Cushion Bounce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cushion Bounce

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that if you roll the white ball down the length of a table as fast as you can, on a steel block table the ball with travel 5 1/2 times? Whereas a wood cushion will be 4 1/2?? I don’t know why, but this suddenly popped into my head this morning while I was in the snooker shed, so I gave it a try on my wood cushion table and I can actually get the ball to travel just over 5 lengths....

New rubbers ?
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

If I try that shot, the cue ball will jump off the table

Not good tables maintenance here.

Comment

Normally new rubbers are slower ,and can take up to 6 months to bed in

Comment

.Do you have the old cloth on at the moment Steve ? If I remember you were practicing putting it on and off a few times ,could be why the table is running a bit faster than normal

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
            New rubbers ?
            I’m assuming it’s a good thing?? Must have done a decent job fitting the new rubber, to get that reaction.! I only thought to try it because I’ve noticed I’m getting decent bounce from the new cushions, let’s hope it stays that way.

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post
              .Do you have the old cloth on at the moment Steve ? If I remember you were practicing putting it on and off a few times ,could be why the table is running a bit faster than normal
              Yes mikee still the old cloth, 2nd attempt at fitting was much better and tighter! Still no under table heating, not sure if that will make it even quicker?

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post
                Normally new rubbers are slower ,and can take up to 6 months to bed in
                I did fit them with a slight stretch as Geoff suggested in an old post, something about pre-loading the rubber. I wasn’t sure if 5X the length of the table is good or bad, assuming good bounce....

Comment

Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post

Yes mikee still the old cloth, 2nd attempt at fitting was much better and tighter! Still no under table heating, not sure if that will make it even quicker?
                  I don’t bother with under table heating now since I got this table ,table temp is around 23 and runs fine ,with a Constant room temp it’s not needed ,just keep the cloth well brushed and blocked ,balls. Nice and clean .

Comment

Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post

I did fit them with a slight stretch as Geoff suggested in an old post, something about pre-loading the rubber. I wasn’t sure if 5X the length of the table is good or bad, assuming good bounce....
                    As long as the bounce is even, and you don't have one springy cushion, it sounds like you've done a good job.

Comment

That is very good bounce. The cloth you have got will make a lot of difference.

With an old table you sometimes get very dense wood- such as Cuban mahogany. Many of these hardwoods are now unobtainable. Denser wood makes for a better bounce ceteris paribus.
                      王可

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post

As long as the bounce is even, and you don't have one springy cushion, it sounds like you've done a good job.
                        The rooms an extension that was put on the house in 1986 and there was a table in when I moved in Steve ,Changed tables in February when I re vamped and spring cleaned and painted the room , new carpet etc ,Mayfield and Geoff sorted the job and the table . there are no windows in the room which is something I doubt planning would pass these days ,but helps with constant temps .The table is steel block but I don't think its running quite as fast as yours by the sounds of it ,great job you have done doing that work yourself on a table ,not something I would be able to do I'm sure .When you put your new cloth on let us know the difference in speed or if there is much change in playing condition ,bounce ,kicks etc .

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                          That is very good bounce. The cloth you have got will make a lot of difference.

With an old table you sometimes get very dense wood- such as Cuban mahogany. Many of these hardwoods are now unobtainable. Denser wood makes for a better bounce ceteris paribus.
                          This is true ,one of the tables I play on at a club is an old Riley made of solid oak ,fast as hell and very consistent ,good as steels any day .

Comment

Steps to identify genuine Northern Rubber:

https://www.hainsworthtoptable.co.uk...Ojwh6MYuddgpVo

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
                              Steps to identify genuine Northern Rubber:

https://www.hainsworthtoptable.co.uk...Ojwh6MYuddgpVo
                              I always wondered what the yellow dot was all about on my rubbers... now I know!

Comment

Working...
                              X