When was this table made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When was this table made?

There's hope after all. After losing out on a deal concerning a table yesterday, I stumbled upon another beauty from our very own Maryfield. I am going to buy it. No doubt that its genuine. I need your help to find the year it was made. It's a B&W Oak table with steel block cushions and the cushions on the middles would be upgraded to avoid the middle pocket bounce back too.

100-uper or Geoff Large or any of our other experts, could you please help me date it? maryfield
    Last edited by fkhan; 4 August 2022, 09:04 PM.

https://ibb.co/x5QrBZn

Comment

It is a beauty. Ir has the Rigidus frame which is always an advantage,

Unfortunately all B & W records were destroyed in the blitz. So if it is pre war you don't stand much chance of finding out when it was made. BTW I have a similar B & W but mine is in South American mahogany.
      王可

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
        It is a beauty. Ir has the Rigidus frame which is always an advantage,

Unfortunately all B & W records were destroyed in the blitz. So if it is pre war you don't stand much chance of finding out when it was made. BTW I have a similar B & W but mine is in South American mahogany.
        Thank you. I was told it might be atleast 80 years old. May I know what a rigidus frame is? It would be ever better if I knew the exact date.
        Last edited by fkhan; 5 August 2022, 12:47 PM.

Comment

https://johnbennettbilliards.co.uk/p...snooker-table/

I found a link which says that it's from the 30's. Is this the same model?
          Last edited by fkhan; 5 August 2022, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Look at the spacing of the legs down each side. They are nor equidistant. The middle ones are close together so they are under slate joints. Apparently they also made on with 12 legs so that all the joints were supported. Imagine levelling that, but once done it would be superb.

1930s is probably about right. I don't suppose any would be made in the war. We had other priorities!
            王可

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
              Look at the spacing of the legs down each side. They are nor equidistant. The middle ones are close together so they are under slate joints. Apparently they also made on with 12 legs so that all the joints were supported. Imagine levelling that, but once done it would be superb.

1930s is probably about right. I don't suppose any would be made in the war. We had other priorities!
              Thanks. I assume it does not have the muntins then.

Comment

They are where the legs are. See my PM.
                王可

Comment

If that table is nearly 100 years old and the slates are still level, I wouldn't be worrying about it. Saying that adjustable muntin aren't hatd to retro fit.
                  This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                  https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                    If that table is nearly 100 years old and the slates are still level, I wouldn't be worrying about it. Saying that adjustable muntin aren't hatd to retro fit.
                    I have the knowledge of a toddler when it comes to tables especially the antiques. Philip pointed out that it has muntins. I don't doubt the quality of the table.

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
                      It has the appearance of a Burroughes & Watts 'York' table, made between the wars.

This is one of their adverts from 1922. It was supplied with either a 'rigidus' or ordinary frame.

Comment

Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post

It has the appearance of a Burroughes & Watts 'York' table, made between the wars.

This is one of their adverts from 1922. It was supplied with either a 'rigidus' or ordinary frame.

Wow, thank you for the detailed explanation. It has the list of what it came with and how much it costed too. The pockets were the nice bag styled one's too. The table is exactly a 100 years old then

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post

Wow, thank you for the detailed explanation. It has the list of what it came with and how much it costed too. The pockets were the nice bag styled one's too. The table is exactly a 100 years old then
                          They were certainly supplying them in 1922, but your table could have been made any time between the wars.

Comment

Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post

They were certainly supplying them in 1922, but your table could have been made any time between the wars.
                            Thank you.

Comment

I’m not sure what you mean by upgrading the cushions on the middle pockets on the table ,the only way to fix the middle pocket bounded out is replace the cushion wood freezes with new wider ones .I would keep it like it is ,until you play on it you can’t really tell how often or how bad the bounce out is ,it might be ok .The bounce out problem is only really relevant when you hammer one full pace clean to the back of the pocket plate .One way may be to fill the holes where the pocket plates go in to the wooden cushion and re drill them a tad further back and fit a flat back BCE plate that sits flush with the back of the cushion freeze ,BCE cushions are not as wide like a Star or a Rasson but the plate is right back to allow a clean drop in to the bag ,also the BCE plate on the inside is cut and angled down to force the ball down ,B&W plate is just flat .

Comment

Working...
                              X