

Comment

That is a very nice cue. Would you reckon I could get away with putting a 9mm tip on instead of 9.5?
                  Never tried, doesnt sound much 0.5mm, but it wouldnt be nice to have ferrule edge showing would it. If you want 9mm, for pool it may be best to stick to that as its still makes a difference.

I looked at Tiger cues once, nice looking cues - Thai made I believe. I dont play much pool TBH so maybe not best to advise.
                  ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Never tried, doesnt sound much 0.5mm, but it wouldnt be nice to have ferrule edge showing would it. If you want 9mm, for pool it may be best to stick to that as its still makes a difference.

I looked at Tiger cues once, nice looking cues - Thai made I believe. I dont play much pool TBH so maybe not best to advise.
                    I currently have a 9.5mm till on my current cue, though I'm not able to generate much spin. I've been told a smaller tip may potentially help this, though I've also been told it could be the weight of the cue

Comment

Perfect. In that case (if you don't go for the ADR147 above) then call Charlie at Cue & Case and ask him for the English Pool version of this cue:

https://www.cueandcase.co.uk/taylor-...e-and-mini-ext

These are top made cues and I play with the one in the link myself. Cue and Case stock a version of that cue specifically made for English 8 Ball with a small tip size of around 8.3-8.5mm if I remember right. Ask Charlie to go weigh the cues and find the one closest to your weight pref. I asked for 19.2 and the cue he found me was exactly 19.2. These are made from good grade ash, are well built and finished and play beautifully.

Oh and they're currently on sale at 10% off the usual £115 price, so £103 all in.

Comment

I play pool with a cheapish Master Cue with 9mm tip. Was advertised as a snooker cue, but pool specific cues often have slightly smaller tips still which I didn't want. Think it was around £140-150. The Probutt and Millennium ranges are both around this price, and Greenbaize.com probably stock them cheapest (other than ebay/private sellers). I think in terms of quality for the price, they are hard to beat

Comment

I currently have a 9.5mm till on my current cue, though I'm not able to generate much spin. I've been told a smaller tip may potentially help this, though I've also been told it could be the weight of the cue
                          not exactly true, a smaller tip MAY help produce more spin but WILL cause you issues with unwanted side - what WILL produce more spin (screw back I assume) is cue delivery technique - a friend plays at county level and he uses 9.5mm tip/ferrule and he produces huge screw when wanted
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                            not exactly true, a smaller tip MAY help produce more spin but WILL cause you issues with unwanted side - what WILL produce more spin (screw back I assume) is cue delivery technique - a friend plays at county level and he uses 9.5mm tip/ferrule and he produces huge screw when wanted
                            Spot on. I play a lot of pool with mine and could screw the white into the car park with a 10mm tip. I've now reduced my tip to just over 9mm which for me is about right for those flimsy English pool balls and still good for snooker.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                              Would a lighter cue play any impact in this? Or is it all about how the ball is being struck?

Comment

Working...
                              X