Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cue advice needed please

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • cue advice needed please

    Hi all, I have been playing with my ADR 147 1 peice cue for just about 12 months now and love the cue, i was playing with a friend last night and was not having a great night playing wise, missing to many shots and generally not feeling that comfortable with my game, then on one shot i needed to use my mini butt, (due to being a short ass), and boom it was for me a fantastic pot as the pink dissapeared into the pocket, for some reason playing the shot with the mini butt attached felt great, so my freind said why not just play with the mini butt left on, so for the next 3 frames i did just that and what a difference, it felt like i had a magic wand in my hands, pots were going in my saftey shots wher pretty good, the only down side was the cue, it was miles too long, the weight and balance felt fantastic, just the cue was now 64 inches long and i am only 5 foot 6 inches lol. It also felt easier to use, i could get more action on the CB without having to hit it to hard (which i tend to do) it just felt so much easier.

    So here is my question for all you cue gurus out there, playing with the mini butt added makes the cue weigh 22.5 oz, (very heavy i beleive for a cue) as opposed to 17.5oz without, so do people think that a heavier cue may help me, I know that when i play darts using a lighter dart i tend to try and throw them to hard, as opposed to using a heavier dart and letting the weight of the dart do the work, does the same principal apply to snooker?, I am now so confused lol.
    cheers Carpy
    Last edited by Carpy2009; 13th February 2020, 10:38 AM.

  • #2
    The best advice anyone should give here, is to just say get yourself down to a cue store that has a table and try a few slightly longer heavier cues to what you currently have.
    No cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks Cue crafty, but therein lies the problem lol, nowhere close to me to try, nearest shop is 10 miles away (cue sports yorkshire), other than that it is Craftsman cues in Leeds, 25 miles away, and as i dont drive getting to them is a slight problem lol.

      Comment


      • #4
        Promise a mate with a car a few beers later for a lift
        Up the TSF!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Carpy2009 View Post
          Hi all, I have been playing with my ADR 147 1 peice cue for just about 12 months now and love the cue, i was playing with a friend last night and was not having a great night playing wise, missing to many shots and generally not feeling that comfortable with my game, then on one shot i needed to use my mini butt, (due to being a short ass), and boom it was for me a fantastic pot as the pink dissapeared into the pocket, for some reason playing the shot with the mini butt attached felt great, so my freind said why not just play with the mini butt left on, so for the next 3 frames i did just that and what a difference, it felt like i had a magic wand in my hands, pots were going in my saftey shots wher pretty good, the only down side was the cue, it was miles too long, the weight and balance felt fantastic, just the cue was now 64 inches long and i am only 5 foot 6 inches lol. It also felt easier to use, i could get more action on the CB without having to hit it to hard (which i tend to do) it just felt so much easier.

          So here is my question for all you cue gurus out there, playing with the mini butt added makes the cue weigh 22.5 oz, (very heavy i beleive for a cue) as opposed to 17.5oz without, so do people think that a heavier cue may help me, I know that when i play darts using a lighter dart i tend to try and throw them to hard, as opposed to using a heavier dart and letting the weight of the dart do the work, does the same principal apply to snooker?, I am now so confused lol.
          cheers Carpy
          So was it the extra weight and shift of balance that felt good or did a longer bridge to cue ball give you a better view of the line of aim ?
          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by vmax View Post

            So was it the extra weight and shift of balance that felt good or did a longer bridge to cue ball give you a better view of the line of aim ?
            Hi vmax, played with a friends cue yesterday, (a Weichster cue, which is a chinese import i beleive) it is a heavy cue, the extra weight seems to help me not hit the cb ball so hard, or as i have been told, throwing my arm and shoulder at the shot, especially when i am trying to srew the cb back , i am still no good at delicate shots, but the weight appears to give me more control, so i may save up for a heavier cue and hope that this is all correct and not just in my head lol.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Carpy2009 View Post
              Thanks Cue crafty, but therein lies the problem lol, nowhere close to me to try, nearest shop is 10 miles away (cue sports yorkshire), other than that it is Craftsman cues in Leeds, 25 miles away, and as i dont drive getting to them is a slight problem lol.
              I wish Craftsman was only 25 miles from me! You can add another 200 for me to get there. Probably a good job it's that far! They would get sick of me, and I would get sick of being skint!
              Last edited by Eddie41085; 17th February 2020, 12:28 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Carpy2009 View Post
                Thanks Cue crafty, but therein lies the problem lol, nowhere close to me to try, nearest shop is 10 miles away (cue sports yorkshire), other than that it is Craftsman cues in Leeds, 25 miles away, and as i dont drive getting to them is a slight problem lol.
                I'm not sure if I want to cry or laugh upon reading this. Wouldn't really classify 10 miles as far.

                Residing in Perth, Western Australia, I have no access to any proper cue makers or snooker shops. Nearest one is in Sydney which is 4000 kilometres away.

                Hope you realise how lucky you are having

                Comment


                • #9
                  25 miles is nothing if there’s a good transport system, E.g., bus or train. Wouldn’t fancy walking there and back lol.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Cheers lads lol. I know it is not that far and getting to Leeds is easy, it is getting to Kippax from Leeds that is a bit harder, as i dont know the area, looking for info on the journey it appears to be 2x busses or 1x train then 1x bus and that is after i get transport to Leeds, which is about half way there. Anyway getting to the shop i can deal with somehow, all i originally wanted to know is, if it could be to my advantage to try a heavier cue, not a geography lesson, Plus public transport sucks lol, it costs me ?6 on the bus from my home to go into town and get a 50p block of chalk lol.
                    Last edited by Carpy2009; 19th February 2020, 05:13 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Are you a tinkerer Carpy? If I were you I would tinker with making a very small mini butt to lengthen the cue by an inch or so and add some lead tape to different parts of the shaft to see how that feels and try and gauge what suits you best.

                      A bit of cheap trial and error process will tell you yourself what works best rather than someone else on here.

                      ​​​​​​Your can do this on the cheap by using some electrical insulation tape to bind a small extension on. Use a bit of dowel cut down 1 1/2 inches for a small extension. Lead tape fairly cheap on eBay .

                      Write the measurements and weight down and just buy something online in your budget that nearest fits those specs . ,
                      No cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Cheers Cue Crafty, will try the lead tape, it is not the length (or i dont think it is), when i play with the mini butt fitted i am still holding my cue in the same place as i would do normally, and not gripping the mini butt, this leads me to believe it is the weight of the cue.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X