Off to France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off to France

I am off to France on sunday 20th March , to fit a full size Oak Burroughs and watts steel block very heavy slated square leg which is a 1930s Arts and Crafts table for a client .
    they live 50 miles south of Nort in the south West of france , the client is arranging a fork lift when we get there as it is an upstairs install , I will take a Few Photo's of the install and post them later when we get back if they are of intrest to anyone .
    hope to stop off at Rouen on the way back , been there 3 years ago and liked it very much , it's where Joan of arc was burned at the stake .
    the only steak we will be having will be on a plate and medium rare

Geoff
    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Sounds like a tough job Geoff
    Do you ever get to an upstairs install where the clients floor just aint strong enough to cope ??

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
      Do you ever get to an upstairs install where the clients floor just aint strong enough to cope ??
      i presume his name is large for a reason he's still posting jrc so he aint gone through any floor boards yet

Comment

Look forward to your return Geoff........

Comment

Look forward to the pics Geoff , have a nice time

:snooker::snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            I have worked on one install where the floor was that poor , that acro jacks where used in the Garage under the floor to prop it up and the customers Bentley was left outside for a year , it was very hair raising to put that table in , and the install never worked the floor was too flexy and balls where running off all over the place when people walked around the table .
            it was a very interesting table though a 20 Barley twist legs in oak by Orme ans sons , with connecting referectory stringers around the base of the legs , with stringers also connecting internaly across from leg to leg ..
            he bought the table for £3000 a year later he auctioned it off for £10,000 .
            and his beloved Bentley got it's Garage back .

I have also done a few tables where I went to level and when I jacked the table up . it was the floor that moved down , not the table that moved up when i was putting the leveling pieces under the legs .

i have just done an install up two flights of stairs for Yells on this forum , a 10ft Karnhem and hillman , that was a tough job too as the stairs was tight , but to give yells some credit he helped get the slates up . and i think is was avery nice table that suited the room and house

Right it is nearley 9 am and my partner is due any minute to go to France , I like to travel down on a Sunday to miss the traffic , stopping over at Le mans at a Capernile Hotel , we use them a lot on the continent .

Geoff

Comment

I hope you enjoy your trip and the install goes well. Cant wait to see the table, sounds like this guy as some dough. Lol
              Cheers,
              I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Sounds like fun. Enjoy yourself geoff. Like the others I will look forward to the pics.

Comment

WELL , what an event full last few days , everything was going well until the van broke down near Tours , had to be towed off the motorway to a country village garage , the recovery driver then went for his 2 hour lunch break , we where then transported to Tours opel garage as it is a vauxhall van , we will have to put it onto a computer says the garage not until 2nd day though then we will have to order parts then fix on the third day , it's the egr valve I tried to explain , just change it and we can be on our way

a night in an hotel and a new hire van and we unloaded the table from our broken down van to our new van and where on our way again a day late but we got there .

the lady of the house was very good to us , we got stuck into the job and unloaded the table and uplifted it all by forklift to an upstairs part of a barn conversion , we finished the job around 8pm and she fed us before running us down to a hotel for the night .
                  next morning we finished the job off and gave instructions on how to brush and iron etc , fed again and back on the road to tours to pick up our van , 545 euro's paid and we had our van back , and guess what they changed the egr valve , drove all the way to calais and stayed in a hotel , next morning a trip to the wine outlet to stock up 300 euro of wine loaded and we made the 12.05 ferry , back in the uk now but not yet at home as I have to take a table out on Friday so stayed over in lincoln , hope to be back to post photo's by weekend .
                  Last edited by Geoff Large; 24 March 2011, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Your wine

Is it still a lot cheaper to buy wine in France & tobacco in Belgium? I know it was when I was in UK but that was a long time ago now.
                    王可

Comment

here are a few photo's of the full size B&Watts install in France . as you can see the forklift made light work of lifting the slate's and all the woodwork upstairs through an opening that will be later on Bricked up and a window put in .

Geoff

The Barn conversion

The main house

and here is a photo of an american Sam K steel 9ft Pool table I installed today , it's been a busy week .

Last edited by Geoff Large; 25 March 2011, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks Geoff, nice table & looks like its going to be a very nice room indeed

Comment

Working...
                        X