No announcement yet.

Cushion / rail height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well you are getting into more technical stuff trying to use steel block cushions , I doubt if you could make these youreself ( put it this way I could not make them, I can only put parts together allready sourced for steels ), the cushions differ from normal cushions in that the slip that holds the colth in is on the reverse of the block , on a normal cushion it is on the top , and the cushion is in one piece .

the cushion is in two parts realy , the steel with block and rubber attached and covered is bolted to the slate , and the capping suround which bolts to the back of the steel plate.

It would be better for you to just make standard cushions .

Good picture's though and one that shows the slide in panel covering the cushion bolt hole's which will be of use to Mike P and his pocket problem . If mike is reading this I think his cushions have had the bottom moulding planed down past the bottom slot then buttons put over the Bolt holes , but with the main body being Scotch pine it shows this lower priced wood without the panel to hide it .
    wish I could post picture's , I'm not too good on a PC .
    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

In actuality I need just a picture of the end of the rail, for imagine how it look - and will "inven" something same. It can be with, or without steel bar ...

Geoff if You can`t post a picture - You can send by E-mail to me this picts ... and I`ll post theirs... =)

thx a lot!
      Last edited by nideKer; 10 April 2009, 11:25 AM.

Comment

These photos are of an old set waiting to be re-lined and rubbered:

Last edited by moglet; 11 August 2009, 09:01 PM.

Comment

thanks moglet it`s that what I have searched!
          If you not against - I post these photos in my blog?

Comment

Can any one plz reupload these images as the links do not work any more. thank you.

Comment

Here I've put all templates from this topic...

http://www.nideker.narod.ru/staff/tamplates.tsf.zip

Enjoy it! :snooker:

Comment

nose height

in billiards and some other specs they use a % of ball diameter to remove variables in height. 62-63.5 % or something in carom i believe.

Comment

May I ask if you have a perfect cushion and fitted perfectly, should the ball bounce off with the same speed before the impact, or should the ball slow down a fraction? (assuming no spin on the ball) I understand this is the most ideal case, but I often ask the same question but have different opinions. Thank you.

Comment

Originally Posted by bwls730 View Post
                    May I ask if you have a perfect cushion and fitted perfectly, should the ball bounce off with the same speed before the impact, or should the ball slow down a fraction? (assuming no spin on the ball) I understand this is the most ideal case, but I often ask the same question but have different opinions. Thank you.
                    It is physically impossible for it to bounce off with *exactly* the same speed. The kinetic energy of the ball is converted into heat and sound, plus expended to compress the rubber. The rubber returns most of the energy to the ball as it sends it on it's way, but some can also be lost if the rubber is not uniform and it's redirected in a less exact direction.

The real Q you have to ask is how much speed is lost due to the collision, and you can probably sensibly measure that as a percentage of the original speed. Hmm, I wonder if the amount of speed lost vs the speed of the ball is linear, or if more or less is lost at high/low speeds.
                    "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                    - Linus Pauling

Comment

Or put it this way, should the function of the cushion be slowing down the balls? or should it bonuce the balls off as close to the impact speed as possible?

Comment

Rule of thumb on american pool tables is 2/3 of ball diameter. So with 2 1/16" balls used in the UK mostly, the measurement would be about 1 3/8" from the slate, up to the bottom edge of the block rail it would seem.
                        Renegade_56

Mike Wooldridge Black Shark

Raffle For Chris Nitti Custom Pool Cue

www.classifiedbillards.com/mybb

Comment

Originally Posted by Renegade_56 View Post
                          Rule of thumb on american pool tables is 2/3 of ball diameter. So with 2 1/16" balls used in the UK mostly, the measurement would be about 1 3/8" from the slate, up to the bottom edge of the block rail it would seem.
                          American Pool rubber is triangular , English Billiard rubber is L shaped with a flat face edge , the bottom of this face should make contact just above centre of a ball , at 1 3/8ths the to bottom edge a 2 1/16th ball would be well under the rubber and hardly any bounce .

Geoff
                          [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Well if there would be hardly any bounce by the ball hitting an edge, then how do balls bounce off of american cushions where there is nothing except edge to hit? The reason for 2/3 of ball diameter is to hinder the ball bouncing when it impacts the cushion at speed. If the ball hits an edge it's force would be minimized less (less surface contact), and with good rubber, have ample rebound, as opposed to hitting flatly into a cushion face. If that is correct it explains why you don't see alot of bank shots in UK Snooker.
                            Renegade_56

Mike Wooldridge Black Shark

Raffle For Chris Nitti Custom Pool Cue

www.classifiedbillards.com/mybb

Comment

Working...
                            X