Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone tried resins / plastics on a cue butt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not read all the thread Marc, but yes I went down the plastic route, using different kinds of chemical mixes and hardeners for higher build.
    I went for polyurethane in the end.
    Hope all’s well your end.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
      Not read all the thread Marc, but yes I went down the plastic route, using different kinds of chemical mixes and hardeners for higher build.
      I went for polyurethane in the end.
      Hope all’s well your end.
      It's been a while since I posted but I tried many and ended up with a ploy mix that dries really quickly so a certain amount of skill required to do it well.

I then mix waxes and oil for the top surface / shine and buff to death after it has hardened which is also reasonably quick now I have a decent mix with the right amount of hardener.

I've been playing with various oils for probably for approaching 40 years now but only really seriously the last 3 or 4 as regards mixing many constituents but finally think I'm there!
      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Bell308 View Post
        Hi Mark,

if your polishing in a lathe this is well worth a go, I also use grain fillers on ebony and Macassar to avoid the pores showing through etc.

https://www.yandles.co.uk/hampshire-...oy-safe/p20777

hope the cases come out well.

Mark
        I don't generally use the lathe to polish as although harder, I prefer the feel of it by hand.

As regards waxes and oils, I normally mix my own and have a few formula's that are close to being solely wax, predominantly oil, oil / wax, and even one with castor oil in it as a cleaner / shiner.

Many times I have been close to selling them as the guy in your link (he lives close to me) as they all do a decent job and I enjoy brewing them up!

I've also made leather conditioner's that I normally use on golf shoes and some water repellent, also for the wet weather at golf. The shoes used to be caked in mud and water on some bad rounds so it was always nice when I could just wipe it all off at the end of a round; it's almost like a Vaseline coating. I hated going to play after a break and the shoes were hard, the conditioner sinks into the leather and keeps them supple.

The have a decent amount of knowledge on the cue waxes and oils but my efforts are generally put into finding natural products that will do the job. If you don't go that way then just buy a cue oil with lots of driers in it silicones to make it feel smooth.

Obviously the butt poly isn't natural but I like to experiment as people tend to want different things if you refinish a cue.

Grain fillers are my latest project. Although I have a few decent mixes, again, it's the quest for decent natural ones that I enjoy. Trying to find natural replacements like hardeners or the right waxes that will provide shine without cracking and dry at the rate or an oil grain filler with the right mix or other messy types like pumice and ink, yuk!

All good fun.
        Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Working...
        X