Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on new lighting for full size table

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Advice on new lighting for full size table

    Hi to all I hope I'm posting this on the correct forum.
    I have a full size table with the old style coffin light shade with 3 x 200 watt bulbs.
    I've thinking of updating to having the new style with energy efficent tubes.
    Can anyone tell me please what is the correct size, height above the table which tubes are the best eg daylight? and or any other info that I would need.
    Many thanks in advance
    Detroitman

  • #2
    detroitman:

    I am at the Southwest Snooker Academy in Gloucester right now and they have some amazing lights installed here. They are the standard commercial neon fixtures but have the mirrored top and they have 4 of them lined up in 2 rows so effectively they have 4 8ft long neon bulbs (60W) per 4ft section but they have them quite high over the table. The lighting is very bright.

    I would recommend 2 of the double 4ft placed end-to-end down the middle of the table and about 4ft above the table and that should give plenty of light. I'm not sure what they cost but I think around £200 each double 4ft section

    Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

    Comment


    • #3
      check out this site they are based in gateshead and have fitted these lights in most of the clubs in our local leagues.

      www.breakaway-snookerandpool.co.uk/lights

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi Guys, new to the forum. I am just about to fit my snooker room out, have my Riley Aristocrat Tournment Champion S
        JP Majestic
        3/4
        57"
        17oz
        9.5mm Elk

        Comment


        • #5
          Denmans electrical wholesalers , sell white light flouresent light units ( high frequency ) each containing 2 tubes and are 5 foot units , two of these end to end is all that is required the total lenth being 10 foot for two 5ft units , many having been fitted to local clubs in the midlands includeing Stapleford cue club and Newark cue club , both of these clubs having pro players playing on exhibition nights . Mark Selby being the latest later this month at Stapleford cue club .
          They retail at just £50 inc vat and tubes per 5ft unit so £100 per table , you may require the wire cables and fixings to hang them though .
          some sell these light units on ebay at £400 a pair , various makes but all are very simular , when they cost just £100 a pair .

          http://www.dextralighting.co.uk/surface click on duet down the list



          web site for branch near you http://www.denmans.co.uk/branches.html

          just ask for high frequency modular surface lighting with white light tubes 2 x 5 ft units , the make is Dextra model is duet . also omni and solution surface are other designs in this Dextra range that are also used for billiard table lighting ..

          hang around 5 foot from bed , if ceiling is around 5 ft attach to ceiling direct , if greater , hang from wires or chain .

          Newark cue club have all tables with this lighting , Stapleford have 3 tables with this lighting the others having the old coffin lights , and it is when you see this new lighting next to the old lighting , you notice how bright they are , the old lights being a yellow glow and long shadows at the side of the balls , with the new lighting , shadows are elimintaed to just under the ball and only protrude slightly to one side , it is hard to explain without a demonstration , but get them fitted and you will see the differance .
          Last edited by Geoff Large; 2nd June 2011, 10:07 PM.
          [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Had 2 of these delivered yesterday. The frame is metal, not plastic like I thought, it looks fantastic.

            http://www.rileyleisure.com/store/ac...e/default.aspx

            Will post pics when table comes and is all up and running.
            JP Majestic
            3/4
            57"
            17oz
            9.5mm Elk

            Comment


            • #7
              I have the same light from Breakaway snooker it is fantastic so bright what a difference from my old on .

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mick 142 View Post
                I have the same light from Breakaway snooker it is fantastic so bright what a difference from my old on .
                How high is yours ?, nick. Mine cannot be ceiling mounted due to an air con ceiling cassette which will be directly above the table.
                JP Majestic
                3/4
                57"
                17oz
                9.5mm Elk

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by throtts View Post
                  How high is yours ?, nick. Mine cannot be ceiling mounted due to an air con ceiling cassette which will be directly above the table.
                  Mine is on the ceiling but you can get wires for it to hang off .

