Butt timber colouring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butt timber colouring

So my new Paduak and Ebony Mac cue is nearly ready. I'm itching to get my hands on it. I was planning on having a pool cue done in alternate splicing. So Ebony over Paduak instead of Paduak over Ebony.

However I'm now thinking of a yellow or orange butt timber. However I'm at a loss at this point. Is it possible to have a timber dyed and still use it for a cue. Something like flame maple dyed yellow or orange sounds like it could work

done see why not, they dye maple and sycamore for veneers so why not a splice block?

pictures tells a thousand words
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
      done see why not, they dye maple and sycamore for veneers so why not a splice block?

pictures tells a thousand words

I'll send Mac a message see what magic he can work

Comment

is that a laminated shaft? Richard does them well I believe

Yellow wood -have you look at Karelian/Massur birch
        I have this on my snooker and as my pool-cue mini butt (see avatar)
        goes to a lovely golden yellow
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

It sure is. I've had plenty of Ash cues, it was time for a change. I'll be sure to check that timber now. I've tried searching for timbers used for cue making. I did find a website once but I can't find it now. It had all the popular timbers used and a few I'd not heard of

Comment

Pau Amerillo/yellow heart is a yellow wood used in guitars. Otherwise maple can be dyed. You can get colourwood/dymondwood which is made up of thin laminated veneers in lots of colours which gives a striped effect. Colourwood is usually maple, dymondwood is birch I think impregnated with resin.

Comment

Working...
            X