No announcement yet.

Stevens & Sons of Clapham Junction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still struggling to see what I want to look at, but the pictures do give more information. Although the resolution is very low, I get the impression from their shape and colour that the cushions have been replaced, and are later than the frame. Perhaps someone else can recognise the cushions, which I think may be relatively modern.

That certainly isn't helpful in dating the rest of the table, as the leg shape is generic and the stencilled address could apply to an extended period. Most of my references for this company come from documents (adverts, etc.) rather than the actual markings they applied to their tables. I'd like to think that the serial number indicated a date of 1881, but at this date they were advertising their address as "Villiers Street, Strand," although I suppose they could have been marking their tables differently.

Not sure that any of this is really much assistance.

Comment

Hi mensch72
      Is it possible to get a photo like this one, showing the leg and the "knee boards" and "bolt covers" (I don't know official names )
      Knee boards are those between the legs.
      Bolt Covers is the flat rectangular piece attached to the face of the leg
      These features can sometimes help identify make/model and dates x-fingers

I have this table marked as a R. Stevens & Sons, Villiers Street, Charing Cross, c1920
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

better?

Comment

the partial sanding down and coloring is my work, only the very dark parts i have not worked on. i also think the cushions might be newer.

Comment

I assume you don't have any plates that go over the bolt holes?
            As you can see your "knee-boards" have the same design as the one I put up
            Remember, some designs - of legs, knee-boards, bolt-plates, etc - were used over many years.
            I have no information of the leg design, hopefully 100-uper will pop on

Comment

There are very plain, small round covers for the bolt holes, not such large plates. I didn't put them in since I preferred the look without them.

Comment

not an expert on tables but it is known to have little bolt hole "cops" instead of plates but usually on the rails not the leg tops

by the way - nice table
                only a little jealous
                Last edited by DeanH; 20 April 2021, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Dean! Yes, I also like this old lady very much and am nice to her. I regularly play her gramophone records from her youth :-)

Do you think the fact that she has bolt hole cups instead of plates tells us anything about the age?

Comment

you got those cylinders with His Master's Voice?

Sorry no idea about bolt caps and age determination

Comment

yes, the dog. But you can play those records also on an electric record player if you use the right sapphire.

Comment

Working...
                      X