Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue purchase advice - under £100

Hi All

Looking to buy my first decentish cue. I'm currently using an old John Parrott Powerglide cue that I found on Facebook marketplace, it's fairly decent and feels nice but is too light for me (I think around 17oz) and is starting to have cracks around the splices.

I've been looking at Britannia, Peradon Cannon and Powerglide cues. I'm not sure what to go for as they all seem quite similar. I'm wondering if you good people can help. Recommendations, what to avoid, etc.

Preferences are:
    • Not Laquered if possible, I appreciate this might be hard at this price point
    • 18-18.5oz
    • Design isn't crazy important
    • 9mm-10mm

I've come into some Amazon vouchers so strictly amazon only.

Here are some examples that I have found so far:

Powerglide "Professional Range" - Maestro, Vision, etc.
    Britannia Champion Range (Hawk, etc)
    Peradon Cannon Range - £65+ (Spark, Magic, etc)

Try Greenbeize Cues website. Starter pack, cue case mini-butt, for £75 worth considering. If you phoned Stu at Greenbeize with your requirements he'd help you find something. Ideally if you could pop into the shop you could "try before you buy". Located North-East England.

Comment

Apologies, just seen your "Amazon only" comment. Wasn't able to edit my post.

Comment

No worries, good to know though. I could ask him if he has an Amazon shop.

Comment

I've got a nice J6 one piece plain ebony butt / Maple shaft that you can have for £95 + postage.
          PM if interested
          "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
          National Snooker Expo
          25-27 October 2019
          http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

check Grand cues, I believe they're sold on Amazon.

Comment

I was just taking a look at them... but as with anyone I'm conflicted due to them being from China but people seem to think they are fine.

Interestingly "Taylor Made" cues look IDENTICAL to Grand Cues but have very good reviews. Do you know if they are just rebadged?

Comment

Taylor Made do have a range of imported cues, I wouldn't be surprised if they're the same cues. There are a number of cue sellers around who re-badge Grand cues with their own name.

For the price the one's I've seen are brilliant. They do tend to come with a light lacquer coating but they do finish up well once removed.

Comment

Originally Posted by JasonG13 View Post
                  Hi All

Looking to buy my first decentish cue. I'm currently using an old John Parrott Powerglide cue that I found on Facebook marketplace, it's fairly decent and feels nice but is too light for me (I think around 17oz) and is starting to have cracks around the splices.

I've been looking at Britannia, Peradon Cannon and Powerglide cues. I'm not sure what to go for as they all seem quite similar. I'm wondering if you good people can help. Recommendations, what to avoid, etc.

Preferences are:
                  • Not Laquered if possible, I appreciate this might be hard at this price point
                  • 18-18.5oz
                  • Design isn't crazy important
                  • 9mm-10mm

I've come into some Amazon vouchers so strictly amazon only.

Here are some examples that I have found so far:

Powerglide "Professional Range" - Maestro, Vision, etc.
                  Britannia Champion Range (Hawk, etc)
                  Peradon Cannon Range - £65+ (Spark, Magic, etc)
                  If it's a hand spliced butt, there is a chance what you think are splits on the butt are just the slices moving a little..
                  They can look a little like splits if your not sure what to look for.
                  Have told the same thing to a few friends.
                  If you don't like it, a light sanding and oiling would sort it out.
                  For that one you've always wanted...
                  https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

My grand emperor was 75 delivered from eBay. They do sell on amazon, amazing cues for the money. Did have to refinish shaft but can’t go wrong at those prices......

Comment

Comments abound regarding most cues manufactured in China being as good as others. I'm not disagreeing but I've never seen a description of why they are poorer quality.

Comment

Originally Posted by jprender View Post
                        Comments abound regarding most cues manufactured in China being as good as others. I'm not disagreeing but I've never seen a description of why they are poorer quality.
                        you're not convinced that they are as good as cues from elsewhere or you're not convinced why it should be assumed they are worse? sorry I don't quite follow.

Comment

Perhaps I should have elaborated. I have no problem buying things from China, but....

It's more down to the fact that reviews can be far and few between or very mixed when it comes to Chineese made cues. For Grand and other similar cues, possibly rebadged or from the same supplier, I see comments on threads saying that they are "cheap chineese crap", "a lottery", "fantastic", "great value for money" so it naturally steers me (and other people) away and creates massive amounts of uncertainty.

Comment

I've got a number of grand (and grand emperor) cues. Mostly they were not finished well on receipt, but came up a treat with a bit of sanding and oiling.

All nice cues, all play slightly differently. Not necessarily better or worse, but all slightly different. All different grains.

For me the big issue with buying one cue sight unseen is that you might not necessarily find that you get on best with it.

I solved that by buying a few and choosing the one I preferred, then putting the others in the rack. This is not practical for most people.

Comment

If you like I can get you a well made thai cue for that price. Possible delivered for 120 pounds to the UK. to your specs.

Comment

Working...
                              X