New Carpet in Snooker Room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Carpet in Snooker Room

My social club is looking to recarpet the snooker room (about time too!), the committee have asked me if I know of any problems/pit-falls that can happen to a table that has not been moved since the 80s.
    Also any recommendations for anyone that knows what they are doing with regards the recarpeting. We are located in the Berkshire/Surrey/Hampshire border area.

Many thanks
    DeanH
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Maybe just leave table where it is lol, cut old carpet around legs, then get decent fitter to put new one down, or use carpet tiles ???

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
      Maybe just leave table where it is lol, cut old carpet around legs, then get decent fitter to put new one down, or use carpet tiles ???
      Cutting around the legs - that was my thoughts as well
      It will definitely be a roll of carpet as they are matching what was recently laid in the main bar area.
      Cheers

Comment

No different really to moving any table so long as you get someone in who knows what they are doing. Maybe the table will need re-levelling as whenever you transfer a table onto a different surface there is always a chance it will be out but then anyone who has moved tables should know this already.

Oh and by the way, don't just think its a case of lifting table and moving, it will need to be completely taken down slates n all and then re-erected!

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
          No different really to moving any table so long as you get someone in who knows what they are doing. Maybe the table will need re-levelling as whenever you transfer a table onto a different surface there is always a chance it will be out but then anyone who has moved tables should know this already.

Oh and by the way, don't just think its a case of lifting table and moving, it will need to be completely taken down slates n all and then re-erected!
          I had visions of some of the "lads from the bar" (you know the type ), after a few jars obviously, coming in with their carjacks!

Comment

My bother is a carpet fitter and I know a little on the subject. there is no need to put any carpet under the table and I would suggest that you carpet to the edge and put a trim around the edge. The second option will be to cut the carpet in around the leg and under the table. This requires a lot more work and the cuts will have to be jointed with a heat seemer. What ever option you go for make sure you get a good fitter and DO NOT TAKE THE TABLE APART.

Comment

I do beleive the plan is to carpet under the table as well, to replace the old one that is under there.
              You can see that the old one was laid in sections around the legs and obviously over the many years the joins have been exposed.
              Cheers Cazmac1 - by the way the tournament balls are still rolling nicely, thanks.

Comment

Everybody thinks about moving the table or cutting the carpet out around the legs when fitting.

Why not just use carpet tiles? yeah ok they are more expensive but advantages are when they start to wear around the table you can swap them with ones that are not so warn, they will last much longer than carpet and you could even do a half and half job!! tiles under and around the table then carpet elsewhere if you have a large space to fill.

Comment

Originally Posted by ferret View Post
                  Everybody thinks about moving the table or cutting the carpet out around the legs when fitting.

Why not just use carpet tiles? yeah ok they are more expensive but advantages are when they start to wear around the table you can swap them with ones that are not so warn, they will last much longer than carpet and you could even do a half and half job!! tiles under and around the table then carpet elsewhere if you have a large space to fill.
                  Hi Ferret, as mentioned previously the committee are planning to match the new carpet that was laid in the rest of the club.
                  It is not a high volume of traffic area, so should last quite a long time
                  Cheers

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                    I do beleive the plan is to carpet under the table as well, to replace the old one that is under there.
                    You can see that the old one was laid in sections around the legs and obviously over the many years the joins have been exposed.
                    Cheers Cazmac1 - by the way the tournament balls are still rolling nicely, thanks.
                    glad to hear it dean

Comment

The best option is to have a square under the Table that never requires Carpeting or disturbing , I have seen many Carpet fitters jack up and move leveling pieces from under the leg and although they put them back on top of the new Carpet , the Level is never the same , also slate joints can be moved if they jack up too high .
                      Cutting around the leg is an option but when the table ever requires leveling the table has to be jacked higher to level on any future leveling work .

My advice to youre club is pay for it to be totaly dismantled , have the Square put down and never have this problem to solve in future . this may add extra cost for this work but in the long run you will never have to worry about it again as the Square under the
                      table is never walked on and will never wear out .

A square of Carpet tiles or a square of wood flooring for the Table to stand on with an alloy trim for any Carpet to be clamped into around the table without encroaching on the leg area , this will leave the leg free of any obsticles for future leveling , and will enable future Carpet changing around the Table in future years without having to go any where near the table legs .
                      [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post

not always the case , if a billiard fitter can jack each leg up and then remove the leveling pieces , put a carpet tile under the leg and also leveling pieces that was removed from that leg , then lower the leg back down , move jack along for the next leg etc , the fitter can put a complete section of carpet tiles under the table without dismantleing the table , it will then need a recheck for complete level , i have done this many times .

the result is a section of carpet tiles under the table , they can then make the choice of carrying on the Carpet tiles or put carpet edging around the table missing the whole table by 1 inch from the legs , and then recarpet the rroom .
                        Its a Billiard fitter they want to do the section under the table not a Carpet fitter though .

One probl;em that Billiard fitters do not like is a thick underlay and carpet fitted up to a leg of a table , they have to jack up more than is acceptable to do any releveling work and also makes hard removal of compressed shims from the recess under the leg , if a leg is just on top of these shims then getting them out is easier without the problem of carpets getting in the way .

Many owners can put tiles under the legs themselves from the way described above jacking just enough to put a tile under and replace the shims taken out , then get a Billiard fitter in to say stretch the Bed cloth or recover and at the same time relevel , they must start with a Centre line under the table from one end to the other and work away from this with their Carpet tiles .
                        Trimming the Carpet tiles 1 inch away from the table leg with a straight edge , but they can get the Carpet fitters to do this , or they may even decide to just carry on the room in Carpet tiles .
                        Last edited by Geoff Large; 16 April 2011, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Sounds like a job on the cards geoff, I suppose if the table hasn't been done for a while it would make sense to have the table taken apart and redone.

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
                            The best option is to have a square under the Table that never requires Carpeting or disturbing , I have seen many Carpet fitters jack up and move leveling pieces from under the leg and although they put them back on top of the new Carpet , the Level is never the same , also slate joints can be moved if they jack up too high .
                            Cutting around the leg is an option but when the table ever requires leveling the table has to be jacked higher to level on any future leveling work .

My advice to youre club is pay for it to be totaly dismantled , have the Square put down and never have this problem to solve in future . this may add extra cost for this work but in the long run you will never have to worry about it again as the Square under the
                            table is never walked on and will never wear out .

A square of Carpet tiles or a square of wood flooring for the Table to stand on with an alloy trim for any Carpet to be clamped into around the table without encroaching on the leg area , this will leave the leg free of any obsticles for future leveling , and will enable future Carpet changing around the Table in future years without having to go any where near the table legs .
                            Hi Geoff, many thanks for your comments, I will pass on the scenarios you have described.

Comment

If you go down the option of jacking up and putting in a section of carpet tiles without a full dismantle , then take note .

Some frames on tables are Dowled jointed at leg joints others Morticed and tennon , , if morticed table then you can only jack on side of frame , dowled you can jack anywhere .

if you jack up at the end of the table on morticed jointed tables then you run the risk of having both end slates raied high at the end as the morticed end cross section will move upwards taking the slate up with it .

Comment

Working...
                              X