Maximus Cues Oil Finishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximus Cues Oil Finishing

Just received my Maximus Ultimate last week. Plays brilliantly but just a question I have on the oil finishing.

It'll appear that the bottom 3rd part of the cue has a thicker oil finish as compared to the 2/3 top. Can barely feel like the 2/3 top had any oil finishing at all as compared to my other cues.

Can I just apply more oil onto said 2/3 top or would I be better off oiling the entire cue?

FB_IMG_1562307754587.jpg

No reason why not.

Lots of people just oil just above the fingers as they don't want to mess with the butt; you may or may not see a difference between where you start and the bottom 1/3 but put the coats on thinly and you can see as you go.

I normally put about 4 to 5 coats of oil on and cut the shaft back a little so it's smooth for cueing and then burnish the life out of it but there are many different ways.

Some give the shaft just 1 or 2 coats and then either give the butt more or actually put a different mixture on the butt, whatever takes your fancy and depends what feel you want on the cue.
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
      No reason why not.

Lots of people just oil just above the fingers as they don't want to mess with the butt; you may or may not see a difference between where you start and the bottom 1/3 but put the coats on thinly and you can see as you go.

I normally put about 4 to 5 coats of oil on and cut the shaft back a little so it's smooth for cueing and then burnish the life out of it but there are many different ways.

Some give the shaft just 1 or 2 coats and then either give the butt more or actually put a different mixture on the butt, whatever takes your fancy and depends what feel you want on the cue.
      Thanks mate, saw a few of your videos including the one re finishing! Will give this a go.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bulkie View Post

Thanks mate, saw a few of your videos including the one re finishing! Will give this a go.
        Thanks

I haven't done any in depth videos on finishing. There's a reasonable explanation in words here: Click Here

Comment

i felt the same way with my legend plus, any recommendation on the oil to use ?

Comment

Was hanging my cue using tape to a laundry rail and it dropped making a tiny dent. Please be cautious where you put the cue whilst in the oiling process.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bulkie View Post
              Was hanging my cue using tape to a laundry rail and it dropped making a tiny dent. Please be cautious where you put the cue whilst in the oiling process.
              I have a rail nowadays where I can put around 15 cues at a time but before this I would:

Tape the ferrules with masking tape and spiral it upwards an inch or two so I could lean it against a wall.

I used to put either a small pencil or a large golf driver tee in the butt joint.

I'd put the golf tee on a carpet and the tape on the ferule leaning against a door frame architrave so it couldn't go anywhere.

Comment

I've never seen a new or newly finished Maximus cue but often cue makers will finish the shaft differently to the butt with a combinations of oils/waxes which may well be the case here. additional oil on the shaft done properly won't harm it at all

Comment

Working...
                X