flying abroad with your cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flying abroad with your cue

I'm currently living in Japan and looking to buy a custom cue. Amongst the many factors now swimming around in my head regarding options- in particular the choice of 1pce 3/4 or 2 piece - is the issue of cue safety when travelling overseas.

When people fly what arrangements are made for their 3/4 or 1 piece? Do you have to pay extra to the airline, how safe is the cue ..etc?

Occasionally I'll want to bring the cue with me when I visit home in Australia, and right now I'm thinking of getting a 2pce as they can go inside a suitcase.

Which brings me to my second question,

How good are 2 pc cues? No doubt 3/4 and 1 pce cues are more popular amongst serious players, and my natural preference is for a 1pce but are there any serious players out there sporting a solid 2pc snooker cue?
    Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

hi, this is my first "real" post here so i hope i can be of help, regarding flying all i know is that since september 11th they CANNOT be used as hand luggage, and the reputation of most baggage handlers is never really a glowing report. i found this link, i dont know if it is any use to you:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3419435.stm
    if thats the treatment the pros get what might you recieve? although, with the amount of flights that pros make, and the amount of pros there are, 3 cases of damages is fairly low.

Also, i know you didnt really ask, you may be interested to know (since you mentioned travel) that a 3/4 cue case fits in the boot of my car whereas a one piece will not, although my car isnt exactly huge, and im guessing you would take a taxi to the airport.

As for costing i have no idea, you could go on ebay and look at the postage costs for a cue from the UK to be posted to Japan for a rough "guesstimate".

hope i helped.

Comment

if i was you travelling to and throw i would get a 2 piece cue and a very well made aliuminium case try craftsman cues they do a very strong 2 piece case i have owned 1 myself and because they are smaller they will be alot harder to bend. as for the cue a well made 2 piece cue is just as good as any other kind of cue as long as its well made.

Comment

you need a strong case. the rest does not matter.
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

I've seen Patrick Wallace travelling with his cue and it was well packaged. Cardboard tube about 5'' wide and his cue & case inside it.

Comment

Put the cue in a standard cue case then place the whole lot inside a ski case.

They are lightweight, strong and durable and not too expensive.

Lots and lots of pro's use these to take cues about.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
              Put the cue in a standard cue case then place the whole lot inside a ski case.
              and put the ski case in a box
              then the box in a bigger box
              and the bigger box in a huge box

Comment

This is what I and alot of the pro's use when flying!
                I've had mine for about 7-8 years and its still ok. A bit battered about but still does the job!

http://www.snowandrock.com/Activity/...ki+SPT0001.htm

Hope this is some help.

Comment

Thanks for the useful info! I probably will go for the 2pc afterall, as I also face a 2hr train ride getting to the airport If not for that I'd go for a 3/4 or 1pc and use the ski case, as Trevor and Ballrun described.
                  Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

i use a leather case,is there any way how i can check inn the cue witout them having to put those stickers on it.
                    RIP NOEL, A TRUE TSF LEGEND.

Comment

and is a ski case big enough to accomodate a one pc cue case?

Comment

hey Khizzy,
                        The link to the ski case that Ballrun inserted in his post, lists the size of the case. Check the size mentioned against your one piece case.

What's wrong with stickers on your cue from travelling? It adds a bit of character to your kit. Mines almost covered...forget what it looked like before!

Comment

the glue of the stickers doesnt get off from the leather on the case,makes it look dirty,they look good on aluminium cases though.

Comment

True point!!

Comment

Originally Posted by khizzy View Post
                              and is a ski case big enough to accomodate a one pc cue case?
                              Hi Khiz,

I think that case is extendable to pretty much any size you want. So, should be no probs for your leather case. You should try and see if there are any dealers close(ish) to you, I think it's well worth it.

Keith
                              Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Working...
                              X