what bulbs? wattage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what bulbs? wattage?

our current table as 200w bulbs on it, but 2 have blown and i can only find 150w ones, would these be sufficient you feel or would it seem alot dimmer??

are these energy saving or the older tungsten bulbs?

You may want to try daylight bulbs which are much brighter and more of a white coloured light. Many clubs i go in have these now, they are energy savers and last years.

Comment

they're normal tungsten bulbs, i was thinking energy savers but won't i have to sit and have a cup of tea for 5 minutes for them to warm up?

what about 150w bulbs? would they be much difference

Comment

there aren't many tungsten bulbs around now as they have stopped a lot of production so getting used to energy savers may be the way to go.

They aren't that bad now, they don't take long to reach full brightness and the daylight bulbs are brighter than any tungsten equivalent imo. They are around £6 a bulb, which is the only downside, but will last around 8000 hours, so easily a few years worth before they pop.

Comment

You may not have a choice for much longer.
          I'm sure that production of Tungsten bulbs over 60W was now banned.

Comment

Go and get some from the government, they have bought some at £22 a piece (The Labour Gov I must say).

Would think 150 will do the job. I think they use 100's on our tables and they are a bit on the dim side. A tight lot here!
            :snooker:

Comment

You realy should be looking to the new type of lighting that many are going over to .
              2 units 5 foot long end to end , with two tubes in each , the lighting is way ahead of any coffin shade and those low watt bulbs .
              I have seen many now in clubs up and down the country .

you can have them mounted directly to the ceiling if it is within 5 foot , above 5 foot and you will have to hang them .

you also get rid of the problem of talking to someone the other side of the table without seeing their face , a problem that comes with coffin shades .

here are some advertised on ebay , not bad price compered to some selling them with hanging Kit .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PROFESSIONAL-L...item2c5038191d

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PROFESSIONAL-L...item2c50381954

although I would point out you can buy them from any electrical wholesaler for much lower prices .
              they come with white light tubes and are low frequency so no flicker like the old flouresent tubing , making them ideal for Snooker or Pool table lighting .
              If you get the right retailer there are some nice designs you can order in stainless steel oval trim that look very good .

take a look at these compton synthesis range , very stylish for the Home table if you require something a bit contempary .

http://www.fxmagazine.co.uk/marketpl...sp?adcode=2110

these are also upward lighting to get a back ground light to the room and also downward concentrated light to the table .
              Last edited by Geoff Large; 6 March 2011, 10:47 AM.
              [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Yes, we just had those installed in my club. The illumination is so much better and even over the whole table. The whole club is brighter and more open as they are hung so much higher.
                Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Comment

Originally Posted by nevets View Post
                  Yes, we just had those installed in my club. The illumination is so much better and even over the whole table. The whole club is brighter and more open as they are hung so much higher.
                  and much Brighter for the billiard fitter when he has to recover

the under shadow of the ball is greatley reduced as the ball rolls to the side of the table , you do not get a long shadow like the coffin shades give , alloy polished louvres reflect the tube light many times to increase the effect of brightness YET they do not Dazzle you .

in my opinion , and Hey i am not selling them so it is not a sales push , they are the dog's googlies .

and price wise

a new coffin shade is around £350 + vat
                  these lighting per pair ( enough for one full size table ) start direct from retailer without hanging kit at around £110 inc vat and tubes .

You will require a qualified electrician to put these up for you , or youre insurance could be void if a fire broke out due to faulty fitting .**** Clubs better take note of this ****
                  Last edited by Geoff Large; 6 March 2011, 10:37 AM.
                  [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

The days of the gloomy, smoky men-only clubs are truly over. Whether that's a good thing or not depends on you point of view I suppose!

In terms of playing snooker though, modern lighting is great. Only trouble is, when I play away on tables with the old coffin shades now, it feels like the light hasn't been switched on at all!
                    Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Comment

You can get lamps now that are 102watts but give out 150watt of light.
                      we have two lamps next to each other two at both ends and 2 in the middle. more than enough light.

Comment

I have 5, 23 watt energy saving lamps in my shade = to 600 watts.
                        They are up to speed by the time I am ready to play and give a very good light in a conventional shade.
                        Roy Bacon

Comment

Originally Posted by roykay View Post
                          I have 5, 23 watt energy saving lamps in my shade = to 600 watts.
                          They are up to speed by the time I am ready to play and give a very good light in a conventional shade.
                          Roy Bacon
                          Ok for a private table but not really a club pay light

Comment

so you recommend i get the 200w energy savers then?

Comment

Then you will not want to come to where I play, nevets.
                              :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X