Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone tried resins / plastics on a cue butt?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone tried resins / plastics on a cue butt?

    I'm always trying different types of coating on cues and wondered if anyone else has had any decent results.
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

  • #2
    Hello bud, hows things going business wise and in general?

    I used MW liquid gold a wee while back and it gives an almost plastic resin finish to a butt. Not to my liking so removed it but i guess some like that type of finish.
    No cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

    Comment


    • #3
      Hello Crafty

      Not bad mate, thought I'd take a look in and see how the forum was going.

      Business good, growing slowly which is nice, learning about Twitter and Instagram the last couple of days so that's a new one on me.

      I guess it depends how much of Mike's liquid Gold you put on the cue, I like it for the shafts but only put a few drops on and cut it back with 0000 steel wool each time.

      I'm probably going to try a resin dip just for the hell of it. Get a waste pipe and fill it and then pop the but in there and see what it's like after sanding. I'm just looking for ways to improve the feeling, easy to clean and gives a deep shine.

      All good fun.
      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

      Comment


      • #4
        Thats good to hear mate. Yes, its always fun pottering around with cues!

        Its been extremely quiet on here lately even taking into account the time of year, I have kept an eye on things on the forum more recently hoping the post count might pick up a bit now we are into the season. There are still issues and Neil and Dean are doing their best to make changes and get the forum back on track but its not an easy task and will take some time.

        Last edited by Cue crafty; 9th October 2019, 02:44 PM.
        No cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Cue crafty View Post
          Thats good to hear mate. Yes, its always fun pottering around with cues!

          Its been extremely quiet on here lately even taking into account the time of year, I have kept an eye on things on the forum more recently hoping the post count might pick up a bit now we are into the season. There are still issues and Neil and Dean are doing their best to make changes and get the forum back on track but its not an easy task and will take some time.
          Yeah I'm the same really, I've been looking in from time to time and will certainly make a bigger effort when the site is 100% again.
          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi Mark, i've used the sadolin 2 pack varnish below with good results its fully cured and able to be buffed / polished in 24 hours, some may prefer the gloss finish though
            https://www.sadolin.co.uk/products/s...-duty-varnish/
            Must practice more!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bell308 View Post
              Hi Mark, i've used the sadolin 2 pack varnish below with good results its fully cured and able to be buffed / polished in 24 hours, some may prefer the gloss finish though
              https://www.sadolin.co.uk/products/s...-duty-varnish/
              Hi Bell

              When dry is it smooth in the hand or a little screechy like the floor of a gym?

              I've tried a few laminate floor mixes but are generally a bit sticky and difficult to move the hand over.
              Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
              Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
              Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

              Comment


              • #8
                Hi Mark,
                its very smooth in the hand its effectively a 2 pack acid catalysed clear coat, very similar in feel to car clear coat.
                hope that helps, its also about ?27.0 per litre from a Dulux decorating centre but can be mixed 1 to 10 by volume for small batch work, I think 100ml did two rack cues for our club. as this was left over from refinishing the bar and tables in the bar.
                also after about 3 hours what ever you have mixed will be a solid clear block....
                Last edited by Bell308; Today, 09:25 AM.
                Must practice more!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bell308 View Post
                  Hi Mark,
                  its very smooth in the hand its effectively a 2 pack acid catalysed clear coat, very similar in feel to car clear coat.
                  hope that helps, its also about ?27.0 per litre from a Dulux decorating centre but can be mixed 1 to 10 by volume for small batch work, I think 100ml did two rack cues for our club. as this was left over from refinishing the bar and tables in the bar.
                  also after about 3 hours what ever you have mixed will be a solid clear block....
                  I always like to try different finished for different types of cues/woods etc and also something that slips nice for a break cue so will give it a go and compare. It doesn't always have to work, just enjoy the journey!!
                  Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                  Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                  Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hi Mark
                    Good luck with the trial, please note I've not used on the sharp end of a cue just for refinishing butts etc. so I don't know how it will handle being used on a break cue. I do know that after two months of club use know one has complained yet..
                    Must practice more!!!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X