Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you prefer a cloth with lots of napp or virtually none?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you prefer a cloth with lots of napp or virtually none?

We are always debating which cloth to get each year and every year the question of napp comes up, speed of cloth and roll off if we have a think cloth as the slates are getting older.

I guess I'm a little on the fence and it's nice to work the cue ball around with little to no effort on our Hainsworth Match Cloth but I do miss playing those slow drifting shots to the middle pocket where you can widen the angle by using napp.

Obviously if you hit a slower distance shot the white will also drift before the object ball and that can also drift if there's a decent distance to the pocket but I thought it added to the nerves especially when rolling up to a snooker and trying to allow for drift.

The only real issue I have playing on a nice thin cloth now is when we play on league games I generally get caught out at some point by not allowing for drift/napp at some point when I'm concentrating on the shot but forget it's not a home cloth!!
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Most of the 29 & 30 oz cloths don’t have much nap on them now ,I have 6811 on and get no drift to the middles .When you look at the old Strachen no 10 match cloth used in the 80’s even that had more nap on than any of the newer cloths now .If you want speed and grip then the new Strachen super fine is the way to go ,it’s very very fast lasts ok and produces lots of grip ,I belive it was used in last years champion of champions event ,Alan McManus said it was the best cloth he had ever played on when he had a go on one of outside practice tables .Steve Barton has it on his table now and he reckons it’s fantastic ,I think I’ll fit one next year too ..Just remember though to fit 6811 to the cushions .

Comment

Just remember that Aramith balls don't work well with a heavy nap and this is the reason why thinner cloths had to be introduced. It's a toss up between ease of play and how long a cloth will last especially when you have a club full of bangers with hard flat oem tips on their sticks. Our match table was recovered with a finer cloth than the other two tables pre pandemic and had been ripped within two weeks
      Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Yeah ,good points there Vmax

Comment

I don't have the luxury of knowing good cloths well. I know I like a faster table that supports a touch game well. One where not having to bash blacks in off the back cushion all the time which takes it toll on your game and ultimately scoring. Last year I played on a 30oz cloth and was told it was 6811, all I know is when I was low on a red below the pack and opened the reds, they sprayed out like confetti, the game seemed so much easier and enjoyable.

At the end of the day where I live, you either drive an hour or so to get better conditions or you make do. I must say though at my age now, I feel I owe it to myself to play on better tables that are straight and true and have consistent bounce etc. I know I have another ton or two in me but have recently realised its unlikely on the tables i mainly play on which run off and have inconsistent cushions.
          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
            I don't have the luxury of knowing good cloths well. I know I like a faster table that supports a touch game well. One where not having to bash blacks in off the back cushion all the time which takes it toll on your game and ultimately scoring. Last year I played on a 30oz cloth and was told it was 6811, all I know is when I was low on a red below the pack and opened the reds, they sprayed out like confetti, the game seemed so much easier and enjoyable.

At the end of the day where I live, you either drive an hour or so to get better conditions or you make do. I must say though at my age now, I feel I owe it to myself to play on better tables that are straight and true and have consistent bounce etc. I know I have another ton or two in me but have recently realised its unlikely on the tables i mainly play on which run off and have inconsistent cushions.
            I couldn’t agree more especially the last paragraph .

Comment

Well much to my surprise my club has chosen 6811 tournament to recloth all 5 tables... Omg it's gorgeous, what a pleasure to play on, I'd say the tables are 25/30% faster and side takes much more affect. Personally I'm taking to it well but just getting caught out on speed a little but it's such a confidence booster not having to bash shots in off the black to get up and down etc etc.

We have a WhatsApp group at the club where we arrange games\matches etc and I'd love some advice on how we can best maintain these cloths going forward, so any advice on regularity of ironing, brushing, blocking at this stage would be much appreciated and I think a stretch at 6 months is in order?? Cheers
              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Well much to my surprise my club has chosen 6811 tournament to recloth all 5 tables... Omg it's gorgeous, what a pleasure to play on, I'd say the tables are 25/30% faster and side takes much more affect. Personally I'm taking to it well but just getting caught out on speed a little but it's such a confidence booster not having to bash shots in off the black to get up and down etc etc.

We have a WhatsApp group at the club where we arrange games\matches etc and I'd love some advice on how we can best maintain these cloths going forward, so any advice on regularity of ironing, brushing, blocking at this stage would be much appreciated and I think a stretch at 6 months is in order?? Cheers
                I’ll see you down there CC

Comment

Originally Posted by Starsky View Post

I’ll see you down there CC
                  You will be very welcome mate, and a great cat amongst pigeons in a mini comp if we get one going.
                  ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

You will be very welcome mate, and a great cat amongst pigeons in a mini comp if we get one going.
                    Sort me out a good handicap and we can spilt any winnings 50/50 …..if you pay my entry that is

I bet those tables play really nice with decent cloths on them . You’ll see some bigger breaks from the better players like yourself once you get used to them .

Comment

Cue Creafty you’ve pretty much nailed it with the maintaince ,regular brushing and blocking and make sure the tables have spots ,the 8 mill ones from Amazon that are cheap and iron on well and can be changed regular is all you need ,spots really are needed to stop wear and they really don’t impede the playing conditions .regular brushing near the jaws of the pockets really help keep the tracking lines down to a minimum too .

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post
                        Cue Creafty you’ve pretty much nailed it with the maintaince ,regular brushing and blocking and make sure the tables have spots ,the 8 mill ones from Amazon that are cheap and iron on well and can be changed regular is all you need ,spots really are needed to stop wear and they really don’t impede the playing conditions .regular brushing near the jaws of the pockets really help keep the tracking lines down to a minimum too .
                        Thanks Mikee!
                        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I must say though at my age now, I feel I owe it to myself to play on better tables that are straight and true and have consistent bounce etc. I know I have another ton or two in me but have recently realised its unlikely on the tables i mainly play on which run off and have inconsistent cushions.
                          Agreed. I guess we've all had a decent time to think about things whilst Covid has been going on.

I certainly don't want to waste any time unless I'm enjoying snooker and the tables make a huge impact on this.
                          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

What is nap? Thicknesses?

Comment

…….

Comment

Working...
                              X