Parris cues refinish process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parris cues refinish process

Anyone any idea why when you send a cue to them for a refinish if the butt is ebony it generally comes back with white streaks throughout the ebony? I've had cues refinished by MIke, Trevor, Parris and the latter is the only one that comes back with this issue. No longer have the cue in the picture but it is a bit annoying to say the least, it's like whatever they are using on the butt is finding its way into the grain and solidifying to create this issue.

looks like he's using a mix of waxes and a drop of linseed oil applied to a polishing mop, this is a fast way of finishing but leaves the result you have.
    Must practice more!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Bell308 View Post
      looks like he's using a mix of waxes and a drop of linseed oil applied to a polishing mop, this is a fast way of finishing but leaves the result you have.
      Annoying really, the way they finish the cues is fine, but it's when you get a refinish done this occurs. Suppose in time it might dissolve but it can be very eye catching when using a rest.

Comment

using this thread to post a new update on JP cues i've recently witnessed. Two guys i play with who have recently received their new JP cues ( both had old ones they had outgrown as young lads in terms of growth) Both cues had a poor finish, almost like they hadn't actually been finished TBH. I could feel raised grain on the ash, a disturbingly light colour to the ash also that looked as if it hadn't been oiled/finished properly at all.

Anyway these guys were pretty gutted, one had waited 3 years for his cue.... No throwing toys out the pram from these guys though, who showed their class by simply writing to Parris cues and stating they were slightly disappointed etc and requesting some changes to "perfect" the cues. No replies as yet to these requests..

You have to wonder if JP is getting ready to retire and live on "Paradise Island" with this kind of service and quality.

Any other members seeing this?
        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

There is a lot of Parris cues on sale on ebay and they look like recent ones and not very old cues. That might be saying something. Parris Cues is a big name and with it comes big orders. They have about half a dozen staffs, maybe more. The high cost would be because customers has to pay for brick and mortar overcost. Yes many pros use his cue and I put that entirely down to John Parris being the exceptional businessman who attend many major snooker tournaments and forged lifelong relationship with top players gathering a database of specs of the pro's cues in case they needed cue service or replacement and these pros don't have to waite for years but will get a replacement within a few weeks because they needed their cue to earn a living. That is good business. Naturally people will say Parris cues is the best but that is down to service to pros were he is indisputedly the best. However when it comes to who produce the finest cue consistently and you have the cash to pay for an expensive one that plays very well would you really be after a Parris cue?
          Last edited by Crucible; 20 December 2022, 10:01 AM.

Comment

personally you can't beat Dave Coutt's finish. Think its a trade secret but always comes back smooth and like glass. Some others i've tried haven't seemed as smooth.
            Robin Cook is very good as well by the way.
            Last edited by mattyshinobi22; 22 December 2022, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by mattyshinobi22 View Post
              personally you can't beat Dave Coutt's finish. Think its a trade secret but always comes back smooth and like glass. Some others i've tried haven't seemed as smooth.
              Robin Cook is very good as well by the way.
              I thought Robin had retired from making and working with cues?
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

I thought Robin had retired from making and working with cues?
                hi Dean hope you're well

apparently his cues mainly go to Asia, like Mr Osborne.

But he is still doing alterations for UK customers.

Stu Green made me aware as i thought he had retired too.

Comment

Originally Posted by mattyshinobi22 View Post

hi Dean hope you're well

apparently his cues mainly go to Asia, like Mr Osborne.

But he is still doing alterations for UK customers.

Stu Green made me aware as i thought he had retired too.
                  Yep, all good here, thanks; just waiting for the invasion from the out-laws!
                  Asia - yep he has that contract(s) with retailers out East and also that partnership with Coutts but I thought that was a final "fling" before retiring

Good to know he is still around
                  Thanks for the news.

Comment

Yep, all good here, thanks; just waiting for the invasion from the out-laws!
                    Asia - yep he has that contract(s) with retailers out East and also that partnership with Coutts but I thought that was a final "fling" before retiring

Good to know he is still around
                    Thanks for the news.
                    hmm i know who the in-laws are but what does 'out-laws' mean Dean?

Comment

Originally Posted by Delphi View Post

Like Josey Wales except your related to them. ... 🤣. English saying.
                      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Delphi View Post

"SAME" !!!!

Comment

"SAME" !!!!
                          only difference between inlaws and outlaws is Outlaws are wanted !

Comment

Working...
                          X