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mick 142 View Post
                    Mine is on the ceiling but you can get wires for it to hang off .
                    Yep, I have the hanging chains. Think I will go higher than the coffin club lights, maybe 60" above so one has complete table vision. I cant wait for the table to arrive now, should be somewhere near the end of this month because the Aristocrat is built on order..

                    Thanks, Mick.
                    JP Majestic
                    3/4
                    57"
                    17oz
                    9.5mm Elk

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by throtts View Post
                      How high is yours ?, nick. Mine cannot be ceiling mounted due to an air con ceiling cassette which will be directly above the table.
                      be aware air con above a table can leak water , this has happened a couple of times on the same air con unit in a local conservative club onto a table that I have worked on .
                      water proof cover when not in use would be a precaution to stop water damage to cloh and table woodwork .
                      [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Geoff Large View Post
                        be aware air con above a table can leak water , this has happened a couple of times on the same air con unit in a local conservative club onto a table that I have worked on .
                        water proof cover when not in use would be a precaution to stop water damage to cloh and table woodwork .
                        Thank you, thats an awesome point. Table comes with a cover so I will make sure its a good quality waterproof one.

                        Cheez. Geoff.
                        JP Majestic
                        3/4
                        57"
                        17oz
                        9.5mm Elk

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Be careful! I don't know how humidity is where you are but some air con outlets drip a bit of water. I am not talking about the water output from the compressor unit outside which is not relevant but the drip from the vent. If it is directly over your table be very careful not to run it at a high level on a hot, humid day!
                          王可

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by philip in china View Post
                            Be careful! I don't know how humidity is where you are but some air con outlets drip a bit of water. I am not talking about the water output from the compressor unit outside which is not relevant but the drip from the vent. If it is directly over your table be very careful not to run it at a high level on a hot, humid day!
                            Thank you, Philip.

                            Its going to be a pain in the ass just getting directly above the table to change and clean the filter. This is one of the main reasons why they drip, the filters need to be cleaned on a often basis to prevent this. Must be a ladder on the market that will dog leg over the table so I can get to the unit above, have to have a google.

                            Cheez...
                            JP Majestic
                            3/4
                            57"
                            17oz
                            9.5mm Elk

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Geoff Large View Post
                              Denmans electrical wholesalers , sell white light flouresent light units ( high frequency ) each containing 2 tubes and are 5 foot units , two of these end to end is all that is required the total lenth being 10 foot for two 5ft units , many having been fitted to local clubs in the midlands includeing Stapleford cue club and Newark cue club , both of these clubs having pro players playing on exhibition nights . Mark Selby being the latest later this month at Stapleford cue club .
                              They retail at just £50 inc vat and tubes per 5ft unit so £100 per table , you may require the wire cables and fixings to hang them though .
                              some sell these light units on ebay at £400 a pair , various makes but all are very simular , when they cost just £100 a pair .

                              http://www.dextralighting.co.uk/surface click on duet down the list



                              web site for branch near you http://www.denmans.co.uk/branches.html

                              just ask for high frequency modular surface lighting with white light tubes 2 x 5 ft units , the make is Dextra model is duet . also omni and solution surface are other designs in this Dextra range that are also used for billiard table lighting ..

                              hang around 5 foot from bed , if ceiling is around 5 ft attach to ceiling direct , if greater , hang from wires or chain .

                              Newark cue club have all tables with this lighting , Stapleford have 3 tables with this lighting the others having the old coffin lights , and it is when you see this new lighting next to the old lighting , you notice how bright they are , the old lights being a yellow glow and long shadows at the side of the balls , with the new lighting , shadows are elimintaed to just under the ball and only protrude slightly to one side , it is hard to explain without a demonstration , but get them fitted and you will see the differance .
                              http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk...th-cat2-louvre

                              What would be best, 'high efficiency' or 'high output' ?? Likely going to hang these 2 units as high as poss over the table, 2.4m above floor level.......thanks in advance!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X